Register now to get rid of these ads!

anyone make a carb manifold for a dodge viper v10 engine?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Cynical 1, Jan 29, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cynical 1

Cynical 1

i'm new here, so if this is in the wrong forum, i'm sorry.

first off, i'm aquiring a 49 dodge wayfarer coupe in the next week or so (just have to trailer it home). it will be a long-term project for my class (i teach automotive technology in highschool) and a potential keeper for me.

my question is:

we have a late 90's dodge viper v10 engine at our disposal, and no one wants anything to do with it... so... thinking it may find its way into the 49 at some point IF i can find a carb manifold for it.

i've googled and nothing comes up, but wanted to see if anyone has seen or heard of a v10 carb manifold. either a deuce, 6 pack or even a 10 pack would be awesome.

just let me know if you've seen/heard/know anything...

thanks.

2. kustombuilder

kustombuilder
    from Novi, MI

yup. probably is. i can hear the angry, pitch fork wielding mob already.

...i'm personaly intrigued by this project though (the motor not the car). why not MAKE your own intake?? fabricate one from aluminum or steel sheet metal. get real fancy and cast one. as a teacher you may be able to get a casting class somewhere involved.

other than that why does it have to be carburated?? fuel injection is not as scary as you might think. do some research... i imagine the ignition system is computer controlled too. might want to research way around that or ways to work WITH that.

3. Cynical 1

Cynical 1

then can a moderator move this?

4. kustombuilder

kustombuilder
    from Novi, MI

they would be more likely to delete it. i would'nt worry too much about it. if they don't like it that is just what they will do. it's just a "traditional vs non-traditional" thing. they are a fickle bunch though. some non-traditional stuff is ok, some is'nt. depends on their mood i guess. don't sweat it. if there is a problem someone in charge will say so.

5. hotrod-Linkin

hotrod-Linkin

why not run the f/i??? get a wiring harness and a box,change the tank to a pressurized unit and go.....really go.

6. Cynical 1

Cynical 1

ok... thanks.

so, as long as it's here - anyone?

7. hotrod-Linkin

hotrod-Linkin

your post is fine. traditional car/untraditional engine...works for me dude

8. TV

TV

I agree with Hotrod linkin just use the fuel injection. I have the Viper 10 in my truck and I love it. Most of the rice rockets hate it, they think they can blow me off, Wrong!!! --TV

9. 73RR

73RR

Welcome to the club. Would you believe that I have been considering this same combo? I'll follow along with yours and see how it goes.
    As before, I'd consider using the efi, after all, it is there isn't it?? The big issues may be centered around the computer and what requirements it has relative to being swapped without all of the fancy interlock stuff. What did TV do in his rig?

You do realize that one of the many requirements of this board is that you must post photos as work progresses....:D

10. hotrod-Linkin

hotrod-Linkin

show us tv,,,please

11. slimcat7m3

slimcat7m3
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Not right on subject but I have a jag v12 I thought would look pretty cool with 6 down draft or sidedraft webbers. You should be able to make something happen with all those intake runners.

12. Scott Danforth

Scott Danforth

I would keep it FI'd and run an aftermarket ECU. But thats me. Any carb manifolds that I have heard of were hand fabricated.

13. rq375

rq375
    from Washington

this outfit should be able to fix you up, but they do cost more what an aftermarket ECM will run you. The 4-4s cross-ram is a pretty killer piece...

http://www.hogansracingmanifolds.com/

14. Nope, it'll never work. Send it to me and I'll get rid of it for ya :D

I would go with what most are saying here, stay with the F/I. Those things run so nicely you'll love it. Don't want people knowing it's not "traditional"??? Don't pop the hood.

15. BAD ROD

BAD ROD

16. Cirilian

Cirilian

That mullet ROCKS!!

If it were me I'd do like others have suggested and try to integrate the existing F/I.

17. BigBlockMopar

BigBlockMopar

If it were me I would do exactly NOT like what the others are saying, skip the carb and just go one step further and give that V10 some good old vintage like induction...

[​IMG]
    pic borrowed and modified from a NZ-site ;)

18. Cynical 1

Cynical 1

this is what i'm talkin' 'bout!!!

the wiring harness and all the electronics are missing - this was a donated by chrysler engine for "display"- but it was a new runner.

yeah, i like carbs, and i am kinda a traditionalist - but i just have this engine doing nothing...

19. Shifty Shifterton

Shifty Shifterton

Even though it might be scary to you, something like a megasquirt DIY EFI might have a ton of appeal to your tech generation students. good luck

20. gahi

gahi
    from Moab, UT

Got anymore at your disposal?

21. NoPaint

NoPaint

Building the intake will be really easy if you have the current intake. You just need to "top it" with a rise and plate that allows you to run two 4 barrel holleys. I would say find out if its a dry intake like some late model Chrysler V8's or if there is coolant going through it. If coolant then its a different story and much harder if not almost impossible.

22. Kramer

Kramer

Does it have a tag on it that says it has to be destroyed when the school is done with it. My brother inlaw hauls cars around the country for the company he works for. He showed up one day on his way up north with a Powler and Viper that were headed for a couple of community colleges. Chrysler had donated them. Both had tags on them that said they had to be destroyed when the schools were done with them. What a shame.:mad:

23. Hackerbilt

Hackerbilt

Homebuilt intake doesn't look like a big issue at all.
    Maybe a U-Fab style tube manifold...:)

[​IMG]

Now...what about an advancing distributor with 10 cylinder capability?

24. Pauly da mick

Pauly da mick

Yeah, destroyed One Peice at a Time out the back door... ;)

Run the ignition with a Megasquirt setup & have fun with the carb setup of your choice!

It's easy enough to convery old webber carbs into throttle bodies for EFI with an older look..

Wishing you all the best for the project!! :cool:

25. Darby

Darby

I'm assuming you have one of the older 488 cu in engines, not one of the newer ones. It's a dry intake, but "topping" it will be hard, as the plenums created by doing that are really long, and distribution will be an issue (it's a cross-ram-type setup). A 2x4 setup with strombergs might even it out across the length of the plenum, but I think you might still have fuel puddling issues in those long runners.

The best, and near-impossible-to-find, candidate for converting to carb'd operation would be the GTS-R manifold, which had a single large plenum and shorter runners. It was offered through the Mopar catalog, but I'd guess that few were sold through there--most went directly to Oreca or Chamberlain or the other racing teams that ran them.

The V-10 truck manifold won't swap onto the Viper heads.

It's an electronic ignition engine with coil packs (a six cylinder pack and a four cylinder pack), so you'd have to work around that too. Does the engine you have come with a wiring harness or computer?

I know a little (and have forgotten more...) about these engines, and think I still have a service manual kicking around somewhere. And like everybody else, if you want to trade it for a nice, simple, running SBC, let me know...

26. flamedabone

flamedabone
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The manifold wouldn't be too difficult to make, but the ignition might suck a little.These engines have coil packs that are fired by the ECU using input from the cam and crank sensors plus a few other inputs.

There are lots of companys that make crank trigger ignitions, but how adaptable to a V-10 they are, I have no idea. I'm sure MSD could make you anything you want, but it wouldn't be very budget friendly.

I would stick with the stock electronics, they work great and can be customized for your particular application if you have to. On the other hand, a V-10 is still just an internal combustion engine. Figure out a way to give it spark and fuel and it will run....

Good luck, -Abone.

27. Doc.

Doc.
    Member Emeritus

Sounds like a cool project. The Viper experts are over at Viperclub.org. They could probably be of some assistance too. I think I'd pick up a harness and run it as Dodge designed it. Don't forget that if you run this engine, to beef up the rest of the drive train. They are torque monsters.

Doc.

28. If fuel distribution is an issue, how about 3 quads?
    If yer gunna be different, why not go the whole way?

Where in Georgia are you located?

29. Cynical 1

Cynical 1

i'm in cumming, GA.

thanks for the input so far guys - keep it coming!

don't expect rapid progress on this - i'm just a poor high school teacher with a racecar to feed - so it may be a sloooooooow project...

and no, the engine isn't a crush when done engine. most of our donated vehicles are, but there are ways and salvage yards around that... ;)

30. TV

TV

Sorry guys, My engine is in my Dodge Viper SRT truck. I have done some changes to it. It's making right at 600HP now. I plan to put a blower on some time this year. Checking it with a GPS it does 0-60 in 4.1 and the 1/4 in 12.2 We had it up to 155 MPH at Bonneville going out one night. There was more but it was getting loose.--TV

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.