Register now to get rid of these ads!

Veda Orr's Lakes Pictorial 1946 Pt. 2

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jive-Bomber, Aug 7, 2012.

1. Jive-Bomber

Jive-Bomber

2. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

I think if I were picking for myself I'd have to take Frank Coon's '32. Wonder what the filled heads meant? Any idea???

On the next page the WEIAND-Van Maaanen roadster is so awesome and impossible to tell from the pics but I believe that car was painted BRIGHT GOLD and had chrome disk wheels. I think it can be seen on pg. 75 of the Birth Of Hot Rodding book. One of my favorites!!! Anybody confirm this?

3. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

I gotta get this book. There's a lot of info and imagery that I'd like to reference. Did Russetta ever put out anything this early? I know a lot of guys build coupes in a post war style lately and I was kinda wondering if there was a reference to look at like Veda's.

4. LOWCAB

LOWCAB
    from Houston

There was a book of the California Timing News that was put out on issues from May of 46 Vol1 #1 into April of 48 vol 2 #24. Really great book (328 pages). This was put together from the Dick Martin collection.

5. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Thanks Lowcab! Is it still available or am I gonna have to hunt it out and keep a keen eye out for it?

6. LOWCAB

LOWCAB
    from Houston

Here's some info on the book. There is a contact address on the inside of the book. It came as a sort of spiral bound book and is probably over an inch thick.
    Dick Martin
    530 S.E. Pine St
    Portland Oregon 97214
    [​IMG]
    No, I have no clue if this is still available anywhere.

7. KCsledz

KCsledz

8. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Is this the same Weiand Roadster?

Attached Files:

9. Bert letner 32= wally parks 32 ????

10. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

I quick search proves that this CT Book is gonna be a hard one to find Lowcab. I'm on it though!!! Thanks so much!

11. Rockerhead

Rockerhead
    Member Emeritus

The guys who competed at the Russetta meets were racers who belonged to the member clubs. Although many of them went on to successes in the racing or speed equipment "world", no one put together a book about the Russetta Timing Assn. The R.T.A. was organized in 1948 and ran until the start of the 1960s when it was melted into the SCTA. Prior to 1948 Russetta meets were run as a open lakes meets where anyone who paid a small fee could get timed.
    It would not have been profitable to publish a book on the R.T.A. back then. The only available info is in old magazines, newspapers and programs. Veda's publications were what you call a "labor of love".
    Don www.montgomeryhotrodbooks.com

12. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Thank you Rockerhead!

13. Thank you again for that, Jive-Bomber, these pics and lines make me feel like sittin' on the salt and watchin' all with my b/w-magic-glasses! been away for over an hour to see and read all of this... :rolleyes:

Carsten

14. Great book sure need to add it to my collection, did'nt the scta reprint it a while back?

heres a clearer pic of the weiand T great stance! my next project is definately gonna be a Track T but edging towards a 25

[​IMG]

15. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

That Weiand Special is perfect!!! Are those bumpers cut in half mounted to the sides?

16. StrickV8

StrickV8

Interested in one of these books if someone has one available...

17. HellsHotRods

HellsHotRods

I think it's interesting that VEDA has a generator mount on the head, but no generator.....

18. flamingokid

flamingokid

Rockerhead,thanks for the link.

19. goetzcr

goetzcr

Any more info on the "filled heads" mod? That's a new one to me. Any pics of the Weiand car from other angles? I'm not sure what I'm looking at with regard to the bumper halves (?) in front of the rear tires.

20. Lucky_mtl

Lucky_mtl
    from Montreal

wow so cool !

21. Lucky_mtl

Lucky_mtl
    from Montreal