Register now to get rid of these ads!

283 Chevy Question: Recessed Oilfilter Boss? Which Oilfilter

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Baumi, Apr 29, 2008.

1. Baumi

Baumi
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hi folks!
    I´m having some headaches with my 283 casting #3862194. It´s supposed to come from an 65 Chevy II and has the recessed oilfilter.

Unfortunately it came without an oil filter, and unlike any other SBC I´ve seen to this day, the oilfiter mounting provision is totally different. The screw on and canister type filters I know on early and later sbc usually have an aluminum mounting surface attached to the block by 2 bolts.

This block I have here only has a 3/4"-16 threaded hole in the block.

Maybe someone on here has an identical block, or knows what to use?
    Any help would be great!
    Thanks, Chris

2. racer32

racer32

Should use AC/Delco PF25.

3. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It shows to take a NAPA 1069 oil filter.

http://www.napaonline.com/MasterPag...&PartNumber=1069&Description=Oil+Filter+(Gold)

That link also shows the specs on the filter including the thread size.
    From looking at a photo of another block I am pretty sure that is all there is.

Here is another link to a list of filter numbers that you might be able to cross from. The AC being the factory filter.
    http://www.partsamerica.com/ProductList.aspx?parttype=1&ptset=A&searchfor=Oil+Filter

I'm in agreement with Racer32 as to the PF 25 filter and that should cross from the napa #1069

4. racer32

racer32

5. booboo

booboo
    1. oHIo

sounds like your oil fltr adapter is missing .look to mr gskt for a spin oil fltr adapter. then you can use an ac delco pf25,pf35 or pf1218 with a anti bleed back diaphram..the adapter part number from GM is part number 3952301.maybe a gm dealer over there can get this for you

6. novadude

novadude

Second the PF1218 recommendation.

7. Deuce Roadster

Deuce Roadster
    Member Emeritus

[​IMG]

Does your block look like this?
    This is a Chevy II block :)

8. Baumi

Baumi
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yes, that´s exactly what my block looks like.Does this type of block usually use a canister type oilfiter?
    Thanks! Chris

9. Baumi

Baumi
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I just checked my block again, and it looks like the block Deuce Roadster posted has two threaded holes for the aluminum oilfilter adapter mine hasn´t at all...
    Here´s a pic of what I have...
    [​IMG]

10. racer32

racer32

Baumi, I'll post a pic tomorrow of my early Chevy II block. I can't remember if it's still got a filter mounted on it or not.

11. Are you sure the threads in the block are 3/4-16. The two small holes in the block are the bypass and the other is the oil feed to the filter. Also what are the stamping #s on the block pad in front of the right cylinder head???

12. Redneck Smooth

Redneck Smooth
    from Cincinnati

I don't know shit about chevy small-blocks, but aren't those 327s and worth a couple grand?

13. to me that looks like it doesnt have one, just put in a threaded pipe. it looks like a fill hole to the filter, a return hole from the filter, a pressure port and a flat mating surface for the filter o ring. because the regular blocks drop down in the middle, the spin on filter piece will sit in the hole so the filter will seal against the block (notice the main hole isn't threaded).

Attached Files:

14. Baumi

Baumi
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

#´s are: 805552917 and 283V06360

The big hole in my block is 3/4 and threaded

15. so is that 1/2 pipe thread?

16. 29moonshine

29moonshine

it takes a canister with a oil filter in side that has a bolt that screws in to the block if the casting # on the back of the block is3790721 it is a 283 64-65 if it is 3791362 it is a 327 65-67 if it is 3862194 it is a 66-67 283 all are chevy ll blocks. booboo gave you the adapter information

17. Baumi

Baumi
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yeah, but the adapter # 3952301 looks like this...
    [​IMG]

...and would caue the filter to sit higher than the sealing surface.

I can see no way to bolt it to my block without threaded mounting holes...
    so I figure the adapter or oilfilter should go into the threaded big hole in the middle of the oilfilter boss...
    Nontheless, thank you guys so much for dealing with this.
    Chris

18. Baumi

Baumi
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

No, the large center hole is a 3/4" thread

19. Baumi

Baumi
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yes, that´s what I thought. But the common sbc filter are 13/16" female threads, so I´d need a filter with a 3/4 " male thread or an adapter pipe from 3/4" to 13/16" or a pipe with 3/4 thread and use a 3/4" threaded filter.

I just don´t know which filter have 3/4" male/female threads, so I figured that someone could know the OEM application...

The canister type filter I know ( like early 283 and such) have a very slim bolt compared to 3/4"..

Thanks ! Chris

20. 63_nova_ss

63_nova_ss

i cant think off the top of my head where mine mounts either. will check when i get home to look at it, but looks like you have got several viable answers.

21. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

I think the adapter referred to is pretty much a short piece of pipe with threads for block on one end, threads for regular late Chevy filter at other, and a shallow nut so it can be seated...I'm thinking it is going to be at least similar to the one emoployed on 250 type Chevy six??

22. I looked at the 250 -6 filter pipe and it dosen't have 3/4 threads and the filter threads are 13/16-16. I then looked in the trans dapt cat. and they have a filter pipe that has a 3/4-16 thread part#1034. The only problem is the threads are the same on each end,as the filter pipe you need is 3/4-16 stepped to 13/16-16. I'm sure someone makes one I just haven't found it yet>>>>.

23. The gizzmo you needs looks like this but this one is the wrong thread>>>>. This one is 3/4-16 with oil filter threads same as ford.

Attached Files:

24. Baumi

Baumi
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I thought I let you know what I came up with on this subject.
    I called summit racing tech support a couple of times finding out they didn´t have the adapter thread size I needed. Finally I had one made by a local machine shop and the 61 is on the road and drives great!
    Thanks for your help!!!
    Chris

PS: Here´s the finished 61. Ready for technical inspection and registration, after that it´ll be lowered "slightly", hahahahaha
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

25. Glad it all worked out. What's the story on the 56???>>>>.