Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs Hubcaps - The Latest & Greatest

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Nov 23, 2010.

1. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

2. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

I think Olds caps are my favorite ever. I put them on my old '52 Merc and after going through a bunch of others I knew those were the one. I pretty much like anything with rings on it. '52 merc caps, '54 (I think) Olds. They're just cool. I even like them on Hot Rods sometimes!

3. Slick Willy

Slick Willy

Just goes to show that all of us New Englanders put all the ugly stuff out front to hoard all the good stuff inside!!:D

4. BOWTIE BROWN

BOWTIE BROWN

i like the 56 olds with a bullet . Nice hot rod sheeeeet.

5. SinisterCustom

SinisterCustom

There needs to be more hubcaps on traditional hotrods.....

6. newrider3

newrider3

I like their spelling of "Bonneville" as "booneville" in reference to the polished Moon discs. ;)

7. dullchrome

dullchrome
    from SoCal

There are actually a couple of really nice looking set ups in there.

8. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

Totally agree

9. With as cheap as hub caps are it amazes me that anybody would put chrome smoothies on thier car.

10. sololobo

sololobo

It was cool to see 55 Olds caps on one coupe and 56 Olds caps on my fave 40's rod/custom Chevy coupe at the Revolution. Just plain hot-damn cool. ~Sololobo~

11. 57Custom300

57Custom300
    from Arizona

"Back in the Day" the 57 Plymouth hub cap was the one everyone wanted around Detroit. I don't think anyone had enough money to afford a set of
    custom wheels back then.

12. Yep, had them on my 57 Fairlane 500, along with blue glass vent windows.

13. My dad recently told me of some of the hyjinx he and his buddies got into in the late '50s. Before he graduated in '59, a group of guys went to the nearest "town of size" and each guy stole a set of their favorite hubcaps to take home. My dad had (still has) good taste! His choice....'55 Olds spinners! Now I'm looking for a set for my truck, to honor him, and because they are sooooooooooooo cool!

'55 Olds covers.....early TorqThrusts.....Olds covers.....TorqThrusts.....

Last edited: Nov 23, 2010
  14. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

Around here finding steel wheels is the problem. They mostly got crushed or turned into jack stands.

-Dave

15. sololobo

sololobo

Here are some caps from The Revolution: Full Caddy's on a black 40 Ford coupe---classic full moon's on Lee Pratts solid gold 40 coupe---50 Merc w/trim rings on Joe Cabrals dreamy A sedan---all extremely tasty and period correct! Dig'em ~Sololobo~

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 24, 2010
  16. sololobo

sololobo

Trying for some more caps here: Some early Ford dog dishes---56 Olds on the cool 40's Chevy coupe---the regal crest on the this one I think is early Dodge, not sure, but way hip!! So there is a few of my faves. The 55 Olds caps on the black/gold scalloped 33-34 Ford coupe I didn't shoot it but it can be seen in other pix threads of The Revolution. ~Sololobo~

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 24, 2010
  17. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Lee Pratt's '40 rules.

18. Larry T

Larry T

Yep, Sears even sold a knock off of the 57 Plymouth hubcap. You could get them in 15's too. I sure wish I would have bought a couple of pallets of them.
    Larry T

19. belair

belair

A friend of mine tells the story of when, in 1955, he and some buddys watched a family take delivery of their new 1955 Oldsmobile. They followed them home, turned around and came back five minutes later, and the Olds caps had another new home.

20. Might have been my dad! (OOPS, did I say that out loud?)

Where did they live?

21. mj40's

mj40's

Cheap, where?. You will pay more for a nice original set of Caddy's than a good set of chrome wheels.

22. Hdonlybob

Hdonlybob

Yep, they were, and still are cool, classy, and will compliment about anything you put them on!!! :D

23. autobilly

autobilly

They do look great, but tend not to stay on under certain conditions.:D
    One things for sure, Chrystler sure had it coverd in the hubcap department.

24. skywolf

skywolf

If nothing in Ryan's post takes your fancy you may like to add a touch of late fifties bling.

[​IMG]

25. Just checked with summit. Smoothies are $70 plus shipping. If you can't find a nice set of caps for $300 go with your smoothies then.

26. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

That`s comin from sombody from the land of 10,000 Chrome smoothies. I think I`ll keep my Caddys. Well worth the extra price.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2010
  27. hubcaps are not wheel covers there i said it and will defend it !

neat thing most sleads can get away with making a set of four last for a long time as the rears are not used with skirts or the edge barely shows
    there for having extras when needed

also runing nonmatching ones on each side of the car makes for more options

28. weez

weez

I usually use whatever caps I can find 4 of, without spending too much... Then I hear "You went to the swap and all you got was hubcaps?" Yes, they are shiny and make me happy.

29. sixinarow

sixinarow
    from Fargo, ND

Is there anyone making the 'simple blades' shown on the Olds cap on the fourth image? I have 3 originals that I want to put on 56 Buick caps with a chrome bullet.

30. mkilger

mkilger
    BANNED

any one have a photo of a early 40's one bar flipers hub cabs, the ones with rings around the out side. research for a custom project thanks