Register now to get rid of these ads!

Dallas to Austin? Something better than 35

Discussion in 'Hot Rod Revolution' started by Anderson, Dec 8, 2011.

1. Anderson

Anderson

Plan is to head out bright and early Saturday morning...but I'd like to take a different route than 35 like always. If not for the trip down, then the trip home.

Any suggestions? Time isn't a problem...I'm looking for something more scenic and fun to drive.

2. ryno

ryno

Search out some lone star threads.
    I know it's been shown in some threads as we normally leave the Czech stop in west to head south. Big Ken usually leads us.I know we past little river drag way. All back two lane roads.

3. Bass

Bass
    from Dallas, TX

This will take nearly an extra hour, but you asked...

Plug these into Google Maps:

A.) Dallas
    B.) Hico
    C.) Lampasas
    D.) Marble Falls (Stop and eat at the Bluebonnet Cafe)
    E.) Camp Mabry

257 miles, 4 hrs 45 min.

4. ParkinsonSpeed

ParkinsonSpeed

Go down 377 to stephenville to 281 then south like Bass said. Lots of sights to be seen and its goes by alot faster then you would think. Im from granbury and prefer 281 to 35 anyday.

5. Rolleiflex

Rolleiflex

I agree with what all the guys have said previously. I have family in Denton and I always go 281. I hate 35 it is real a headache.

6. That is "the" route......have taken it many times

7. Anderson

Anderson

Excellent! Thanks you sirs. See you tomorrow.

Brian....I assume that is at "Bass Speed", so for a regular driver it would take 6 hours right? haha

8. Garry Carter

Garry Carter

And, if you don't mind adding a few more miles and a little more time to the return trip, then head west on Hwy 71 to Llano and then north on Hwy 16 thru San Saba to Comanche. At Comanche, turn right onto 377 -- thru Stephenville and Grandbury -- back to the metro-mess. I'd almost guarantee you'll have Hwy 16 to yourself and the scenery is beautiful.

9. davidh73750

davidh73750

when I go to lsr I always go either there or back on 281 much more scenic route for sure