Register now to get rid of these ads!

Fading Thunder...Abandoned Racetracks in Virginia and the Carolinas

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by phartman, Aug 19, 2011.

1. Did the track ever go by any other name than Robinwood? It is a little difficult to follow the various tracks in that area since a couple were bought and sold, the names changed over the years and it is hard to tell which place is which. Anything you might add here would be much appreciated.

And while we're talking about the greater Charlotte area, did I understand that Ray Everham has bought one of the abandoned dirt tracks and brought it back to life? Anybody have an update on that?

Again, much appreciated.

Pete
    Richmond, VA

2. frank spittle

frank spittle

Yes, Ray Evernham did join an investment group a few years ago and purchase East Lincoln Speedway, a 3/8 mile clay track near Stanley NC. However, this track has been in operation since opening 20 years ago.

3. jipp

jipp

wow this thread brought up a old movie iv not seen in over 10 years.
    Last American Hero,, was a good movie from what i remember. :D

chris.

4. Phartman: Re: Robinwood Speedway
    As far as I can remember it was known only known as Robinwood .. I've seen published articles about "Humpy" Wheeler and they always referred to it as Robinwood...it was one of his early times as a promoter... I'm not sure of how long it was in existence,but I contributed a 3 3/8" x 4" flathead ( Built by Willie Thompson ) to a car that ran there in the summer of '60..

5. Howeird46Chev

Howeird46Chev

Pete, your pics. of Strawberry Hill ( Richmond) with the wooden fence brought back a lot of memories. I ,and a lot of my buddies,used to sit on the back stretch of that fence until they chased us off. Then we would vie for the best spots in the trees until a break between heats when we would jump the fence and scatter to keep them from catching us. Every now and then a car would come through the fence and kids would get knocked off or out of a tree. Amazingly, I don't remember anybody getting hurt.
    Willie Glass is/was a lot more than a Bonneville racer. Back in the day he raced BSA motorcycles at the strip, had a blown Pontiac rail that tore up the middle east, a T-turtledeck Altered called the Deadwood Stage along with the Plymouth that Todd posted. They won't show pics. of his 200 MPH Bonneville roadster in any magazines because it has a little fat Rebel with a Confederate flag on the side and thats not politically correct. The man is a car guy and drag strip racer that is a story in his own right. I have known him since I was about 13 and I'm 69 now and he's 77. We share the same Apr. 27 birthday.
    Wilson Duke can tell you a lot about Monte Kline cause he used to run a car with him. Willie and a bunch of us can talk to you about Sonny Mallory as we knew him fairly well. Willie may have found Sonny's old 34 Ford 3 window coupe but I can't tell you where it may be. Maybe the next time I'm in Richmond I'll give you a call. Howard

6. VA HAMB

VA HAMB

Hey Howard, Was Sonny referred to as the Flying Fat Man? I have seen a pic of him at Louisa. Maybe I can get it and post it if it is him. Sure would like to meet Willie and see that coupe. hint, hint!

7. VA HAMB

VA HAMB

[​IMG]

Eastside Speedway Waynesboro, VA. It still looks just like this. This is another photo by Alan Garletts. Ronnie Sox taking on Phil Bonner. Dont know the year but I would guess around 67ish.

8. Howeird46Chev

Howeird46Chev

Todd,,, Yes that was Sonny. Give me a call, One day soon....

9. Thanks, guys.

Willie (and a number of other guys locally) are waaaaay overdue for a story in some national publications. Very puzzling that it's so long in taking place.

I'd say the same about Pee Wee Wallace and his many early funny cars.

10. VA HAMB

VA HAMB

Here are a couple more. One from Lyncgburg and I think the other is Roanoke (mentioned here earlier) I think it is. Someone here will know for sure. Howard??

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. Yes, the second photo is the Starkey Dragstrip near Roanoke. It'w now a softball field.

12. VA HAMB

VA HAMB

Did someone say Pee Wee Wallace?:D
    Another Alan Garletts photo. Courtesy of Steff Garletts.

[​IMG]

13. Kreepea_1

Kreepea_1

That is a badass lookin car!

14. reece

reece
    from NC

Any info or pics about Southern Speedway in Altamahaw, NC? I went there as a kid and got to take a lap around the track in one of the local's cars before the races started. Today it is known as Ace Speedway.

15. Never, ever heard of that one, but I'll put it on the research list. Man-o-man these tracks keep coming and coming out of no where. There must have been way more than anyone ever imagined. I always heard as a kid that "every tobacco farmer had a race car of one kind or another." And there must have been a ton of tracks- straight and oval- to accomodate all those cars.

Thanks for all the suggestions here, guys. Very helpful.

Pete

16. edweird

edweird

great pics of jackson drag strip phartman. do you have any more?

17. Smokey2

Smokey2

Great Posts Phartman (ha)(hopefully ?)
    Lot of DEDICATION Involved Here.................Thank You ! Thank You!!

