Register now to get rid of these ads!

Motion Pictures Vintage Hardtops

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Jun 26, 2009.

1. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

2. SUHRsc

SUHRsc

I was going to make a seperate post for this....seems fitting to just post in here now
    .....tomorrow June 27th and sunday the 28th at the Latimore Valley Fairgrounds in Central PA they are holding the annual Latimore Valley fair... this is where the Jalopy Showdown is held each year.

from their site www.emmr.org
    25th ANNUAL LATIMORE VALLEY FAIR - A Country Festival
    Arts & Crafts / Music / Entertainment - Nightly
    Track Time - Sat & Sun Afternoons / Cruise-In Sat PM
    Latimore Valley Gas & Steam Engine Display
    Contact - Barb Paxton 717-528-8332

Theres alot of different activites going on for your whole family.

and heres a picture to keep this more on topic...
    [​IMG]

There is track time for the vintage race cars

3. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

One of my fondest childhood memories is the distant sound of Lake Hill Speedway in Valley Park, Mo. They'd race old 50's sedans back in the early '70s. Went there on my 5th birthday, never forget it.
    We'd hear the cars and announcer most Saturday evenings from the house.

4. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

Here's a couple pics from midwestmotorsports.com

Attached Files:

• L1.jpg
      L1.jpg
      File size:
      54.6 KB
      Views:
    • L17.jpg
      L17.jpg
      File size:
      31.1 KB
      Views:

5. justanotherguy

justanotherguy

I think that unknown "SF Bay Area track" could be Bay Meadows in San Mateo.

6. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

You sort of want to beat the shit out of a car like this.....but then your sort of don't. It's awesome to see where the roots of modern racing came from but I cringe slightly to think of all those cars that were destroyed for that type of racing.

7. Similar to what Hornet racing is today...Take a stock car, strip it down, add a safety feature or two, and then go out to the dirt track and make your pals eat dirt....except with WAY cooler cars.

8. cvstl

cvstl
    from StL MO
    1. H.A.M.B. Chapel

Man, I love dirt track racing, new and old.

1950ChevSub - They had a reunion day over at Lake Hill a couple of years ago. Had the place all cleaned up and I think even ran a few slow speed laps. Thinks Wallace Bros were there..... great pics. Back in early 90s, I lived about 8 - 10 mi from the old St. Charles Speedway and could hear them running on Sat nights from my back yard..... I'm not sure that the strip malls and subdivisions are what I call progress. Here's a pic you might like... http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2918473840060464735xtLrfL

Last edited: Jun 26, 2009
  9. Kettleman

Kettleman

This takes me back, the first race I ever attended was a dirt track race in Ohio. I think it was '73 or so. Visiting the grandparents and we made a trip to the track. The cars were of a different vintage but the same spirit was there.

10. 49 Custom

49 Custom

I second that notion. I live in the Bay Area so I am familiar with Bay Meadows, as well. I can say with a degree of certainty that it ISN'T Golden Gate Fields, as there are hills around that track.

Bay Meadows was demolished this past year to make way for new commercial/residential development.

11. rixrex

rixrex

from 69 to 74 that was top entertainment for us, besides going to the bar where they had one of those Pong video games!...that was Susanville Calif. most of the cars were 55-57 Chevys with an occasional Ford or Brand X..

12. flamingokid

flamingokid

Great video,but I'll have nightmares about all of those great cars getting destroyed.

13. Abomb

Abomb

In addition to the local carshow this year, these vintage dirt cars showed up and raced Saturday night along with our usual sprint car show. Then they had a fun day on Sunday afternoon. I believe it will be an annual event every June now in Oberlin KS.

Believe me, I'm on the prowl for a vintage "hardtop style" car at the moment, so I can join in the fun, if only one time a year.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. joebuick

joebuick

i love vintage dirt track racing

15. junquewerkz

junquewerkz

Although not in my hometown, this group hits our local track a couple times a year. Fun to watch! I'm sure some of the folks on here know a lot more about these guys than I do.

http://norcalvintagehardtops.com/

16. I love this video and old time racing. Me and my Dad used to go to Ascot in Gardena, Ca. on Saturdays or watch it on TV.

Does anyone know what the song is and who is playing in the back ground? Fits the Video perfectly.

17. 296 V8

296 V8
    BANNED
    from Nor~Cal

Were I grew up (Sacramento) this is what was considered a hardtop.
    My dad would take me to West Capital to watch them run. The track was right next to the river and if you lived anywhere near the river like I did you could hear them every Saturday night, even many miles away. It was a wonderful thing.
    Sacramento has a ton of dirt racing history that the wine and cheese crowd have swashed. Its all about River Walks and pro. sports and……………………………. We cant have any lowlife race cars disturbing the quiet evenings, can we.

[​IMG]

18. silverdome

silverdome

I liked the background music but I would really have liked is to hear them old engines. You cringe when you see them crashing and banging but then you remember those cars were'nt all that old back then.

19. You need to check these guys out in the Stockton, CA area. Nor Cal Vintage Hardtops http://norcalvintagehardtops.com/

Conrad let me know the name of the piece in the background... believe it or not, named Hardtop Special by Richie Loidl.

http://www.richieloidl.at/music/07 Hardtop Special.mp3

Thanks, Conrade. Really enjoyed your site and YouTube Videos,
    Dennis

Last edited: Jun 28, 2009
  20. Rusty Karz

Rusty Karz

When I was high school in the early 60s we used to go the the Sportsdrome Speedway in Grand Prairie, TX. My favorite driver was a guy named "Buck" Rodgers who drove a late 30s sedan(probably a Chevy)with a GMC six. That big old six would eat the v8s alive on that short track and made a sound that was unmistakable above the rest. I did not know Mr. Rodgers personally but always thought he was the classic dirt track guy. Would love to know more about him if anyone out there knew him from back then.

21. Think of how many cherry cars were trashed doing that or demo derbys....I know the racin is cool too, but man there had to be some cherry cars get totaled. A friend of mine bought a '65 cadillac coupe deville and destroyed it in a derby. such a waste, he got it for $500 so he didn't care.

22. miller91

miller91

23. So I'm no shorthand or texting genius... what does the bttt stand for? I see it all the time but have NFI what it means and all I can say is WTF??

Thanks

24. sanfordsotherson

sanfordsotherson
    from So. Cal.

Bump To The Top. In other words, by just typing in BTTT, it's a way to bring the thread back up to the top, or front, however you wanna look at it, without posting any comments.

25. Oh... thanks. Ya learn something new everyday.

26. I seem to remember that it was Tanforan that had the races. Wasn't Bay Meadows exclusively for the bangtails?

Also Oakland had a dirt track located at Foothill Blvd. and Edwards Ave. where the Eastmont Mall is now.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2009
  27. Men! Gird your loins! Prevent rupture!

"Come on in, I'm just boiling my jock."

Looks like it's made from steel mesh.

[​IMG]