Register now to get rid of these ads!

MAYDAY MAYDAY Banger Meet in is progress...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Artiki, May 1, 2008.

1. Artiki, Chris & Enbloc your cars are soooooooooo bitchin

2. Corn coupe

Corn coupe
    from CZ

Cheers Artiki - I never thought of it that way about the head - guess your right :rolleyes:. Aha Clive, I sought of know him, been to his place with Brummy Mick.

I'll give monkeybiker a shout

3. Shout received...
    I do have something you may be interested in - a 14.9 head. Didn't use it in the end.

4. Artiki/Corn Coupe I've got an unused flange available if Phil is out of 'em.

Thanks!

5. Thanks man!
    I got my hydrallic brakes all hooked up yesterday, the fronts lock up if you hit the pedal to hard, but it feels like the rears are not working to well. The shoes are adjusted pretty snug to the drum, and when I jack up the car and step on the brake, you cannot rotate the rear tire by hand. I may have some air in the wheel cylinders, as I rotated the backing plates about 20 degrees to get the cylinders to clear the spring hanger. Sooo, a little dickin around and hopefully back on the streets

[​IMG]

6. Von Dago

Von Dago
    from New Jersey

I've been collecting pieces for a A-V8 28 closed cab pick-up, but damn, you guys are making me think I should go with the banger!
    Nice stuff.

7. Traffic Violator

Traffic Violator
    from Bangerland

What carbs are some of you guys running on your A's? This is all new to me and I'm having trouble with the zenith dripping and running like a pig (i shut off the fuel when not in use)

I want to get hold of a better looking and performing (carb or carbs) but unsure what is best.

The motor is stock. Open to suggestions on head/carb combos too if some carb set ups are only gonna work with higher compression.

Any advice appreciated

Vince

8. Artiki

Artiki
    from Brum...

I'm running a single 97, one of the new ones, though a 94 works just fine. Probably need a fuel pump to go with it though.

9. Corn coupe

Corn coupe
    from CZ

[​IMG]

Carb combo, twin Tillitsons for me - work well, and look different..............

10. I run two 81's on a Burns intake

11. The Wrong-Un

The Wrong-Un

I run a single Winfield B downdraft. Not the cheapest option but it works fantastic.

12. Single "BB" Winfield on my "A" flathead, dual "BB"'s on my 2 port

Attached Files:

13. Elrod

Elrod

Dual Stromberg 81s with no fuel pump. Here is some video of it running!

14. Traffic Violator

Traffic Violator
    from Bangerland

Penty of options! If anyone knows of set ups for sale please give me a nudge [email protected]

15. :pThis last weekend, at Buttonwillow Raceway, west of Bakersfield, CA, our aged, 1932 "Banger" powered Champ Car, bested the Historic Class in a 15 minute event on this challenging road course. The field of 10 cars ranged from a 1915 National to two 1952 Cadillac-Allards, a Bugatti and a very fast MG Special. On Saturday, I was late to the grid; and had to start at the back. I caught up to the Allards; but, dropped back, as my car was starting to overheat. The quick Allard "puked" it's rearend, so I came in 2nd. On Sunday, having solved my cooling problems, I started on the pole. The remaining Allard was late to the starting grid, so he had to be at the end of the pack. After the start, I was never challenged. Though the fellow in the Allard turned one lap a fraction of a second faster than I had, I guess he wasn't consistant; as he couldn't gain ground on me.
    All of this was a result of 6 years, and three engines, of hard work. I've broken everything from cranks to torque tubes, including a steering pitman shaft.
    The current powerplant is based on a Model B Block, decked, JE domed pistons, Taylor Engine rods, five main crank by Joe Panek (Roto-faze).

16. fordsteel

fordsteel
    from Elkland PA

hey how do you like that single downdraft intake? Im in the market for one seeing whats working for other people I just got a lion speed head havent put it on yet but it looks nice.
    thanks

17. HotrodVon

HotrodVon

The current powerplant is based on a Model B Block, decked, JE domed pistons, Taylor Engine rods, five main crank by Joe Panek (Roto-faze).[/QUOTE]

Sounds- good - glad to see you had some success. Did Panek do the 5 main crank or are you running his Roto-Faze ignition?