Smokey2
    I'm Not as Smoked-up, as some Think.......I go way back. And wooden take Enything
    for being there in the 50' and 60's.......Great times!

"You know you're gittin' Old, when everythingt reminds you of a Story." smile

18. DaveHFulton

DaveHFulton

I saw it mentioned in this thread that nobody could find a picture of Mooer's Field Speedway in Richmond, Virginia's Scott's Addition. Here is a picture. March 14, 1954 photo. Mooers Field Speedway - Richmond, Virginia. Off West Broad Street at end of Roseneath Road at Carlton in Richmond's near West End, just past Curles Neck Dairy and just before the Acca Railroad Yards (see background). Richmond Colts played baseball at Mooers Field before baseball in Richmond moved to Parker Field on The Boulevard in 1954. Paved weekly Richmond stock car racing eventually moved to Chesterfield County, Virginia's Southside Speedway, which originally opened as Royall Speedway. We used to sit in the dairy bar at Curles Neck Dairy on Saturday afternoon and watch the parade of what my dad called "jalopies" lined up to enter the track. The facility was leveled in 1958. I saw my first circus on the same grounds - the big tent show of Clyde Beatty/Cole Brothers sometime in the 50s. The original baseball grandstands are clearly visible in the racetrack photo.

You'll notice on the Maryland Stock Car Racing Hall of Fame site for Johnny Roberts http://www.mdscrhof.org/Johnny_Roberts.php , that he is listed as having finished 3rd in NASCAR Sportsman standings at Mooers Field for the 1954 season.

Attached Files:

19. Thumper

Thumper

Hey Pete......I just got wind of an old dragstrip up around Bassett, Va. My father in law was telling me about it.... he just found out about it and he has lived in Fieldale all his life !! When I go back up for the AMVets car show I'll check it out...'cause....thats where they have it !!:D

20. DaveHFulton

DaveHFulton

That was Herman Beam's car, driven at Richmond by Larry Thomas, sponsored by Sonny Mallory (The Round Man with the Square Deal). Cale originally drove the car and Herman later fielded the #19 as a Chevey for JT Putney.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2011
  21. DaveHFulton

DaveHFulton

The car, with Larry Thomas driving, ran 4th, 11 laps down at Richmond in the 1964 Capital City 300, behind Cotton Owens, David Pearson and Richard Petty. Cale drove the same car at Richmond in the spring Richmond 250.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2011
  22. Dave, thank you thank you sir! Great important pieces to the puzzle. It was a flat track, I understand?

And would you know anything about sprint cars and/or midgets racing at the city stadium?

Again, many thanks.

Pete

23. Thumper, I am told that the dragstrip was at the site of the old Fairystone racetrack. It's gone through several name changes and reconfigurations. French Grimes recently brought it back to life. But it is closer to Oak Level, opposite direction from Fieldale. I wonder if there was a second dragstrip there east of Bassett? Dunno.

Please let me know what you find out.

Again, I am stunned by the number of tracks and motorsports venues in the three states. Even today there are still many places to go racing, but few people appreciate how rich the history is locally here.

Many thanks, fellas.

Pete

24. Update, update! I just spoke with Roddy Moore out at the Blue Ridge Institute at Ferrum, and he tells me that, Yes, not only was there a dragstrip at Fieldale, it is still there! Two very narrow paved lanes (you didn't want to get sideways!) And they ran Super Stocks there. Pictures, anybody???

And he tells me there was an operating dragstrip at Virginia International Raceway (VIR) in Danville, beside the old Goodyear plant there. Pics?

Oh man, this is nuts....

25. DaveHFulton

DaveHFulton

My dad saw a midget race or two at Richmond City Stadium. Iremember him saying the top cars ran Mercury Outboard engines. When I worked as Media Relations Director at Richmond International Raceway 1990-1999 I saw several programs from the City Stadium races that I copied and passed on to Chris Economaki.

26. jimmitchell70

jimmitchell70
    from CT

This is a good reason why the HAMB is so great!

27. Thumper

Thumper

BINGO ! Found another one !!......hell this is fun.

28. Surfref32

Surfref32

AFAIK, the Elto 4-60 [​IMG]was the only competitive outboard in a Midget. Also, There's a high probability the programs you gave Chris are here.... http://www.emmr.org/library.htm

29. DaveHFulton

DaveHFulton

Thanks for the info on the midget outboards.

30. Another big, modern facility has joined the ranks of Ghost Tracks. Southern National outside of Wilson, NC in the eastern part of the state has been dark for several years. It is to be auctioned off in a couple weeks by the bank that now owns the property.

http://theselmanews.com/southern-national-raceway-goes-on-auction-block-oct-p2055-74.htm

Here is the announcement for the auction:

http://www.johnsonproperties.com/auction-detail.cfm?auctionid=382

Step up to the plate, fellas, and buy yourself a racetrack.

[​IMG]