Register now to get rid of these ads!

crosley hot rod pix please...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by atch, Jan 29, 2005.

1. atch

atch

for my first "new hamb" post i'm asking for pix. as i've about finished collecting parts to build the T modified it's time to start collecting parts for the next rod. y'all DO build more than one at a time inside your head don't you?

i've got a '48 crosley wagon that has pretty good sheet metal and access to a 413/727 out of a running 6x,xxx mile car. this is what i've been asking engine/tranny questions about lately. i'm thinking that a 413/727 in a crosley wagon might be as much fun as a 401/T-10 in a T roadster.

so i'm after pix of crosleys with wheels outboard of the sheet metal as well as inboard. also front wheels at the normal position and out in front of the body. how 'bout crosleys with lengthened front sheet metal?

anyone have any pix of jim lytle's 389 powered crosley?

anyone have pix of that crosley that had model A fenders on it? actually i don't want one like it but would like to see it again.

i've seen some "pro-street" crosleys and didn't think much of them.

i'm pretty sure i want the rear wheels outboard of the body sides, but where is the best place for the front wheels? in order to shoehorn in a big block mopar i don't think there will be room for suspension at the normal wheelbase. so i'm thinkin' about the longer sheet metal or runnin' the frame out front with a buggy sprung axle. or maybe gasser style where the engine & axle don't interfere 'cause of the altitude.

any/all pix and opinions are solicited and welcomed.

as always, TIA...

2. Henry Floored

Henry Floored

I don't know about that big Mopar, but I've seen a Crosley with a V8 60 that was very cool, and the engine looked like it belonged there. If you build it with the 413 that thing will be a monster. Go for it!

3. AHotRod

AHotRod

Here ya go, I just sold this the "StevieG" here on the HAMB :p

4. AHotRod

AHotRod

It's a flip-up....way before Funny Cars :cool:

5. AHotRod

AHotRod

Another one for ya

6. AHotRod

AHotRod

I really like the looks of this black one :cool:

7. jangleguy

jangleguy

Thanks for making my day, Glenn! I jumped on this thread, knowing you'd post a shot of one of my all time favorites, and you didn't let me down...Actually< my day was made earlier with a shocking Gasser discovery - that's all I can say right now - more later...Oh yeah - I might have a shot of the Orange Crosley from the HAMB drags - I'll check. And don't forget the Batto Trucking car! (I have a snapshot, but can't post it)

8. jangleguy

jangleguy

Doh! When I said you'd posted one of my alltime favorites, I didn't know you were posting more pix - I was refering to your old car that Stevie has now (the green wagon)...

9. atch

atch

AHR,

glad you spoke up. i've actually got those first two pix saved on my computer, as well as the gray primer pic from when it was for sale. do you have more pix of the car from back when it looked like this? i'd sure like to see more of it.

i'd appreciate any/all info on the frame and suspension set-up on this car. also, i've forgotten what drivetrain this car ran when it was raced.

everyone else - thanx and please keep 'em coming. info on the frames/suspensions requested, too.

THANX!

10. Muttley

Muttley

I have no idea how to use a scanner so....these are pics of the Jan. '76 Street Rodder. Back in the early 80's when my Dad was building his rpu we shared a shop with a few guys including Dave Lukkari the owner of this Crosley:
    [​IMG]

This thing was wild! It had '32 fenders, an Ardun equipped Flat Head with 8 Webber carbs and a flip up Funny Car style body!!!:eek: :cool:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. HELLBILLY

HELLBILLY

Good post and ideas,I have one tucked away just waiting..............:D

Cool bandsaw bumper,drive it around the shop to what you want to cut.:eek:

Attached Files:

12. I took this shot years ago at NSRA Oklahoma city. I think he was running a Mazda rotary motor. Kinda neat... anyone. Ouch...everybody is throwing rocks at me....!

Attached Files:

13. av8

av8

A serious Crosley . . .

14. Foul

Foul

There's a writeup of the Batto Trucking Crosley in one of the latest drag racing magazines - cant remember which one now - talking about how the original owner's family got it ready for modern vintage drags.
    d

15. Hey Atch,
    When I get back to GA I'll snap some pix of the rear suspension. It's a quarter elliptic set up with coils. Definitely different. The front is your standard buggy sprung with split bones on a straight truck axle.
    The engine was a Blown Hemi with a Torqueflight.
    I'm going to be running a Nailhead and an ST-400 Tranny.

16. jdubbya

jdubbya

That car was in St. Ignace Michigan for the car show in the mid 90's, where it caught on fire. I saw it before the fire, and it is a cool little car.

17. The yellow Crosley wagon with the Mazda was at the first "Back to the Fifties" that I attended. Must have been 10 or more years ago. It was the only car I remember from that event.

There was a Crosley sedan AA/A that ran at Minnesota Dragways in the early 60's. It was called "Peanuts", was orange, powered by a blown Olds, and owned by Eckdahl and McElroy. It was quite similar to the Batto car but sat a tad lower. Maybe one of our Minnesota oldtimers has a photo of it.

18. AHotRod

AHotRod

So ya want to see more Crosley styles ? :p

19. AHotRod

AHotRod

20. AHotRod

AHotRod

These should get you rally wound up ;)

21. Got any more?
    Now my mind is spinning.

THANKS!

No....really:)

22. 40Tudor

40Tudor

2.5 years later....here's the front view:eek: :rolleyes::cool:

Attached Files:

23. PDX Lefty

PDX Lefty

24. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

I remember Lukkaari's Ardun opwered Crosley. He built it before he went to the west coast and it was at a lot of events here in the midwest before he moved. Maybe someone here knows but I heard the Ardun that is in the T roadster he drives everywhere is the one out on the Crosley. BTW, I think the Crosley had '29-'29 A fenders on it and not '32's.

Frank

25. side_valve

side_valve
    Alliance Vendor

26. I know where there's a rock solid, stock runner for 2k if anyone is interested. HAMB'er, but I can't remember what his name is.

27. jetcitysicko

jetcitysicko

It's Paul Reichland (sp?) in Marysville w/the single seater peach model A...

28. Muttley

Muttley

Yeah, you are correct about the fenders. I just checked the article and it says they are '29.

29. atch

atch

thanx everyone!

perhaps someone in the monday morning crowd has some more???

30. atch

atch

ahotrod,

were you the driver in this car when it was raced? did it get squirrelly with the short wheelbase?

do you have any front shots of the Why Not car?

40tudor,

do you have any front shots of the black car?