Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Rubbin' Is Racing

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Nov 30, 2009.

1. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

2. saltflatmatt

saltflatmatt
    Alliance Vendor

Fantastic way to start my Monday! I need to get my 3yo in a kart!

3. 333 Half Evil

333 Half Evil

Some guys have all the fun!!! Thanks again for sharing Ryan....YOU RULE!!!

4. oldrodslive

oldrodslive

Or a junior dragster!

-Mike

5. Labold

Labold

Every guy on here wishes he could've had the chance to jump behind the wheel of one of these as a kid.

6. Bud

Bud
    from Orange, CA

Those have to be some of the greatest pics ever on the HAMB! I love the group shot, looks like something from Our Gang....Priceless. Thanks Ryan!

7. that is so cool, what a way to grow up!
    I do some PC work for some of the local roundy round guys, a few have their 12-15 or so year old sons set up with wicked 600cc mini's and even their own fully stocked support and crew trailers! amazing money invested in their kids hobby, that will probably turn them driving professionally for someone soon.
    Some dude had a methanol burning single cyl. cart for his kid, prolly in the 5-6 year old range! What a way to grow up indeed!!
    Damn cool vintage shots and thanks for sharing!

8. you got that right! I remember driving our homely go-cart out in the cow field with shit flying off the tires at break neck speeds, imagining we are speed racer or something and off in another world for a short time. Its amazing what the thrill of speed does for a young lad.

9. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Ummmm......Awesome!!!!! I wished I was doing that when I was wee little lad.

10. Labold

Labold

That's what I started with too, a pieced together second hand go-cart.
    I would ride that thing sun up to sun down. Never really thought about it but I was pretty good at keeping that thing up and running. To quote dear ol' Dad "You'll figure it out".

As a kid I had no idea rides like the ones pictured even existed.

11. Labold

Labold

...It's amazing at what the thrill of speed does for an adult too :D

12. as a kid? i want to drive one of those now!!!!

13. 1Bad67

1Bad67

Cool.. just spent the weekend with my boy working on his Quarter Midget. Just wish I coulda had one myself as a kid.

14. Brandy

Brandy
    from Texas

Quarter midgets are too cool for words! We have a dirt track here that's been around longer then most of the members on this board..........if I can talk my brat out of BMX and Motocross racing, he'll get his ass strapped into one. They can get up to like 70mph? Zoom zoom~

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

http://www.vintagequartermidget.com/bodies.html

15. Ruiner

Ruiner

Brandy, do they make Pontiac engines that small? :D

I wish I had grown up around that kinda stuff, rural Minnesota has farms and fields, that's about it.

16. F-6Garagerat

F-6Garagerat

First self propelled vehicle I had was a second hand go-kart i bought off a kid in the neighbor hood. No engine, just a roller. My older brother scored me a briggs 5hp engine from a rototiller and we peiced the rest together. Hooked for life.

17. Brandy

Brandy
    from Texas

Well, I'm thinking..........if we build a big enough, YET small enough car *16 year old kids race*, we can POSSIBLY stuff a 6cyl in there.:D Farms would have been the best place to learn to drive one!

18. bigbal

bigbal

The photo here is my Dad and I at the circle track next to the San Fernando Drag Strip July 1964. I still have the helmet in my closet. 12 years earlier my Dad was racing a Model A highboy at the Saugus dragstrip.

Attached Files:

19. Ruiner

Ruiner

Oooh, I know where there's a Sprint 6 OHC motor laying around...that oughta scare the poo outta him...

20. f1 fred

f1 fred
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from mn

I cant believe you used a line from Days of thunder for the title:D
    Does anyone make reproductions of these?

21. Brandy

Brandy
    from Texas

Quarter Midgets are REAL popular.......they just come with a cage now.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

22. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

The point should be having fun. It's not so good to push a youngn' too hard too soon. Just ask Mark Martin. I hear his kid is burnt out already and hasn't even made it up to the junior division. Maybe that's what is pushing him so hard when he's at the age to be a greeter at Walmart.

Frank

23. autobilly

autobilly

Great pic's. Made me a little sad to see little Jimmy's young face so happy and full of promise, then read that he was paralyzed in Vietnam.

24. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Too cool! a bit off topic, but does anyone here have molds or a body for a half or T.Q. sized car? I have nephews with needs.....

Last edited: Nov 30, 2009
  25. Brandy

Brandy
    from Texas

On the flip side of that coin Frank.........there are a LOT of kids with a natural born need for speed, who are competitive as all get out; and live for the thrill. My brat is a natural on anything with 2 wheels and he never comes home with less than a 2nd place trophy.

But that's ALL him, I'm one of those star struck parents who gets sidetracked by the shiny objects *read, his local track is next to the batting cages and museum*.:D

26. mauler rich

mauler rich

now thats kool!!!!!

27. Hey, that is Bubba's kid. First pic I have ever seen of him or the car. Just hear his dad talking about it all the time. Apparently that little guy has some skills.

28. As a matter of fact, I was. Started in '55 at 10 years old. Drove this car, the first Kurtis kraft 1/4 midget built, to the first ever 1/4 midget national championship in Phoenix, Az, in '57. Cool to see Rick Goudy (name mis spelled in the pic) in the group shot. Rick and I had some good battles on some of the so cal tracks.

[​IMG]

29. James Curl

James Curl

In the late 40s Popular Mechanics published an article on a racer powered with half of a flat head Harley, used Crosley and Austin parts for running gear and chassis. I used to dream of building one to race. I got into hot rods and drags until 59 when I saw my first Go Kart. I was hooked, raced short track and endro for 11 years. But once you get married things change if you have a keeper.

30. autobilly

autobilly

Very cool Dean!