Register now to get rid of these ads!

The Road to The Hot Rod Revolution

Discussion in 'Hot Rod Revolution' started by TomT, Dec 6, 2011.

1. At the stroke of midnight tonight, we begin an odyssey, the Road to the HRR in my flattie powered 40 Ford coupe with a buddy of mine riding shotgun. It's nearly 1600 miles one way, no big deal for many and I'm no stranger to some long runs but 1600 is a long, long way, especially running a flattie. Well, it IS all about the ride ....

Of course, there are always some last minute issues before leaving - when does that NOT happen? We'll be going by way of I85 through Greensboro, NC to Charlotte, NC, then on to Atlanta, ending in Montgomery, AL for our first nights stop. There we will meet up with some HAMB folks (thanks Kinky6!), hang out for a bit, and the next morning we're off to Houston via I65 to I12/10 where we'll meet up with some family of my buddy's. On Friday AM we again meet up with another HAMBer Nonstockphoto (thanks!), visit a shop or two, then off to Austin to check out the A.S.S. kickoff party. Saturday is the big day and the weather looks like it is really trying to cooperate. Sunday we begin our ride back although our exact route is open as yet - hopefully we will be cruising with some other HRR attendees, perhaps making a few stops along the way to visit other HAMBers.

My cell is 757-817-7517 should anyone need help. We'll post updates and our progress here .....

Attached Files:

2. ChuckleHead_Al

ChuckleHead_Al

Good luck, we will see ya out there Saturday.

3. zibo

zibo
    from dago ca

have fun!
    I'm a girlie man,
    passing up a 1200 mile one way from san diego.
    TP

4. Nice Ride...."and" a cool engine:cool: to boot....see ya in a few days

5. Thanks one and all - got all my"issues" squared away and we are a go!!!

Skotz and Chickenhead -we'll see you there! Zibo, lookin' to visit San Diego with the wife sometime in March. Maybe we can hookup and shoot the breeze for a bit .....

6. TexasHardcore

TexasHardcore
    from Austin-ish

Good luck, look forward to seeing your car in a few days!

7. Mad Mouse

Mad Mouse

Good luck, keep warm. See ya all there. Look us up, 32 Tudor, black with flames,

8. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

There's a cold front moving through Houston, but it should be a little warmer by the time you get here. Well, 40's and 50's warmer.

Be safe!

9. BRIZEY

BRIZEY

I`ll be following your journey `blog` as it unravels Tom, Have a fun filled trouble free drive...

10. Well, we made it to our first stop, Montgomery, AL. It started out warm and cloudy and ended up cold, rainy, and WINDY! After multiple stops we finally got the timing down on my car. It again had no power, popped throught the carbs, gas mileage in the toilet. Then, by accident, we stumbled on a timing place that was totally unexpected, wayout of the bounds I would have ever thought. But, who am I to argue with the flathead Gods?

I also lost my speedo cable - I'm running the stock 40 gauges and it came undone, slid down, dragged on the ground untill it wore through. Someone pointed it out to me and I removed the remnants. We also had a high idle issue - my 2-carb linkage was slipping ot he back carb, causing me to idle at 2200. It was a simple enough fix but cutting across 4 lanes of traffic to the shoulder for the repair was a pretty good trick!

Our biggest problem to date is a slipping clutch - I'm presently trying to make arrangements to swap out the clutch before we make our way home, hpefully nursing it through the weekend .... Of course, it's the T5 to flattie special clutch disk, hard to come by locally. I have a spare disk and needed parts all sitting at home - nice place for them, huh? It's always the stuff you don't bring that breaks .... :)

Hopefully pics of the Mont, AL HAMBers meet and greet tonight will follow later if I don't fall asleep ... zzzzzzzz ....

11. david363

david363
    from Texas

I can bring a pressure plate and disk to the Revolution if needed.

12. Safe travels Tom! I look forward to seeing that beautiful coupe up close.

13. I'm jealous, Tom! Wish I could make the trip out with you guys! Maybe one of these days! Say hey to everyone for me! :D

14. Awesome Tom!
    Sorry I couldn't go...
    Please keep us updated and take lots of pictures!

15. oldschool79l

oldschool79l

That sounds like a lot of fun man. have a fun and safe trip. Not sure if my buggy could run that kind of mileage.

16. After a long day, we met up with John (Kinky6 here on the HAMB) and 3 other local buddies of his, Barry, Ron and Brian, at the Dreamland BBQ place in downtown Montgomery. Cool place, great food, and the company – well, it’s what the HAMB is all about. We all had a great time talking cars, life, and our present builds. They asked why would we pick Montgomery, AL to stop at and not a larger ‘Burg – our response was that it was a pretty good half way point – and it was. They just think others would look at Montgomery and think it a little, small, perhaps insignificant place. Well, it’s the people that make a place and these HAMB folks were the best. We now have some great friends in Alabama ….

