Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Sectioned 1940 Ford convertible Original 1950's Custom

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Rikster, Jan 2, 2008.

1. Rikster

Rikster

I'm having way to many sleepless nights lately... but for one thing they are very good... finding good stuff on the internet, while browing is searching for old custom car photos in the early morning hours.

Last night I came across this site where a guy has a tribute page for his Dad's 1940 Ford he built in the early 50's

A great story and they think the car is still around and are still searching for it. At one point they found it, but could not afford to buy it back and restore it back to its original condition...

Here you can read the rest of the story...

Sectioned 1940 Ford Convertible

Small fuzzy photos... but look at this beauty.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  2. PeteFromTexas

PeteFromTexas

That is really nice. It's good to see a great car built by a regular joe.

3. publicenemy1925

publicenemy1925
    from OKC, OK

That ride is as sweet as candy.

4. loggy

loggy

Looks like it was a real nice job too,good luck to them in relocating it.....tho i guess now lotsa folks'll be keeping an eye out!

5. 40FordCustomConv

40FordCustomConv

I wanted to resurrect this 4 year old thread by Rikster to provide you with some NEW information!! I am the person who developed the tribute page years ago. The 1940 Ford convertible custom was my dad's car that he built in the early 1950's. My dad sold this car in 1954 to build the house that I grew up in. My dad went home to the with the Lord when I was 19 months old...so I did not get to know him.

The biggest news is that THE CAR HAS BEEN FOUND!! A gentleman in the area purchased the car 6 years ago and began restoration to put the car back to the way he remembered the first time he saw it in 1958. I scanned my dad's journal that he kept while building the car and provided a copy to him. He's now working to restore it back to the way my dad originally built it. I do need some help if anyone can...

I've been working to write an accurate history of the car from 1951-54 when dad built it and sold it. The gentleman who now owns the car is working on the history from 1958 to present. My uncle told me dad ordered plans out of a magazine on how to cut the body, roof, frame, etc to build this car. I'm thinking it could've been plans developed after Valley Custom built their 1940 Ford convertible custom in 1948. Would anyone know of what magazine this was published (around 1948-50) or have a copy of these plans?

6. otas

otas

Good luck man. One of my all time favorite cars. I've restored 2 of them. The one in my avatar was my first. Your dads car was way cool.

7. cracker head

cracker head

Awesome! Please keep us updated.

8. Hoodlum Rocky

Hoodlum Rocky

that is a great car glad to see it will be brought back to its former glory for all of us to enjoy. Im sure your day would be a happy man.

9. Rikster

Rikster

That is really great news that the car has been found. And even better that the current owner is going to restore it how it was original intended.

I hope you will be able to share some recent photos on here soon.

10. FlynBrian

FlynBrian

Thats great! Glad the 40 vert was found and is being resurrected. Your Dad is smiling.

11. Great looking 40!
    2X What Rik said.

12. bonez

bonez
    from Slow lane

Never seen this one, and gotta admit is real kool. Too bad its not in your garage man.
    Hope the new owner will share pics with you/us.

13. Cyclone Kevin

Cyclone Kevin
    Alliance Vendor

You need to figure out a way to get your dads car back where it belongs! Perhaps you and the current owner can work a deal out. Especially since you are providing info that is vital to its accurate restoration.

14. pimpin paint

pimpin paint
    from so cal

Hey,

On the subject of what magazine published had plans on ''how to chop body ,roof, frame etc.'' I can't recall , but in the 1952 issue of "How to Build Hot rods " a Fawcett book, Neil Emory& Clayton Jensen did an artical on '' Z-ing '' & "Channeling'' of '37-'48 Fords. Perhaps they did other articals for this publication in this era? The magazine "Mechanics Illuatrated" did a artical in which they sold plans on how to build a hot rod from a cut down '32 ford frame, but no mention of a '40 Ford. Maybe they too, sold other plans on cutting a '40 Ford?

Good luck

" Life ain't no Disney movie "

15. Hope to see more as this restoration continues. Great story.

16. 40FordCustomConv

40FordCustomConv

Thanks for all of the replies! I'm very pleased that dad's car has been found and is being restored back as the custom he built in 1951-53. I need to update my tribute page with the new information as well as correct some minor typos in the tribute article. I want to respect the new owner's story so I will share information when he is ready. He is extremely appreciative of the information I have provided...he was shocked to learn about my dad's journal about the build of this custom. The new owner has been chasing this car since 1958. Considering I was not born until 1963, he's been chasing it longer than I have.

I do have some pictures and he has a complete photographic history of the car from 1958 as well as the recent restoration. We're working together to write a complete story of this car. Here's a few pictures. Dad's 1940 back in 1953:
    [​IMG]
    Here's what Dad's 1940 looked like when found in a barn 6 years ago:
    [​IMG]
    Here's a picture taken last fall of Dad's 1940:
    [​IMG]
    The plan is for the car to be completed by the end of May 2012 and be unveiled at an annual car show here in Kingsport. The car has created quite a bit of interest as there are many guys still building hot rods and customs who remember this car back in the day!!

The piece of the puzzle I'm current searching for is the magazine article and plans that showed dad how to cut and section the car so everything would fit.

Thanks you all on HAMB for the information and encouragement!

17. F&J

F&J

Wow... how cool is this thread.

Thanks for posting.

18. mazdaslam

mazdaslam

19. 1951Streamliner

1951Streamliner
    from Reno, NV

Awesome thread and story.

Hope the man restoring it is very faithful to how the car would have been, with interior, tires, etc.. all the little things that bring the car up to a whole new level.

Excited to see it unveiled!

20. 40FordCustomConv

40FordCustomConv

OK...just one more pic...this one was taken about a month ago...
    [​IMG]

21. 1951Streamliner

1951Streamliner
    from Reno, NV

22. deto

deto

23. customcory

customcory

Thats going to be so nice, Tennesse car too it looks like.

24. Smokey2

Smokey2

Three Passages, Quotes, Messages, Etc., Etc. !!!!!!!!!!!

25. Rikster

Rikster

WOW... thanks for those new photos.

This is really fantastic. The photo of when it was found is really incredible... I guess thats the dream of every Custom Car enthusiast on here to walk into a barn and find an amazing old Custom car like your fathers sectioned Ford.

And the restoration photos look amazing as well. It is very lear that this car has found the right new owner.

26. This whole story is just blowing my mind! Is the restoration still on schedule for late May completion? I grew up in the 50's in East Tennessee and it was very unusual to see a car with this level of well done modifications. Most guys were understandably more into add-ons from J.C. Whitney or Honest Charlie. The only other car I remember with this extensive degree of mods was a sectioned shoebox Ford that always sat outside a gas station in Newport, Tn. There were lots of talented welders/ fabricators in the area, but most used their skills to build dirt track cars.

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  27. Wellsville

Wellsville
    from Sweden

Thank YOU for the info about your dads old car,, Really interesting,, :)

28. Just stumbled upon this post. That car is beautiful and the restoration work look like it's moving in the right direction. It always amazes me that someone will leave a car like that in a falling down barn to die. Glad it was found. Keep us updated!

29. yetiskustoms

yetiskustoms

very cool! thanks for posting