Register now to get rid of these ads!

Japan Gets It...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jive-Bomber, Nov 6, 2012.

1. Jive-Bomber

Jive-Bomber

2. I guess I will be the first to comment on this one! woo hoo! i think that it's awesome that those folks all the way in Japan can appreciate a good American built car (even though most of the vehicles that we 'hear' about over there are usually imports and such).i It's a cool thing to know that all the way across the world, there are old cars being driven and taken care of -the disco van sounds super cool! Kudos to you-i would love to go to Japan and visit Tokyo! (not to mention have some amazing sushi while i'm there too!)

3. Tom davison

Tom davison
    from Phoenix AZ

Back in the early 80's, I saw a general subject Japanese art magazine and there it was, a photorealistic painting of a '34 coupe rod in a California setting that was better, more nuanced and more correct than any American car artists were doing at that time. I thought, "How do they do that?". Passion for the subject, that's what it is.

4. sololobo

sololobo

Welcome home bro, Japan is a hip place to visit for sure. I have had the priviledge to do tons of business with my bro's from Japan. I have sent millions of bucks worth of vintage clothing, furniture, collectables, and other nifty Americana to these awesome people. Dealing with them was a great lesson in humility, honesty, and integrity. My 59 Ford tu-door Ranch wagon has recently gone there to live. Salute to them, my pals said hotrodding is tough there due to such crowded roadways and limited space all around. Sorry you missed it but we are lucky to have some very nice photo coverage of The Revolution. ~sololobo~

5. Theo Douglas

Theo Douglas

Yep, they totally get it, and they work harder at getting it than many of us do. Makes me think of Rin Tanaka, and a ton of other folks--Rin was into '60s-'70s Japanese dirt bikes when I met him, years before all that stuff caught on here again. They're way ahead of us in figuring out whatever area of old stuff we'll be revisiting next--and I have absolutely no problem with that.

6. I agree 1000%. I hate to say it, but Americans have gotten a bit too full of themselves, and most refuse to accept any other culture besides their own. You would be hard-pressed to find a culture as respectful to others as the Japanese. I think they're great for the hobby, and I'm glad that they have taken a genuine interest in it.

7. silverdome

silverdome

JB

Did you get any pictures to share with us?

8. Jungle Jalopy

Jungle Jalopy

Great post. I love looking (and listening) to U.S. subculture filtered through Japan. I noticed it took the Japanese a while to dig some of their countries own industrial output, but are now seeking it out in the U.S. which makes me happy, I'm glad that stuff is getting saved from the land fill and appreciated... 60's guitars, motorcycles, hi-fis etc. all made in Japan. My question is this. Is there any interest there in hot rodding old (30's, 40's) Japanese made cars? A '32 Datsun (with the chrome bunny on the hood) would be a cool little hot rod.

9. Cruiser

Cruiser

Twenty years back most all the cars in Japan were imported from the USA. Well, that's not the case theses days, there are twenty-two hot rod related shops in Nagoya alone. Imported American cars are still coming into Japan just not as much. The shops in Japan are putting out some great American style cars and the work is top notch.
    Jun of Paradise Road in Japan is one one the leading builders in Japan, you can checkout is web site www. ParadiseRoad.com. Every style of cars is showing up in Japan from traditional hot rods, lowriders, street rods, stockers, Corvette's VW's and there into their early Japanese cars. The Japanese take what they like from other counties and do a great job of respecting the original and putting their own twist on things.

CRUISER :cool:

10. mason-d

mason-d
    from san diego

YES! Japan is awesome I do about 80% of my business in Japan (clothing and surfboards) and love it because they really do appreciate quality and craftsmanship and arent scared to pay a little extra to get it. They really respect the traditional way of doing things where Americans (generally speaking) only appreciate getting things for as cheaply as possible regardless of the long term impact of doing so.
    IT is unbelievably expensive to have a traditional car there because of shipping, customs charges and storage so for them it really becomes a lifestyle more than just a hobby. THey eat, sleep and breathe whatever lifestyle they are into and as a result have some of the best builders and coolest cars around because they study the old culture so much. If you ever go to Japan check out their news stands and you will see this first hand. THeir magazines are like encyclopedias for style and history no matter what the subject matter is.
    They are for the most part some of the nicest, most humble cool people I have ever met. Japan REALLY gets it.

11. 1928chevycoupe

1928chevycoupe

Went once to Japan....
    Outside a busy mall in Japan, I happened to walk by a full bicycle rack and look at all the bicycles.......

NOT ONE SINGLE BICYCLE HAD A LOCK ON IT !!!

enuf said !

....They are honest people with good values.

