Register now to get rid of these ads!

Motion Pictures Drinking & Driving... At Bonneville!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Dec 23, 2009.

1. Bobby Green

Bobby Green

I wish that dude with the flag was really the starter at Bonneville. That would rule !!!

2. had it been Lowenbrau they would have laid down a Shag track for it to run on. The King of Beers is now foreign owned, lets protect the domestic brewers that are left.

3. autobilly

autobilly

lol.

4. stude_trucks

stude_trucks

Wow, Mazooma1, you are one hell of a wild man. Blasting lions in the nuts with a fire extinguisher? Crazy. What was this thread about again?

5. Now this was a great post. Will be difficult to match this year. Still laughing.

6. Slim Pickens

Slim Pickens

DAMN. Doug you are NUTS. ditto

7. MODELA30

MODELA30

Budweiser king of beers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Stay thursty my friends. Knuck from indiana.

8. Salty

Salty
    from Florida

Agreed, this is in the running with the plowboy/playboy thread....

jimminey.....I love this site....

9. jms

jms
    from Chicago IL

I used to collect film and have seen a lot of faded film. Virtually all film from that era except for Technicolor and Kodachrome is faded. The three colors in color movie film are cyan, magenta and yellow. The cyan fades fastest, followed by the yellow and finally the magenta. Whoever did the transfer adjusted the color to try and bring out what was left, but there was virtually no blue left on the film. That's why everything looks so orange.

That yellow truck could just as well have been green before the blue color layer faded.

The salt flats sort of disguise the color loss. If there were trees or other greenery in the scene, the color fading would be more obvious. I'm surprised to learn that the car was painted red. Very cool commercial.

10. Wow man, that is one helluva story. I didn't know Gabelich drove that car, seems like that was about the time that he sent the LSR in the Blue Flame (?) car but he drove funny cars and fuel dragsters too. Now, about that lion story. He did that for $55 a day in '71? I was walking through National Park campgrounds picking up litter for the Park Service for $25 a day at that time. What was I thinking? I could have been spraying lions in the nuts with a fire extinguisher and making twice as much dough.

11. Bdamfino

Bdamfino
    from Hamlet, NC

Gray Baskerville covered this commercial in Hot Rod '74 or '75 when it was made. They had to modify the cockpit for Gabelich, he had messed his leg up pretty bad wrecking a four wheel drive Vega funny during that time, and I think he may have been partially paralyzed from that accident. Basketcase commented on the fake tubes they applied to the liner to give a Allison engine effect. Those were the days.

12. I apologize for bumping this 7+ year old thread (i.e., @Ryan's "Drinking & Driving... At Bonneville!" Blog was originally posted on December 23rd 2009), but I recently discovered these B&W still photographs taken October 24th 1974 during the filming of the Budweiser Ad:

Bud Ad Filming - October 24, 1974 (1).jpg
    Bud Ad Filming - October 24, 1974 (2).jpg
    Bud Ad Filming - October 24, 1974 (3).jpg
    Bud Ad Filming - October 24, 1974 (4).jpg
    Bud Ad Filming - October 24, 1974 (5).jpg
    Bud Ad Filming - October 24, 1974 (6).jpg
    Bud Ad Filming - October 24, 1974 (7).JPG
    Bud Ad Filming - October 24, 1974 (8).jpg

Last edited: May 11, 2017
  13. I love those crazy pipes 12 a side, too cool.

14. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I remember the chute came out upside down a few times during the filming...it was reshot many times. Some where there is a photo of it..

As for the title of this topic which I thought was going to be different. During my many years of waiting in line to run I've watched many drivers including some pretty famous liner drivers take a nip prior their run "just to settle their nerves" I would assume. I definately will not name names as most are deceased.

Last edited: May 11, 2017
    kidcampbell71 and loudbang like this.
  15. Chaz

Chaz
    Member Emeritus

That car never looked better! Say what you want about the pipes, they are cut in a perfect flow for that car and look AMAZING!

16. woodbutcher

woodbutcher

:D Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh yessssssssssssssssssss.I remember those ads well.Those were fun times.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo