Register now to get rid of these ads!

America's Most Beautiful Roadster

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Jan 29, 2008.

1. This could be the "shot in the arm" that the indoor car shows need to bring in people and make it fun again.......anything I can do to help just say the word Boss !

2. Bob K

Bob K
    Member Emeritus
    from Antigo Wi.

OUTFUCKINGSTANDING IDEA!!!!!!!!!

I Love it.

B:DB

3. PeteFromTexas

PeteFromTexas

I love it! I'll be there next year for sure!

4. P38

P38
    from Brooklyn

I think that is a great idea. It seems as though it's about how much money you can spend and less to do with ingenuity and straight good taste. I'm bummed the Ala Cart didn't win.

And what about the people who spent millions on the cars that didn't win. You can't sell it, or drive it. The whole thing is a little insane.

5. flatjack

flatjack

Absolutely a great idea. Can't wait to see it carrried through. Jack

6. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

You're my kind of guy.
    Great idea. Not only does it recognize the correct car but also sends out a message to the judges. But of course if they are basing there points on aftermarket parts then they really won't care what the masses think.
    this will be fun! I like it. Some day before i take a dirt nap I am going to this show.

7. C-1-PW

C-1-PW

Yes!!!
    The power of the H.A.M.B

8. lesabre59

lesabre59

One more FUCK YEAH from Texas!!!!

9. With international participation on the Hamb, might have to go with World's Most Beautiful Roadster. Can't wait.
    Dan

10. notebooms

notebooms
    Alliance Member

i like it.

- you shouldnt be allowed vote unless you're there to see the cars in person. this internet "look at photos" stuff doesnt cut it.

- not sure if 10 nominated judges, or an overall hamb peoples choice makes more sense. either can work.

- big trophy, handed off between winners. like that idea. kinda like a heavyweight champ.

- cant see why the official show would have issue. it promotes them.

- yes, i saw a huge % of cars at the show that are heavy in the dollars and overdone categories-- but have identity crisis and lack soul. these cars are trophies (or gold chains-- only intended to show off & look flashy) enough...

good idea.

-scott noteboom

11. Roothawg

Roothawg

Sounds ok to me.

12. i like it.

the HAMB award. Honorably America's Most Beautiful (or something like that)

how about Honestly America's Most Beautiful???

13. Some very good points in the write up Ryan and I really dig the “I don’t ‘get tired’ of anything. Instead, I change what makes me tired.” quote. As a young lad I would say I grew up in the garage and "indoor" car shows of the late 70's- late 80's. We had the cars that were so pretty you couldn't touch. We showed them, won awards yada yada yada. This was what I knew of cars. Over the years the cars kept getting more over the top to the point of the cars cost more than our house.

Fast forward to about 5 years ago and I seen something beautiful happen. I was hanging out with my pops and seen some cool antique stuff I never have seen before? It wasn't a 70 chevy and there wasn't a small block chevy for miles? He had started dabbling in Model T's and more practical hot rods that didn't break the bank. He was obviously wanting to continue to play with hot rods, yet not the 50K ones that you would freak out if a finger print was on it. With that I became excited again and the chances of me actually getting into a hot rod looked more feasible than ever (you young couples with children know how hard that can be). With that the Krylon Special was birthed out of spare stuff laying around the shop along with many others that have made some sort of impact around the Midwest. No longer do we go to "show" them. We go to drive them and hang out with great friends while admiring other peoples work and craftsmanship.

So with that as a prelude to your original comment that stuck out to me “I don’t ‘get tired’ of anything. Instead, I change what makes me tired.” Fast forward to now and the indoor car show scene. Let's face it, I've watched the World of Wheels in Indy struggle for years as it's becoming repetitious and a very high dollar affair. So bring in a breath of fresh air with the 1962 Motorama coinciding with the World of Wheels. Finally a reason to get excited about the World of Wheels again in Indy. Thanks to John Cooper and the Road Rockets for thinking this same way of thought and taking that risk to change something that has made them tired as well.

Bravo guys!

I love your idea too Ryan about just an random HAMB award as well and thought my story fit into that way of thinking.

More info on the MotoRama here.

14. jim32

jim32
    1. Hamb & Eggs

We where thinking the same thing here in Chicago. There should be a way to honor people that build their own, as an artist, not just a contractor!
    If you need a judge I will be there at my own expence, and nobody in Calf. knows what I look like.

15. Tinman

Tinman
    from Orange, CA

Dan motherfuckin' Collins.

...oh, you meant for next year.

16. Tdreamer

Tdreamer

i fuckin love this place!!!!!!!!

17. SinisterCustom

SinisterCustom

Interesting idea......I kinda like it....

I'll be willing to bet the "winner" voted on by Hambers would still be a "bucks up" full on "chainer" ride however......just in a "traditional" flavor.......rare parts and the builder of said car seem to have more "star power" than the overall style/beauty of said car....even here in HAMBland.....

Why must "OUR" cars be judged anyway???????:confused:

18. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

Anything I can do to help out, I think it's a great idea.

Honestly America's Most Beautiful sounds best to me so far!

beats the hell out of the negativity towards this years winner. Momma always said "If you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all".

Grand Idea, Ryan!

19. 46highboypu

46highboypu

.....and you could call it the black roadster with tall skinny tires and steel wheels award.

20. DrJ

DrJ

I like the idea.
    The custom car club I usta belong to before a bunch of new people took over and raised the dues 500% usta give trophys at other people's shows for cars that best fit the criteria we considered for being club members.
    In other words the one that best fit the "wish that one was mine" criteria.

Didn't the Suede Palace have it's own award presentation?
    And there was A Blackie Gegian award etc. what I'm getting at is a HAMB type award might not be spurned by the promotors at all.
    And heaven knows, it might sell more tickets and they really need better attendance, I was actually able to move ten feet without getting body blocked in one area.... :rolleyes:

21. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Ryan, YOU are the man! Way to step forward and stomp on the toes of the fat cats! Do it, baby!

22. cruzr

cruzr

Sterling Idea !~!

Time to get back to the Beginning

Attached Files:

23. Church

Church
    from South Bay

The main reason I like the idea has nothing to do with the trophy, but rather acknowledging stellar roadsters (and builders) whose intention was never to win the AMBR. Just building a car to the best of their ability with a budget big or small. Maybe.........just maybe, the two winners will one day coincide.

Personally, I'd love for the award to be anonymous, just to appear one day with a letter of thanks and an atta boy.

24. Great idea boss.

As long as we don't steal the "AMBR" title itself for the award I don't see how they could stop us.

JH

25. Bluto

Bluto
    Member Emeritus

If you think the Show is dumb..... I do........ and the cars they pick are dumb...... I do...... DON'T GO ........ DON'T ENTER......DON'T SPEND YOUR MONEY!

Park in a local place together and have a burger and see the other guys stuff you like. With people you like

26. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

That's a grand idea with a lot of class. The HAMB award shouldn't ever be confused with any type of off the wall hype and glitter shit, which is what the current AMBR trophy seems to be about. Just an honest, sincere award to a well deserving winner. The values of the HAMB and the true hot rodding spirit will carry a ton of weight if this award is handed out properly.

27. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Smart... Honestly, I don't plan on titling the trophy at all - either with TJJ/HAMB or with an award title.

28. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

You must understand that this will probably not get the GNRS officiators from getting their heads out of their asses, if anything it will go further up that stinky orifice.
    I like the idea, but as far recent history goes, the right car won the AMR trophy.....nothing shocking there.

29. HHRdave

HHRdave
    BANNED
    from So Cal

I'm in with this idea from Church. We need to recognize one of our own, but maybe quietly do it as a way of saying "40,000 traditional hot rodders have recognized you with this award for craftsmanship, tradition, being grand, etc etc etc"

I'm thinking a nickle plated HAMB dash plaque with black etching and the year stamped on it.

30. FritzTownFord

FritzTownFord

I agree. Keep it low key - just have the award "show up" next to the winning car on Sunday morning. Might not get much attention the first year, but word will spread fast!

It may be corny, but when the Pharoahs invited a new member in, the first order on business was a club jacket. (see my earlier post)

course it's your caper, boss...