12. When I was stationed in Yakota the only people with American Classics were the Japanese elite.

American servicemen could barely afford to own any car especially when they had to comply to strict safety and integrity standards for annual licensing.

So whenever we saw a Hemi Charger... float boat Caddy... or a 57 Chevy... you could bet that it was thoroughly enjoyed by an indigenous Japanese collector that really "Got It"!

13. pwschuh

pwschuh
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Lived there for 3 years. Incredible car culture. Japanese get into their hobbies in a big way and the ones who like cars go all out.

14. Isn't there a website called "Local Hero" or something similar that
    shows many cool custom cars in Japan? Hope I'm remembering
    correctly. Lots of great looking vehicles there.

15. autobilly

autobilly

I'm not so sure if they really get it. Sure the replication of the style and attention to detail are spot-on, but "it's" about more than just copying a look (despite how accurately and authentically).
    That said, having lived and "Hoodlum-ed" with these people for almost four years, they have my respect.
    [​IMG]

16. Jon SSS

Jon SSS

The prefix pseudo- (from Greek ψευδής "lying, false") is used to mark something as false, fraudulent, or pretending to be something it is not.

Just sayin'

17. Japan has always seemed like it would be great to visit, but the most I can afford is Google Maps street view these days. I did spot an older Citroen while browsing down random roads with it, but so far no hot rods.

18. Yes they do get it, and the look right.
    In fact Im here in Tokyo right now.... shame no car events on this week before i come back

19. go-twichy

go-twichy
    BANNED

nobody throws themself's in to something more than the folks in japan! maybe they could take it down a notch. . .

Attached Files:

20. Mark in Japan

Mark in Japan

"I've never been there, but I reckon they're all fake, and they just import the latest trendy car from Paso Maria" but I 'get it' coz I wear my jeans cuffed up, even though I'm 6'8.

Pfffffttt.

The biggest car club in Australia is called "Paypalz", coz their cars are all straight off ebay.....and car shows are becoming more about what 'costume' they wear........ sad days....

Go to Japan at Mooneyes show time, walk backstreets on the way back from the Mooneyes shop......you don't know what you are missing!!!:):):)

21. heyitsnate

heyitsnate

ive sold some of my bike builds to japanese customers. a lot of people here think they're all rich because some pay a lot for parts. truth is some of my friends there live in apartments and work several jobs to be able to afford what they love and thats pretty common.look at the "how many cars do you own" thread. generally its my opinion that a lot of americans want the house, dirt bikes, quads, the chopper the hot rod (1 of each even!) .kind of ridiculous. i like japan. at this point they are building great things there.

22. pwschuh

pwschuh
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

OK, I'll bite. What don't they "get"? Japanese people not hoodlum enough for you?

What are people in the US doing besides copying a look?

23. Re: older Japanese vehicles... It is VERY rare to find an older "Nippon-sei" vehicle here. Japan is one of the leaders in recycling. Ir would be safe to say that any metal that did not move was reprocessed during the war. Since then, in the 60's-70's Japan had their "boom". It was typical practice to replace your car after 4-5 years (if that). The restrictive regulations, et al, mentioned above were also put into place, ultimately so that people needed to trade in, this kept the Japanese car industry in business and people employed. My first visit here, I knew of a couple of salvage yards near Yokota AB. Now, 30 years later, all I can find are recycle yards who strip cars for the resalable parts and crush the remainder.

24. octobeak

octobeak

yup, there are some in japan who totally get it, no contesting that. I'm sure we have people building full on bosozoku's who get that too.

Am I alone in thinking that this website is testament to the fact that almost every major country has some of the same like minded folks? I don't personally think that my builds are full on traditional(we all do what we can), but several members of this site qualify without a doubt.

25. autobilly

autobilly

I think at it's root it's a cultural thing.
    I wasn't after a bite, read the post. My comments are based on my un-biased opinion, which in turn is based on consideration of the point and some experience in the matter.

26. nooch

nooch

I think you are totally wrong Autobilly - go to the Mooneyes show in Tokyo and you will see the classic styling with an ironic, humorous and awesomely badass twist that is uniquely Japanese! They are absolutely not just copying an American style - look at the resurgent bike scene, the US is copying Japan at the moment.

I agree with Octobeak - every time people start to get all fired up about the US on the HAMB I remind myself that there are awesome builders from all over the world on here, its what makes the web great. Plus, the best posts and best cars seem to be from Europe and Japan at the moment anyway. Its the difference between reverence and deference.

27. My old 56 Pontiac went to Japan after the owner I sold it to painted it Porsche India red and put a gray tweed interior in it...wonder what it looks like now?

Attached Files:

28. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

29. Scratchbuilt

Scratchbuilt

I'd go, probably fit in better there than i do here.