Keven

18. I picked this up yesterday at a local swap meet. It's a 1948 Chevrolet Fleetline rear end with a aftermarket Truckstell overdrive unit. The car it came ot of had 48,000 miles on it (I was told). I want to adapt this to the torque tube on my A, anyone ever tried this? I think it would be pretty easy to do. It came with all the controls, and is a simple cable oporated unit. I paid 150.00 for the whole mess, think I overpaid?? I have no idea of the value, but do see what units like Mitchells sell for!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

19. quad4rods

quad4rods
    from denver

2'nd rod I've seen in a week with mechanical brakes. What am I missing here?

20. Artiki

Artiki
    from Brum...

Looks very interesting Chris. Strip it down and let us have a closer look. I reckon you should be able to adapt the front end of an A torque tube to it, same with the rear.

21. Well set up mechanical brakes in good condition will lock the wheels, assuming brake parts are in good condition. Some aftermarket products such as Flathead Ted's Floaters improve the brakes and require less pedal pressure. The problem is most people don't realize the adjustment procedure. I have installed 32 brakes on my RPU with a 32 front axle but if you use a drop axle it is probably easier to go with hydraulic brakes although I have seen extensions used to connect the front brake operating levers.
    I am NOT saying that mechanicals are better or as good as hydraulics but for a car with a mildly reworked 4 barrel engine they should be satisfactory. Most people have never driven a car with good mechanical brakes. But people my age ,72, grew up driving cars with mechanical brakes .

22. Elrod

Elrod

Mine stop the car very well. But for those white knuckle moments, the emergency brake is great. Locks the rear wheels up pretty good.

It's fun trying to steer, adjust the timing rod up to retard ignition while pulling down on the throttle rod to rev the car up a little to keep the 2 cold strombergs going while pulling the emergency brake so you don't ram into the SUV that just cut you off before the red light you're approaching! :D

I love a challenge!

23. The 2 critical things on the "A" or early Ford mechanical brakes, assuming the brakes are in good condition, are to center the shoes by bending the track up or down using a device located on spindle to check if they are centered, the device can be made from PVC pipe. The next thing is to disconnect the brake rods and, after adjusting the brakes, place the brake cross shaft in perfect alignment vertically, then adjust the rods to the brake levers, being careful not to move the cross shaft. There are other adjustments to give 60 40 contact and so on, but this is the basic adjustment, Also, the brake levers should be at aprox, 15 degrees forward, this can be adjusted by placing "pills" in the brake operating wedge where the brake push pin locates to correct for wear. These "pills are available from most "A" suppliers.

24. Artiki

Artiki
    from Brum...

We have an annual roadworthiness test over here in the UK, which includes a brake test on a rolling road. My mechanical brakes always easily pass the test.
    As Bill said, set up correctly mechanicals are fine.

25. DLipp

DLipp
    Member Emeritus

Hello you all.

I have started gathering Model A motor parts to build a street driven A. My question is what are my choices on flywheels. I was planning on putting in a V8 trans. Do I just lighten the stock flywheel and if so by how much for a street engine. Or do I have some other options? Best clutch option with my trans choice?

Thanks you all know a lot.

26. Cad La Dave

Cad La Dave
    from CA

Sounds- good - glad to see you had some success. Did Panek do the 5 main crank or are you running his Roto-Faze ignition?

Keven[/quote]

Blah, blah, blah.........

27. CoalTownKid

CoalTownKid

Oh dear Lord,..not the Mech brake discussion yet again!!!

Honestly, I'd redirect any questions one might have on mech brakes to a fellow in Texas by the name of Bill Buckmeyer. Look him up, he's a wealth of knowledge and is always happy to help others.
    The man is TOP notch on Model A mech brakes,...knows these things inside and out and knows how to get the very best out of them!

28. Well, If I have any problems in the future I will try to locate him and ask him how to fix it. Maybe you could get him to post on this forum! Thank you for the information! I did not realize that I was not giving accurate information.

29. RE: Crank for "Dawgs" Model B
    Joe Panek did the crank and the cam blank.

30. CoalTownKid

CoalTownKid

He's not much on forums, but I can always ask!;)