The first pic has, from left to right, Ron, Brian, myself, John, Barry and my buddy Earl …. The 56 is Brian’s and a great, simple, cool custom. It was great hearing that solid lifter cammed engine as Brian and Ron dropped us back off at our B&B. We must have talked for another hour standing outside in the freezing cold – I think we could have been there all night talking if it wasn’t so cold!

A great night and a great start to our trip – thanks Kinky6 for setting it all up.

So, we had a great nights sleep and a super breakfast at the B&B, we go out to load up and the coupe is loaded w/frost – I had to scrape the windows off. My car has never been out in that cold in the 14 years I’ve owned it – I was hoping it would start. Go in to start it and to my surprise - no fire! Here we go again … but no, it just seems my starter button is a bit flaky. Maybe all the rain yesterday? Who knows … after fooling with it, it now functions but is hanging out of the dash as it won’t work in the dash – go figure. Another small fix to do when time allows …..

As I write this, Earl is driving and we’re on our way to Mobile, AL on I65 – as Brian had said last night, there’s a whole lot of nothing out on I65 and he wasn’t kidding. It’s us, a few trucks and cars, tress and farmland – but it sure is pretty country. Our destination tonight is Houston and, barring anything unforeseen (LOL), we should get there around 6 PM ….. in actuality, we got in around 7:30 PM

Here’s a question for you – have you ever sat in any other seat of your car besides the driver’s seat? Funny thing, it’s a pretty different view and perspective from that side of the car – really. I had never been in my car unless I was in the driver’s seat so this was a first for me – maybe it’s not such a good thing. I made up a long list of things I now need to do since I had the “time” to check stuff out while riding shotgun ….

Attached Files:

17. More pics from our run to Houston today - car ran great adn we were running anywhere frfom 65-75 all day long, clutch is still slipping but once we got rolling it was OK, and no further starter button probs .... geez, almost an uneventful day! The last pic was taken with very little light left - but there is a sign there that does say, WELCOME TO TEXAS!

Attached Files:

18. Oh, man, David - I wish I could have picked up your offer during the day but with no I-net access, I didn't get it until tonight. No, thanks man, but I ordered a the Austin Speed Shop - but really, thank you very much for the offer .... I'll see you there!

19. Thank you!

20. Hey, Brett, you are always welcome and I will send your regards to all ....

21. Hey, next year man how about a run to the LSR?! We'll put some miles on that car quick!

22. We're having a blast so far - hey, sure it can - let's do it next year to the LSR along w/fuxl!

23. Hey Breezy, come 'cross the pond and you can ride shotgun next year as Earl will probaby have his car ready to make the trip and I'll have an empty seat ....

TexasHardcore - what are you driving so I know how to find you?

Madhouse - oh, man, a 32 tudor build is on my "bucket list" for sure - see you there!

24. Yep, it's cool but not too bad - as long as it's not wet! Thanks for the heads up ....

Love your avatar, dude!

25. andyg

andyg

That's a sweet little ride TomT. See you there!

26. Hey Andy, are you bringing the roadster I hope???!!

27. kisam

kisam

TomT,
    My daughter and I will be leaving Houston in Tuffy around 10 and meeting Brokenspoke in Brenham. We will keep an eye out for you!

28. andyg

andyg

Yep...left about 10:30 yesterday. At Dallas now. Only a slight water pump leak. Running good so far. It was 22 degrees when I left Missouri yesterday...:eek:..burrrrr!!! Leaving to meet up with Ddooce (DW) in Desoto (south Dallas) this morning to have head on in to Austin.

See ya down here!
    Andy

29. Rudy J

Rudy J
    1. Austin HAMB'ers

Safe travels - look forward to checking out that sweet 40

30. So, Friday was a bit of a lay back day as it turns out, with the A*S*S kickoff party the end of a great day. We took our time going to Austin and ended up making two unexpected stops, each one at opposite ends of the spectrum car wise. Our first stop was at the Timeless Texas Classics on Rt 71, owned and operated by Lance Herrington. Big into T-Birds and Fords in general, he had some fine looking cars and some nice restos in progress. As you look through the pics check out the Rambler wagon, a soon-to-be parts getter, the the 56 Victoria. Lance was kind enough to give us a tour and spend some time with us, just talking about cars. That’s Lance with my 40 … He definitely has some rare/different cars, and he mostly is centered around Ford car restorations with a lean towards comfort, quite, and cars done right.

Attached Files: