Register now to get rid of these ads!

Anyone ever convert an oil bath air cleaner into a filament air cleaner?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Carbs & Chrome, May 20, 2010.

1. Thinking about doing it - wondered if anyone has.

2. HEATHEN

HEATHEN
    from SIDNEY, NY

What's it from? I've converted '55-'57 Chevy 283 air cleaners to paper filter; they're quite easy.

3. ems customer service

ems customer service

i did made a post about it on the hamb

4. The Shocker

The Shocker

I did with a 50's Caddy/Olds air cleaner .Took about ten minutes .I used a base from a 70's Chevy truck .Used just the top of the Caddy/Olds cleaner for the look.It was totally hidden that i converted it .I was using a 4 barrel Qaudrajet carb so the base went right on with no issues ...

5. Yep...........did 2 early 50's Cadillac and Olds oil bath type.

Used a chrome aftermarket 'Mickey Mouse base to fit a Holly 4bbl and a big old 4"x13" paper filter.
    Worked like GM designed it to be.

6. Sir Woosh

Sir Woosh

Easy to do. Just depends on what you are looking for. Many repops look like this doing the same thing. Just wanted to use more of what came on the car.

[​IMG]

7. In did a killer, big, 'early '50's Ford aircleaner. Had to cut some crap oout of the inside & rework some inside to get a filter to sit level. I'll post pics Sunday when I get home.

The Cadillac or later Chevy pieces are easier. Mainly just change the base like mentioned above.

JH

8. gearhead1952

gearhead1952

I've done it twice on f1 truck oil bath cleaners. On one I used a k&n filter and the other a napa gold paper filter. Cut off the top part of the oil bath and made a plate to cover the filter which gave me something to tighten the lid down onto.

9. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Did a big ford Y-block air cleaner years ago with a aftermarket 14"drop base and a 4" K&N filter. Also, hole sawed two three inch holes in the face and inserted exhaust tubing into the holes, (approximately 4and 8 o'clock as viewed from the top) and using Flexible ducting made a cool air intake system. Painted the whole thing black wrinkle and it looked absolutely brutal, worked very well too!

10. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yup, every one I have come across, except on "correct" restored cars.

11. mike1951

mike1951
    from Colorado

Here's my question for all of ya. How restrictive are the old oil bath air cleaners?
    I mean I have one on my 53 Buick with the 263. It's HUGE. If I ditched it for a smaller paper filter would I be helpin or hurting my inline?

12. turdmagnet

turdmagnet

I would assume switching to a paper filter would increase the restriction - minimal though. The oil baths basically have zero restriction - its just the direction of the flow that causes the separation of the particles into the oil.

Just my 2 cents

13. mike1951

mike1951
    from Colorado

So if this is the case, why are people converting oil bath filters to paper?

14. Oil bath are cleaner ... wonder why they call it that ... well guess what, I found out a little later when I removed one from my original engine ...(damn, what the ... Ohhhh, OIL bath) and that's exactly what I got .... an oil bath.

15. turdmagnet

turdmagnet

Efficiency - how well does it clean the air. Paper filters would trap alot more dirt and much smaller dirt particles than the oil bath ever would. When I clean out my oil bath I generally only get large particles (flies). There is a bit of "scum" there but I'm sure a lot of fine dirt is going straight thru.

16. mike1951

mike1951
    from Colorado

Ah, ok. I was debating replacing my stock cleaner for something possibly better. I was told by an old mechanic that oil bath was the way to go..

17. Oil bath air "cleaners" do not remove all of the small stuff that a paper filter will catch. It only takes out the bigger particles that don't go around sharp corners very well.
    The smaller particles that still stay airborne after a sharp turn will still be in the intake air.
    "zig-zag" cleaning only removes the easy stuff.

Paper filters work best, but do restrict a bit more, so use as big an element as you possibly can.

Before you decide to do a "compromise" and use a K&N style gauze filter because they advertise low restriction, just remember they also let in the small particles. No matter how much dirt they can show that sticks to the oiled-gauze, there are still large holes that the fine dirt goes right through.
    Tests have shown they (K&N style gauze) let in SEVEN TIMES more dirt than a paper filter.
    I am pretty sure a K&N gauze filter must be better than an oil bath zig-zag "cleaner", but neither one is nearly as good as a paper filter.

The biggest paper filter you can get is the best way to go if you are concerned about engine life and keeping out the fine grit that quickly chews up the cyl walls and rings.

If you are willing to sacrifice engine life for a slight "edge" at the track, you can use just about anything.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2010
  18. R Frederick

R Frederick
    from illinois

I did it to my 53. I just welded a sheetmetal ring into the bottom to keep a paper element centered. Found a tall enough element for the lid to seal.

19. Merc cruzer

Merc cruzer
    from Colorado

Kept the origional look....works great...this is on my 53" Merc...K&N Filter

Attached Files:

Aussiepete., FlatJan and bct like this.
  20. "Tests have shown they (K&N style gauze) let in SEVEN TIMES more dirt than a paper filter."

...but tests have also shown that K&N filters are just as good as or better than paper with the correct oil on the filter and whatnot....the debate is endless....

dono50 likes this.
  21. Wrong.

Wishfull thinking is so powerful sometimes.

No matter how much goo you put on a chain link fence, the little particles that do not touch the goo will pass right on by.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2010
  22. MissFortune

MissFortune
    from Lemont, IL

Trying to decide what I'm going to do with my oil bath...My brother says I should just go paper, but I don't think he realized there may some chopping & welding involved...I think I need to do a little more research on this. Thanks for the tips & info everyone.

23. denis4x4

denis4x4
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Colorado

I did a '48 Chrysler Town & Country and a '46 Pontiac straight 8 conversions from oil bath to paper using NAPA filters.

24. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

[​IMG]

This was so easy that it's embarrassing. A 10 dollar flea market 14" chrome open street rod air filter bottom and element. I did have to open the bottom hole some for it to fit inside. If it's a smaller diameter look at the repro filters for something that can be adapted to the old housing. Just make sure that the air has to go through the filter element and not around it to enter the engine.

25. Fordnut40

Fordnut40

Do you have the manufacturer & number on that "big ole 4"x13" air filter

26. dreracecar

dreracecar
    from so-cal

Did one on my Dads 56 Dodge, Lots of work, biggest pain as being so old there was a lot of gunked up crap in areas that I couldnt get to. wound up splitting the can to clean it all out and rewelding it. Took the top hat to A/Z and went through the filters till one fit and had the right hight.

27. classiccarjack

classiccarjack

Well? It's been a few years... Is that post coming? LOL

Sent from my XT1585 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app