Register now to get rid of these ads!

Brooklyn, NY Infamous Street Racers Back in the Day

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by NITROFC, Jul 19, 2008.

1. Its Not the Same as Fast n furious <br> We ran on Highways and Places where People Could Not be Hurt Big Difference!

2. hechto

hechto

That stuff from the magazine was on a city street in Bedford Stuyvesant. Stricly the neighborhood cars.
    The really incredible scene was 150 St service road near JFK airport. There would be cars that were running NHRA Pro Stock just a couple of month previous. Bigger than PS engines with lots of nitrous. Running for BIG buck$.
    Defeos story is true. The guy he got it from was with the Mudd Brothers.
    To a hustler losing money is just a bump in the road.
    Guys who steet race know obscure tracks in the South where they can run no time and no one will even know they were there.
    Some VERY smart guys on the steet in Brooklyn.

3. mtlcutter

mtlcutter

Sweet pictures!!! There were alot more corvettes in those pics than I thought there would be. Thanks for sharing those.

4. Reggie

Reggie
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Friggin Awesome!!!

5. El Jefe

El Jefe
    Alliance Member

That was some serious sh-t!! You know there was lots a innovative stuff going on in those pictured garages back then. Another reason this Texan likes New York and Jersey..........its not just the Italian food. Great shots.

Deuces likes this.
  6. I lived in Brooklyn in the 60's. Those guys spent BIG money, and bought real race cars from some of the biggest names at the time. On the hot summer nights, as a kid, when I slept with the window open, I could hear em racing under the "El" (elevated railway) in the wee hours of the morning. Fucking music

7. novadude

novadude

Who funded this shit? I'm guessing the cash to build these cars and hustle people was probably coming from other less-than-legal activities.

8. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Well, some of the bad guys like fast cars too. After all, Clyde Barrow took time out from robbing banks to write a letter to Henry Ford complimenting him on his new V8.

Deuces likes this.
  9. The summer of 93 I went to visit my cousins on Long Island, NY. Wayne said he wanted to go to the run whatcha brung thing at Island dragway in the Hamptons (RIP). I was videotaping all sorts of stuff, when this black 68 camaro with a back half and wheelie bars comes in on a Uhaul trailer. Wayne says they are the guys from Brooklyn, coming to test. About 10 guys get out of the van towing the car. This was one serious piece, with a fabbed intake, dual dominators at least 2 stages of nitrous and 16x33's on the rear. The paint looks deep enough to swim in. Car has power windows. My cousin says Scotty Shafiroff built the motor and is tuning the thing. So, I keep on videotaping them tuning and making half passes on the bars. A mountain of a man taps me on the shoulder and asks which bookie I work for. I thought he was joking and chuckle a little. Wayne is behind him with an "OH CRAP" look on his face, shaking his head. I tell him I don't work for a bookie. Mountain man then asks for the videotape in the camera. He even said please. I still think he's joking, and then put it together. He's serious. He wants the tape. I hand it to him. He says thank you, and walks back to the car. He didn't realize, I'd just changed the tape in the camcorder. Wayne tells me in the city they race for big money, and don't want everybody knowing their business. Now that is hardcore. So, I guess it was still going on during the early nineties.

10. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

So, I'm guessing you have recorded over that tape?

11. It's still going on NOW! I have a couple of my friends from back when I street raced that are still street racing, and it's serious shit now. If a guy talks $1000 to them, they walk right away. These guys are $3000 minimum, and not too excited racing for that. It's more $5K and up. Sure takes the fun out of it for ME

12. hemi coupe

hemi coupe
    from so-cal

That is some cool stuff right there. I wish I had a name like "BROOKLYN HEAVY"!! I think street racers like these guys are more prevalent then we think. I think they have gone a little more underground.
    Jimmy White

13. ls7gto

ls7gto

heres a little link to tie it into today...http://www.smallblockposse.com/ I hhave heard of stakes as high as 40k, but now ran at a track, with no times posted !

14. The '65 Mustang in the photo was originally Len Richter's "Bob Ford" factory AFX car. It was one of the Holman Moody built cammer powered cars. It was later ran in very early pro stock by Dyno Don. It was restored in it's Dyno Don scheme after it was found and currently owned by Don Snyder in OH. There is a very interesting story published about how the car was found in the 80's in a garage in NYC. Lots of drama & $$$ involved....

15. unklgriz

unklgriz

This is a great post. Reminds me of the places around Seattle that we used to race at. One of our favorites was "south Park Raceway", it happened to be the beginning of a freeway with a 1/4 mile marked off.

The cool thing back then, we did it to enjoy our cars. No racial barriers, just a bunch of car guys havin a good time and enjoying everyones cars. The way it should be.

Larry

Deuces likes this.
  16. awesome thread, how did they stuff them fros into the helmets?

17. King Tut

King Tut
    from Chicago

This brings back great memories back in the day at US 30 Dragstrip in Indiana. Used to go there every Wednesday night and Sunday. Used to throw down a few bucks on my favorites. Always was good clean fun..

...Bruno...

18. Ahh yes, remember sneaking over as a young kid ,also remember seeing "Coney Island Ralph" from Brooklyn, and "Fast Earl Mitchell", Jersey side

I think I even have a old "Connecting Highways" kill sticker home

19. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

'fros are compressable, just like open-cell foam.

20. ..................and people wonder where urban legends have their roots. A few of the boys were winding them out on the street near Rumblers show last year.

21. NITROFC

NITROFC
    BANNED

Oh yes Fast Earl Mitchell ..those were the days in NNJ !! Use to hang out at Great Eastern Mills parking lot ( Little Falls ) lookn for for a good race.. also at Grady's in Paterson with Earl and da Boys racing on RT20 !!

Kinda crazy for a white teenager in the early 70's ..but loving every minunite of it !..:cool:

22. belair

belair

I love those helments, and "being safe". Those are awesome pictures. Thanks for the post.

23. oldsman71

oldsman71

super cool those were some asome videos and pictures!!!! thanks to all!!!

24. Great thread. Those pics are amazing. If I could have only been there...

25. I use to bring my Race Car by the Connecting Highway to do Burn-outs in some of the Parking Lots to Test the Slicks out
    I could not Race there because the Car was to Fast and Not enough Shut-down area
    and it was fully Lettered & all the Cops new my Shop
    but I had other cars that ran there!
    [​IMG]

26. wally bell

wally bell
    from VA.

:)

at the strip......:)

27. Dino the weirdo

Dino the weirdo

Too Fast ? fill us in here...against tunnel ram Hemi's...what you packing son? maybe I'm not aware of actual" track" lenth (Full 1320)??? shut down lenth???

28. rumblytruck

rumblytruck

Check out GrudgeRacer.com for the latest from those obscure little tracks down south,
    and a forty grand run wouldn't get you top billing on the weeknight shows down here !!!!

29. Maxwedge66

Maxwedge66

Amazing story pics, the real deal.