Register now to get rid of these ads!

A spin on a 32 Roadster (The Piata)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Mnhotrodbuilder, Oct 26, 2010.

1. Mnhotrodbuilder

Mnhotrodbuilder
    from Afton, MN

So I started saving on my last deployment to buy a 1932 roadster. However, upon my return I still didn't have enough money for one but with the support of my wife she let me get one anyway. The car was found in the Omaha NE area. I called the guy and he gave me the whole story staring from 1946 on. I thought the story and the car were different. So on my 30th Birthday(OCT 8th) I flew into Omaha and Drove the car back to Sierra Vista AZ in two days. The trip went well except the speedo went out couple hours into the trip. The car coughed antifreeze on me twice(but didn't overheat) and it leaked a quart of oil every 4 hours. The worst leak being from a loose dipstick tube I found later. Also, Roadster and freezing temps didn't make forthe most enjoyable time on the interstate in the middle of the night through CO, that was rough ;)

Don't Let the pics fool you the body and paint are Pretty rough; not rusty just beat up.

If anyone knows anything about the car or something I don't please chime in. I know in 2007 it was driven to CA from NE for the 75th Anniversary of the 32's. It's also been to local shows in CO back in the day and local shows in NE lately

It makes me smile when people come up to me and can't figure out what type of car it is ;)

Jesse

I will have pics up in a couple mins(still learning how to do it) with the giant file size.

UPDATES ON PAGE 4 and 5

Last edited: Jul 3, 2011
    Stogy, kidcampbell71 and Ryan like this.
  2. Mnhotrodbuilder

Mnhotrodbuilder
    from Afton, MN

3. Mnhotrodbuilder

Mnhotrodbuilder
    from Afton, MN

4. Mnhotrodbuilder

Mnhotrodbuilder
    from Afton, MN

5. Mnhotrodbuilder

Mnhotrodbuilder
    from Afton, MN

I was told it had a banjo steering wheel that was sold off awhile back. I'm going to change that. Not sure were this one came from?

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 26, 2010
  6. Mnhotrodbuilder

Mnhotrodbuilder
    from Afton, MN

7. pitman

pitman

Quite a story on a survivor rod! Thanks for the pics.

8. kma4444

kma4444

Now there's a unique one. Very cool

9. VonKool13

VonKool13

Saw that at the last LA roadster show. Bitchin car.

10. AJofHollywood

AJofHollywood

I saw it for sale on Craigslist too, about a month ago right? I wanted it, but my wallet said otherwise. I'm glad a HAMBer owns it now.

11. flatford39

flatford39

Oh boy...I am sincerely sorry but I think it's a crying shame that someone took a deuce & turned it into an MG.

Interesting car but not my cup of tea. I usually never respond to these kind of threads but something about this one was just pushing me.

12. AJofHollywood

AJofHollywood

I think you are thinking about the maroon colored Model A lowboy with the E&J lights and wire wheels out of the south bay.

Lets see more pictures.

13. harrington

harrington
    from Indiana

Awesome, I dig it. It is refreshing to see a '32 that isn't a cookie cutter. Congrats on picking up a killer ride.

P. S. Thank you for your service to our country.

14. AJofHollywood

AJofHollywood

This is what they did in the 40's when a 32 roadster cost $100.

15. That thing is awesome, Great Score!!

Stogy likes this.
  16. Where are you going to take this build???

Restore it to it's custom or pre-custom times?

I like the uniqueness!

Roadsters are pure fun no matter your preference... make sure your wife has some input... it makes for an enjoyable build when everybody contributes to the end results!

Last edited: Oct 29, 2010
  17. 29nash

29nash
    BANNED
    from colorado

Dang. You'll get some diss from people that don't like, for that matter, don't KNOW what a real traditional hot rod is, but you got one.
    Dang. I like it a lot. After putting a banjo back on it, I wouldn't change a thing.

Stogy likes this.
  18. F&J

F&J

There was a strong sports car influence trend coming from returning WW2 european veterans. Many cars were modded like this, as well as some even earlier ones that were influenced by the Packard Darrin roadster.

It's all history.

I think it is incredible that quite a few survived all these years in good condition. These orphans were likely almost valueless at some point in the past....just like V16 Cads once were.

Stogy likes this.
  19. Not the old "I can't believe they did that to a deuce" bullshit, get over it. The thing was built 60 years ago when "deuces" were just another old piece of shit. G.I.'s wanted european sports cars but couldn't always afford, and '32 were cheap.

Stogy likes this.
  20. Mnhotrodbuilder

Mnhotrodbuilder
    from Afton, MN

Yeah it was....The guy I purchased the car from is a rodder to the core. Him and his brother drive around the country to cars shows in their free time. They thought it was cool to see someone my age into cars as much as them. They said they were worried about hotrodders going to newer cars. I quickly told them about this site and others like it with thousands of people from around the world that have the same passions as them. So we talked till 1AM before I started the drive to AZ. He isn't internet savvy his wife posted it online for him. I pay less than they were asking but he was happy and I was happy (I was because I couldn't afford anymore)

Last edited: Aug 10, 2013
    Stogy likes this.
  21. AJofHollywood

AJofHollywood

Well you are going to have to give us a tour of the car. Picture all around, under, inside, we need to see the engine, etc.

22. Very cool purchase , now fix your avatar and you're all set!

23. Mnhotrodbuilder

Mnhotrodbuilder
    from Afton, MN

I'm going to put a grancor 3x2 intake, grancor heads and banjo wheel on....maybe a set of wires THATS IT, for now There is a tinfoil fuse I noticed when I got home :) I will use cloth coated wires colored like the old ones. They are cracked a lot and I at least want it to be safe on the road. I know some people will hate it but I don't care. I just like to share what I have for the ones that will enjoy it. I just figure people built cars with the best parts they had back then and this is what they came up with.

Maybe I should post pics of my red 31 coupe with a chevy running gear for the others ;) Its the definition of a street rod but with the 383 with 500hp she will be fun, soon she will be finished once I finish getting her channeled and put back together. I like both for different reasons

Trust me this is a driver, I took it to walmart to get dog food last night. I like just driving the car around town to run erunds.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2011
  24. Mnhotrodbuilder

Mnhotrodbuilder
    from Afton, MN

My avitar is my 31. Its in 1000 pieces because I had to channel it. I'm broke for now so it will be holding my wifes garage space for a bit.

I will get more pics up of the car later this week.

Harrington, Thanks for your support!!

25. Doodlrodz

Doodlrodz
    Member Emeritus

Congrats and thanks for posting it on here.

26. jakesbackyard

jakesbackyard
    from ND
    1. Upholstery

Another great story of an old hot rod coming through the years. Have fun with it.

27. B Blue

B Blue

Love it. Most don't know it, but this car is tons nicer than most of the Rods made during the period. Most guys were long on desire, short on cash and talent and the results have been long gone. Hell, they did not hang around long enough to get to meet the crusher.

Drive the shit out of it. I wish I had it.

Bill

28. cWaInc

cWaInc
    from Phoenix

Love it! Cool history too! Can I get dibs on that wheel! It's perfect for my theme! I can picture my uncle in something like that back in the day after the Army.

29. Beautiful, I love everything about it & its better than an MG

30. Well done, have fun. Keep us posted.