Register now to get rid of these ads!

NJ/NY Custom Car + Rod lovers

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by bdotyoung, Mar 13, 2012.

1. bdotyoung

bdotyoung
    from New Jersey

Would anyone on the HAMB be interested in / visit / possibly contribute to a good website focused on custom car culture in the NJ/NY area? We'd have info about shows / meet ups / events and hopefully expand to include info about shops / people / clubs in the area.

I've noticed that East Coast custom car / hot rod culture doesn't get much attention and we should... Because we have some pretty cool things going on.

I'd like to get this launched ASAP... Show season is almost here!!

Any thoughts and feedback are much appreciated!

2. CHOPMERC

CHOPMERC

You or somebody would have to manufacture a bunch of stuff to do, because as far as rod/custom stuff to do in this state, there ain't much at all.

3. Zombie Hot Rod

Zombie Hot Rod
    from New York

Might want to focus on The North East in general.

4. BronxMopars1

BronxMopars1
    from Bronx, NYC

Intresting Idea

5. rld14

rld14

Sure.

It never ceases to amaze me how little stuff goes on in the biggest metropolitan area in the country.

6. bdotyoung

bdotyoung
    from New Jersey

Thanks or the replies. I thought about the fact that there's not much going on in the NJ/NY area and focusing on the Northeast region is a valid and plausible option. @chopmerc- I'm definitely hoping to get some new things going on in our area and recall a thread about an AutoRama type event in the area. Hoping to generate some interest or reinvigorate the culture in our area. I know I've been looking for a resource like this for a while.

Anyone have ideas about how to make some events happen around here?

7. classicdreamer

classicdreamer
    from nyc
    1. A-D Truckers

8. CHOPMERC

CHOPMERC

Yep..I started that thread a few months back and, am, in fact still working on getting something together..

9. bdotyoung

bdotyoung
    from New Jersey

Chopmerc - good stuff... let me know how I can help. I'll start working through some of the site stuff from my side.
    (I still love your profile pic)

10. if you build it they will come......................................................maybe

11. CHOPMERC

CHOPMERC

Lol, unlikely...
    There are more rods & customs in this area, many of historical significance, than you can imagine. Unfortunately, most rarely see the light of day. Some cars I know about haven't been out in years.

12. bdotyoung

bdotyoung
    from New Jersey

That's the sad part... The cars not seeing the light of day.

I'm wanting to focus on the people that want to enjoy their cars and get together with like minded people. I want organized info, cruise nights and shows and to build a community around our hobby and passion. I know I could be dreaming... But it never hurts to try, right?

13. 55CadillacTed

55CadillacTed

hey bdotyoung,
    i've been thinking of doing the same but haven't made any moves yet.
    I have a ton of experience in event production (no car shows though), but have experience getting sponsors, event permits, booking bands, food vendors etc.
    And cars are my passion so I'd love to work on this.
    We need a true blowout in the northeast.
    I suggest we organize an annual event. Then after a few successful events maybe we could go to two or three per year.
    I'm trying to launch my own business so I have very little time but I'd love to be part of a team to get this going. If we start now we could get the first one off the ground by next spring. I could get sponsors who will pay for advertisements in the major magazines, maybe radio ads too.
    Anycrap. It'll take a team devoting lots of hours.
    hey CHOPMERC, have you started on an event? any progress?

Ted
    www.BrooklynLeather.com

14. BronxMopars1

BronxMopars1
    from Bronx, NYC

Im not sure how but if I can help Im in.......... My only suggestion is fall our springs are just so unpredictable.

15. bdotyoung

bdotyoung
    from New Jersey

Thanks for the replies and interest. I think we've all got a lot of good things to bring to the table and I definitely think we can all make something really cool happen in our area.

I need to figure out the next/first step in making all this come together.

ChopMerc - how far along in the process of getting something off the ground are you?

16. Pat Pryor

Pat Pryor

sounds cool to me

17. jerseymike

jerseymike

might also want to check with kkoacolonel, he was talking awhile ago about starting a memorial day weekend custom event. i believe he wanted to start next year. not sure if he's still working on that or not. good luck.

18. Ltorch

Ltorch

Make sure to have a swap meet and flame throwers and ill be there..nothing sucks more then. a car show with no swap meet all you do is sit behide your own car that you can see at home then about half through the show go home ..at least if theres a swap meet with car stuff and flame throwing,muffler rap ,slow drags etc, there will be something to look forward to .other then that it will be like so many other shows you walk around for about 2 hours and go home.

19. teddyp

teddyp

sounds good i,m in

20. 55CadillacTed

55CadillacTed

i can book bands, a swap meet, i know a ton of girls so we will definitely have a pinup contest, maybe burnout contest?.
    i agree. it needs to be a real event.
    i LOVED the Rumblers show in brooklyn. THAT was a fun event.
    I hear they won't get a permit for next year.

21. Zombie Hot Rod

Zombie Hot Rod
    from New York

Ted, the show will go on.

22. I saw the guy selling metal get arrested for not shutting down right before the cops did a sweep and literally pushed everyone else out. Now that's NY hospitality.