Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Hot Rod Communication

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Jul 9, 2012.

1. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

2. Heres the one in my roadster:

[​IMG]

And the one in my 41

[​IMG]

3. Nothing fancy here. Growing up in the 60's, Grant and Superior wheels were the norm around these parts.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

My $5 dollar swap meet special......no idea of brand.

[​IMG]

5. truckjim

truckjim

Man, that is just about perfect. Same styles for So Cal in the 60's. The 4 gauge panel with indicator lights, gas pedal (mine was a fake that strapped over the original, thanks JC Whitney!), the piston shift knob and the Sun Super Tach, man you're in tall cotton.

6. 3rd Gen Hot Rodder

3rd Gen Hot Rodder
    from Indiana

[​IMG]
    Vintage Stewart Warners set in a Auburn dash and a stock wheel. Hard to beat that combination....but I am biased!

7. Fopelaez

Fopelaez

My truck interior, I know, a little too street rod but I kind of feel the connection between my truck and me as Ryan says. Those wood Nardi steering wheels, in my opinion, are some kind of art by themselves.

[​IMG]

Fernando

8. titus

titus

If i ever get the thing done.

Attached Files:

• 2.jpg
      2.jpg
      File size:
      25 KB
      Views:
  9. Nothing fancy just clean set up.

Frenchy

Attached Files:

10. squirrel

squirrel

This should be good. It's taken me decades to figure out that this stuff is important, and I'm still working on mine.

11. 08racer

08racer
    from Gilbert AZ

Purely for function and comfort.

Attached Files:

12. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

I had a Covico (Grant) 3-spoke wheel in my '36 5-window, in 1959. Grand Auto, $9.95...holes in the too-wide spokes, non-equidistant placement; but they afforded good visuals of the gauges.
    Bud Sneaky and I took a 300+ mile trip down to Bell, visited Roy Richter at Bell Auto Parts...Sneaky got a shopping cart full of goodies, and we each bought a Bell Sprint car 3-spoke wheel.
    Roy loaned me some wrenches to install the gem.

A few years later, I sold the '36...while cleaning it out, I found the old black & chrome Covico in the rumble seat. I hastily changed it, and hung my beloved Bell in the shop.
    The buyer never even noticed...

My brother bought Sneaky's roadster pickup in 1977. Sneaky had it since 1956. The Bell that was in there is still in it, rechromed when brother Bob ran it at Fremont Old time drags in the '80s...

13. Muttley

Muttley

My Comet.............Cragar steering wheel, Sun Super Tach and Vac-O-Meter, SW under-dash gauges, G-Meter, Hurst Comp-Plus, Ansen Drag Brake, Cal-Custom pedal cover, radio/lighter/wiper/heater control deletes. Yes, I know I still need to install the carpet kit. :rolleyes: ;)

[​IMG]

14. hotrd32

hotrd32
    from WA

Love the dash that used to be in my '29.....Terry sold it before I bought it. Re-creating it now to the best of our ability....

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2014
  15. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

fantastic!

16. SLAMIT

SLAMIT

WOW This is funny because my first reaction to this is STREET RODDER and hiineslty not my taste for a hot rod truck. on the other hand what I wouldnt give to have that wheel in my 70' bmw 2002. kinda funny how things go. and it is this disconnection that I have with my current steering wheel in there which is a Formuling france wheel from the 80's.

Ryan those are great choices of wheels for sure. and the wheel id like to have in my 49 is a tired and true ivory colored butterfly wheel.

17. Evel

Evel
    1. 60s Show Rods

58 Edsel Instert with vintage Sun Gauges along with my 60's gold flake boat wheel.. The center of the wheel comes to a point much like the diamond pleat... The 4 gauges match the 4 Carbs as well as the 4 bullets on the 50 Buick taillights.. following through from front to back... totally obsessed... :D

[​IMG]

18. nowaxn5

nowaxn5

While I love all those things mentioned Piero, it's going the distance on things like the pedal cover that really make my jaw drop... love it

19. nowaxn5

nowaxn5

WOW! perfection

20. Here's mine, yes it's a Superior. I like the 3 spokes, but I love this 4 spoke. It reminds me of the old arcade game "Pole Position", which I rocked in the 80's:D. Very soon I will install it in my Plymouth gasser - check it out here: http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=656966
    I'm working on the dash right now, as you can see.............

Attached Files:

21. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Not the greatest photo of the dash of the Plym per se, but communication is also about what's being seen beyond the dash too...

Attached Files:

22. Kevin Lee

Kevin Lee
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

I made a few of these.

[​IMG]

23. I forgot you did those, one of the coolest wheels out there!

24. 50Fraud

50Fraud

Among mass-produced wheels, Nardis are my favorites:

[​IMG]

But I agree with Ryan's other choices too, and have had one or two of those:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Among custom made wheels, Sam Davis makes some that are spectacular. Really, LOOK AT THESE:

http://speedandchrome.com/16.html

25. D-man313

D-man313

Mine in my 49, grant green metalflake

[​IMG]

26. Slick Willy

Slick Willy

For the chubby kid hotrodder: The offset "T" wheel...:D[​IMG]

Gauges are still a work in progress until I get the money to replicate hotrd32's dash!!
    [​IMG]

27. GomezGarage

GomezGarage

Nothing like a Superior 500 and vintage stewart warner gauges. Just screams hot rod to me.

Attached Files:

28. 2002p51

2002p51

This is the only photo I have that shows the wheel and the dash.

[​IMG]

The gauges are Stewart-Warner Wings.

29. Model T1

Model T1

Nice ! I'd rather look at an early custom dash and steering wheel than a pretty gal in a topless bar....!

Now we pay more for a steering wheel than we used to pay for a car. :rolleyes:

30. denis4x4

denis4x4
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Colorado

This is a Speedway wheel with a quick connect and crash pad. Speedo is '32 Ford with S-W Wings gauges that almost match! You can just barely see the genuine Fulton gas pedal in the lower right.

Attached Files: