Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Dean Jeffries' Mantaray!

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Ryan, Jan 12, 2009.

1. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

[​IMG]

If we're all talking about the red/pink Corvette in this picture, then it's not the X-Sonic. Ron Aguirre's X-Sonic was a '56 Corvette, the one in the picture is a '63-67.

I've seen pictures of this car. There are several angles shown in the Big Book of Barris. I think Barris' shop painted it but someone else did the bodywork and bubble. Hopefully someone can scan pictures and confirm.

2. Roman

Roman

Sorry I just don't get these cars - (the Mysterion, the Bandit, the Monkee mobile, the Munsters car etc) I'm old enough to remember them when they first appeared and thought they they were a bad idea then and still think they are a bad idea. To mention Dean Jeffries among the like of Pinninfarina etc. is just weird.

3. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Opinions are good man... I just completely disagree with you. In fact, so does Sergio Peninfarina... He's been quoted a number of times complimenting Dean among others.

4. metalshapes

metalshapes

He did?

Cool... That is awesome.

Yeah...cars like the Reactor, the Mantaray, and Jocko's 'liner belong in the same group as some of the Euro Coachbuilt cars are in, In My Opinion.

5. Those drum brakes are just beatiful!

6. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

The corvette was originally built by Darryl Starbird, it is called the cosma ray
    [​IMG]

7. Rikster

Rikster

The Silver three wheeler was also reworked by Barris... or perhaps built there as well. So far I have not found out any other info.
    But the car was repainted )or was the silver version later?) and know as the Gould Delta Coupe.

[​IMG]

Cosma Ray...

Scans by Fuzzy Fuerholzer

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Paul Kelly Scans

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 13, 2009
  8. Scrumpy

Scrumpy
    from NH93 Exit1

Thanks Rikster, that leaves the MantaRay as the only one he built. Even more amazing that he won with it. Bubbletop that is, I know he built a lot of the Hollywood vehicles.

Scrump

9. ago

ago
    from pgh. pa.

I remember reading about the Mantaray in Hot Rod magazine in the 60s, still have the issue. Those old HR mags were really filled with variety and the best mag of the era. They had all the tech and photos of the then current engines. I saw the Mantaray at the Petersen. I don't know what the mantaray is worth, but I bet that old Maserati chassis would bring a decent $.

Ago

10. 36C8

36C8

I remember this shot from the Mission Impossible series, where they were "trying" to convince their target that he'd been in a coma, all the way into the "1970's"! This is what he saw looking out of the window of his hospital room.

11. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

12. JEPPA

JEPPA

I think we don't hear enough about Dean Jeffries. Thanks.

13. stude_trucks

stude_trucks

Man, that is a crazy car story. $800 for the metal panels?! You can't get a rusted pile of crap for $800 anymore, let alone some kick ass hand fabbed panels.

And; 'Oh yeah, sure you can have those old Maserati's. I wasn't planning to do anything with them anyway.' WTF? Then toss the Formula 1 motors, if they had any, and drop a Ford 289 in there?

What the hell is the weirdest part of this story? Would be hard to actually figure that out.

I like the car, as well as the future type show cars in general and dig the wireframe mock-upshots too, they are cool.

14. I was talkin to Dean on the phone one day about 10-12 years ago and asked him about Barris {talkin about the monkeemobile} and his quote on barris was "Barris could fuck-up a rock in a sand pit!" I changed the subject at that point

15. madwagon56

madwagon56

when i was in cali a few years back i got to see the mantaray at peterson museum, boy what a honor to see it in person. i stood for an hour and just looked at it. glad we stopped by and got to see it.

16. 50Fraud

50Fraud

Peter Stacy was a classmate of mine at Art Center in the early '60s. He went on to work at Ford and elsewhere, and is a hell of a designer.

While Pete was at Art Center he drove a '58 or '59 Corvette; nice car. He wanted it repainted in a beautiful Lincoln purplish maroon, and took it to Jeffries for the work. They worked out some sort of barter deal, where Dean painted the Corvette and Pete did a bunch of design work on the Manta Ray. Pete says he designed the entire car, which I can believe given his level of talent. Uncredited, of course, as is often the case for consulting designers.

Just a historical side note.

17. Tom davison

Tom davison
    from Phoenix AZ

The styling of the car holds up so well to this day; it's timeless and classic. It was great to see it restored perfectly at the Peterson. They must really like it there; it's one of the few cars (maybe the only one) on display every time I've been there. Always in the same spot.

Anyone know who restored it? They even got the paint right.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2009
  18. Karrera

Karrera

Dean Jeffries still owns the Mantaray - its just on loan to the Petersen. I believe he did the restoration on the car. His flamed, chopped 33 Ford was up on the second floor of the museum two years ago when I visited it.

There is a new book on Dean Jeffries coming out in March. It's written by Tom Cotter, author of "Cobra in the Barn" and "Hemi in the Barn". It should be a great read.

19. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

They just moved it. It's now located right across the isle from where it was, in front of the "speed shop". Nothing is in it's old location. I'm thinking they just moved it for a short time to get something in or out of those large doors it was blocking.

Last Friday we stopped at Dean's shop to say hi. He just got a laptop and AOL dialup service. He's never heard of the HAMB but was flattered "we've" been talking about him. I showed him the posts about him and printed them for him to read later cuz I'm not sure he'd be able to find his way back to the HAMB. He's got no computer experience but really wants to learn. I showed him as much as I could in the short time we were there, even going so far as to register him on the HAMB.:D

I suggested to CrazyBackyardBuilder who lives close by that perhaps he could stop by from time to time and give Dean a computer lesson. If there is anyone else who would truely like to help out please stop by his shop for a visit and offer. He's a great guy and I can see it being a mutually benifical relationship.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 28, 2009
  20. Karrera

Karrera

I've been told that the Mantaray will be shipped to the Amelia Island Concours for an appearance in March. Dean is supposed to attend as part of a round table discussion that will be held Friday evening with a number of the other big names in customizing. So far the guest list is supposed to include Joe Bailon, Gene Winfield, Chip Foose, Bill Hines, Darryl Starbird and George Barris.

21. Bluto

Bluto
    Member Emeritus

Do you understand the history inside this car?

Not only from Dean who is a great guy.

But underneath this is a Maserati Grand Prix car driven by Prince Bira!

The engines for it were stored in a garage and sold by Dean's ex

Last I heard the engines were in the hands of Bob Rubin on Long Island

I am sure if the car is ever sold it will return to the race track.

I also think it's way too easy to 'Look back' on these types of cars without understanding what the motivation was at the time. All to easy!

If you saw this car when it was new and you were there it would have just been 'Really Cooooooool'!!!

Last edited: Jan 29, 2009
    kidcampbell71 likes this.
  22. I didn´t, but I still do!

23. jonzcustomshop

jonzcustomshop

I just saw it in action in a movie from 1964, called bikini beach. starring frankie avalon, and anette f.
    every time they drove it the bubble was up, so maybe a human dosent fit in the interior?
    the movie also has some good top fuel passes, and a run by tommy ivos 4 engine dragster.

Attached Files:

24. Joe T Creep

Joe T Creep
    Member Emeritus

Wow. Thats amazing work on that car and its always nice to see and read about history.

25. ChevyGirlRox

ChevyGirlRox
    from Ohio

It was great visiting Dean in his shop last week during my trip out for the GNRS. I had no idea how involved in Hollywood he's been-- building movie cars, wrangling cars, and even doing stunt work! What a cool guy!

[​IMG]

26. S.F.

S.F.

badass!

27. frank spittle

frank spittle

Dean Jeffries also played a part in drag racing history. He fabricated the rolled front and rear pans, radiused' the rear wheel wells, designed and sprayed the Candy Red/Blue paintwork on the '64 Dodge Chargers. It is some of his best work. Many drag racing historians trace the roots of the Funny Car class back to those cars. Tom Cotter told me last week about Custom Car builders being featured at Amelia Island this year. In addition to writing a book about Jeffries, Tom is co-chair at Amelia Island. I believe Jeffries is the most ignored of the great Custom builders. It is about time he receives the recognition he deserves both with his new book and the Amelia Island honor. I have always wanted to meet Dean and will be there to see him honored on Friday March 13th. Amelia Island has become the Pebble Beach of the east. If possible you should be there!

28. 6t5frlane

6t5frlane
    from New York

Potato Bug fit

29. Anybody have a better pic of the drawing?...

I'm getting some ideas for next year's Dad's Division at the Pinewood Derby...:D

[​IMG]

30. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

I just hate these non-HAMB cars... OHV motors, radials, fancy-pants sporty car mags, IFS and for heaven's sake, fiberglass of all things!

LOL. Gary