Register now to get rid of these ads!

6 volt wiring, wire gauge question. diagram inside

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rustybucket, Jun 11, 2009.

1. rustybucket

rustybucket

I'm getting close to wiring my roadster (6 volts positive ground) and need to order my cloth covered wire. It has been recommended to me to go 2 gauges thicker in general for all components 6v vs 12v. I would like to double check and make sure I have the right plan before I order.

Are there any electrical gurus out there that could look at this wiring diagram (from the Tardel book) and let me know what they would recommend regarding wire gauge for this type system running 6V. I alwready have 00 battery cables but for the rest, 2 gauges smaller across the board or???

Thanks

Attached Files:

2. I would use 12 gauge for the headlights the reast looks ok

3. rustybucket

rustybucket

Any other opinions?

4. KJSR

KJSR
    from Utah
    1. Utah HAMBers

Yeah the headlights seem very small gauge. 6v VW used 10 gauge for all the "heavy" circuits including the headlights. It may be worth the extra size. If you can wait until next week I have a chart at work that should tell the wire size based off of current/voltage but I'm not 100% sure it goes down to 6v (aircraft stuff).

5. 39 All Ford

39 All Ford
    from Benton AR

I am not an electrical engineer, but IMO the 6 volt wires are heavy enough to do the job...

I used them on my 55 Lincoln conversion... I did not change diddly and so far so good...

(EDIT)

Duh,,, I get it now.... disregard my answer,,, I am a dumb ass...

Last edited: Jun 11, 2009
  6. Jimmy2car

Jimmy2car
    from No. Cal

Try this guy: Wiring by Tyree Harris, 2693 Crewsville Rd Bumpass VA 23024, 804-556-5200 Great guy, makes really good stuff

7. plym_46

plym_46
    from central NY

Rule of thumb, heavy load, lights, heater fan, gen to bat, wiper motor, etc, 10 gauge
    medium load, running lights, signals stop lamps, iterior lights other accesories, lighter, 12 gauge
    light stuff, dash lamps, instrument lighting, misc stuff 14 gauge

When in doubt go bigger.

also more grounds, good grounds, and clean grounds and other connections are what 6 V likes.

Battery cables need to be 0 gauge or the wide woven main ground strap.

Also do ground the engine and the body to the frame.

Also if you choose to put a battery cut out switch on it, don;t use those with the green knob on them. They don't pass enough current, put one in like they use on race cars

8. Volts times amps equals watts, if you total up the wattage of the circut and devide it by the voltage it will give you the amperage to wire for,,,,or you can do what has been said. My .02

9. rustybucket

rustybucket

10. Warpspeed

Warpspeed

There are two ways to rate wiring gauge, temperature rise, and voltage drop. In a six volt system, voltage drop will become far more significant long before the wires start running too hot. Voltage drop also increases with the distance, so you need to think in terms of how far, and how many amps when deciding which wire gauge to use. As others have said, if in doubt go heavier. Apart from the cost of the actual wire, heavy will have all the advantages, and no disadvantages.

11. lewislynn

lewislynn

I'm not a guru but a good rule of thumb is:
    Wire gauge is typically determined by amps not volts.
    40 amp = #8
    30 amp = #10
    20 amp = #12
    15 amp = #14
    Those gauges even work in your home with 110/220 volts