Register now to get rid of these ads!

Transmission Bellhousing Dimensions

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by dadz34, Jan 20, 2012.

1. dadz34

dadz34
    from Argyle, TX

Request to all of you guys who are more organized than I am. I am building an engine run stand and figured a simple way to create the rear mount for multiple engines would be to have a solid plate with holes drilled to match different engines. This way I dont have to have multiple bellhousings laying around taking up space. If I had a clear diagram which detailed the dimensions of various tranny/bellhousings...I could then drill the holes for all of the transmissions and no matter which engine I lower into the stand, it would accept them all. Make sense? For my home shop, I can imagine only needing SBC, BBC, LSX, SBF, BBF, and possibly a flatty. I have attached a diagram which is what I am looking for. Unfortunately, it is very low resolution and thus I cant use it. Anyone know where I can locate a better diagram?

Thanks in advance!
    Troy
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

2. dadz34

dadz34
    from Argyle, TX

Bumpity...bump...need help if you can. Hopefully somebody knows where I can find these measurements. Thanks again!

3. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Do you have a salvage yard in your area? If you can get access to that, you should be able to make patterns on poster board of all the popular trannies you want.

Ray

4. squirrel

squirrel

how you gonna get the starter mounting holes to work for the different ford engines?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

(btw took me 20 seconds to find these with google)

5. von Dyck

von Dyck

On a running test stand we did for our school shop, I built a hoop over the bell housing area. This hoop was straight across on top so as to incorporate 2 horizontal sliders that could be locked into place at any position. From these sliders were suspended two adjustable vertical straps that were attached to two of the upper bell housing bolts. Full adjustability for almost any automotive engine......ran many dyno tests over two decades on this test stand. As well, the front attachments to the motor mounts were fully adjustable, but came up from the bottom.

6. dadz34

dadz34
    from Argyle, TX

Thanks guys for the help. Squirrel is better at Google than I am. I searched for a lot longer than 20 seconds and never found anything that clear. As for the starters on the fords, I haven't figured that one out yet. I like the sound of the hoop Von Dyck. Any pics from school shop left around to illustrate it?

7. squirrel

squirrel