Register now to get rid of these ads!

The Permian Basin Petroleum Museum

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Mar 31, 2008.

1. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

2. fiat128

fiat128
    from El Paso TX

I've driven by the petroleum museum dozens of times and never stopped. I didn't realize there was all that interesting stuff there. I'll have to stop next trip.

3. Terry

Terry

HA! I'm in one of those pictures!

The car was simply fantastic, and it gave me goose bumps to see it up close. The workmanship was fantastic. And the car seemed to be moving while setting still. I heard a rumor floating around it will be raced again, I would love to see that!

It was good to see you and your Dad again too Ryan.

4. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

Thanks for the pics Ryan, glad you made it there. I've always loved those Chapparalls since kindergarten (seriously), and the Mabee car is top-notch as well. Really impressive machinery there!

5. What a beauty the Mabee Special is, the lines are breathtaking, from any angle. I do agree on the rollcage. Thanks for sharing !
    / primerkid

6. You guys are killing me, man I wish I could have been there. The Petroleum Museum is a really nice facility and Ronnie is one cool dude. Did you get to see the shop in the back and what they had in there?

7. autobilly

autobilly

Thanks for the mini tour Ryan. Looks like a well layed out, top notch facility. Of course the cars are superb also.

8. gas pumper

gas pumper

Ryan, on the car with the turbine sucker, did it ever get to run before a rule change was done? Ya know that it had to be outlawed fast. Hall rule. Every good racer had a few rules named after them.

Frank

9. This is so much more than an amazing story. From the initial build, the preparation, the hemi in the push vehicle, the driver change, the rope, the record at Bonneville, the years afterward, car lost, car found and rebuilt. This story would make a great book.

It was great to finally meet you Ryan.

10. swimeasy

swimeasy

I had intended to be there and had old friends come in to San Angelo so had to miss you people this time but I will get out there after the Roundup. Thanks for the picts.,Ryan.

11. Very cool. Like to see the history we all lust after preserved and catalogged!

12. plance1

plance1
    from cincy ohio

I believe I saw this car in Cincy Ohio last year at the Concourse car show.

13. Thanks for the pictures.

What's the rope for?

14. Correct me if I am wrong Ryan or Diceman, but I believe the story was if during the speed run if the car went out of control the driver was to pull himself down into the car for protection. 1953 safety equipment.

15. 81ttopcoupe

81ttopcoupe
    from Cedar Park

Looks like I was there a few weeks to early, would loved to have seen that car in person. Took the kids there during spring break, it was worth the trip. My grandfather worked as a roughneck in his yonger days, and I work in the industry now(just a drafter though).
    The Chaparell gallery is a definite must. It was neat trying to get into the car they have set up for photo ops. I finally got squeezed in but my legs are to large to get the steering wheel on. And of course it was my dad and I, not my kids, who set off the alarms under the cars because we got to close looking at them.