Register now to get rid of these ads!

'Origins of Speed' Roadsters

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jive-Bomber, Apr 28, 2010.

1. Jive-Bomber

Jive-Bomber

2. garth slater

garth slater
    from Melbourne

Ebay here I come

3. I have all of those :) Would love to build a real one. They are bad ass.

4. ha ha! My thought exactly.

5. garth slater

garth slater
    from Melbourne

just bought one for twenty bucks!

6. SUHRsc

SUHRsc

I've got them all... and then some.... repainted a few....
    I actually sort of copied them to build my roadster, then repainted one like my car...

they did a great job (except that the transmission is stuck in reverse :) )
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. millersgarage

millersgarage

I have many of them, and others I like. Sadly the whole die-cast scene died off, there hasn't been anything cool in many years.

I was angered when they came out with a line of cars from the movie Grease, that weren't the correct cars. The graphics for the Greased Lightning were on a 57 Chevy for craps sakes....

8. That is too cool - there is truth in hop up!

9. Bud

Bud
    from Orange, CA

Nice to see I am not the only one who appreciated these when they came out. I have the whole "lakes" set and the street set. GREAT detail.

10. kustomriv

kustomriv

I have all the V8 one's there is alot of detail for the money.

Tim

11. jguff

jguff

Is it just me or do the left bank headers look wrong on the yellow and the orange car? They are not the same as the right bank and they don't look right for the flathead.

Jerome

12. flamingokid

flamingokid

Good Diecast is like good Kustom,it'll all come back.

13. SUHRsc

SUHRsc

yep, they're way off... they had to make them go around the steering box, which actually works...

14. Cool post, but where's the 1:18 scale version of a '29 street roadster with a green passenger side door?

15. redlinetoys

redlinetoys
    from Midwest

I really love these cars and have several of them. Been watching ebay to finish my collection at a reasonable price. Thanks to your post, the prices will probably go higher now... Damn it!

16. Jive-Bomber

Jive-Bomber

Looks like I better start "customizing" my cars like SUHRsc.
    Where's that 'crap green' Testors paint??

17. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

I wanted to make a diorama of a B'ville parking area using them but no place to put it. They are the best representations of my dream cars. I have a few of the first ones but not all of them. Toys or parts? Not enough cash for everything.

18. Tommy's right...not enough $$ to do all the stuff we want. I have 4 of them, they are badass.

19. weez

weez

I have the tan lakes one. Took me a couple years to buy one, $50 is kinda steep. I wanted to do my car out of one, but I would have had to buy 3 to get all the parts! Shit, why am I not driving my roadster right now? Excuse me... (Flintstone running noise)

20. redlinetoys

redlinetoys
    from Midwest

Actually I have been able to find each of mine at various swap meets for less than $25 to $35 each. Seems die cast has gotten a little tougher to sell maybe, or maybe some guys were regionally overstocked. Regardless, these are great little cars.

21. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

I only have the 33b car but seeing them in that light makes m wish I had them all...or at least just the "59". Definitely the nicest Die cast I've seen.

22. autobilly

autobilly

See ya there!

23. Gaters

Gaters

I know I'd posted this in one of my first posts on the HAMB but I had to post this again because it's perfect for this post.

My roadster and my dad are forever related to these die casts. One of the images in the small book has my roadster with my dad standing next it at an El Mirage line up in 1947. It was running a 2-Port Riley at that time. The image is from Don Montgomery's Hot Rod in the Forties book. I purchased the die cast roadster not knowing the photo was inside.

This is the page from Hot Rods in the Forties.
    [​IMG]

Here is the shot in the Small booklet.
    [​IMG]

24. Gaters

Gaters

25. rriccardi

rriccardi
    from NY Metro

My buddy Joe Kelly does a free live show every Saturday at 7pm ET. Usually an hour long and he covers all kinds of diecast. Live chat too if you have questions. Here is the site: http://www.thecarroom.com/tv/ I know he has some of these on a shelf somewhere. I'm sure he'll be happy to give a history lesson.