Register now to get rid of these ads!

Anyone beleive in marvel mystery oil

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by swaluda, Sep 1, 2013.

1. swaluda

swaluda
    from pa.

Does this stuff really work in GAS AND OIL. ALSO do you think it wouldn't be a good idea to add LUCAS TRANS CONDITIONER in my trans if my trans isn't really giving me problems. Just kind of wantin to maintain my trans as best as possible, I hear back flushin is a NO no, Thanks

2. barstowpo

barstowpo

I use it in my air tools.

3. Snot Rocket

Snot Rocket

It has a little bit of solvent in it, so putting it in anything should be done with caution. Mostly, MMO is a sales gimmick (Mystery!) that does a pretty good job of keeping things lubricated for short term use, like air tools. Like WD-40, it eventually dries up and you have to use more to get the same result.

As an oil or fuel additive, you can use it, but you might just as well set fire to the money you use to buy the can, since it really doesn't help in any significant manner.

4. I use it in all of my oil changes and in my fuel as well..

frenchy

5. M224SPEED

M224SPEED
    from Missouri

I have been using Marvel for over 40 years,use it in all 7 of my cars& 1 truck. In the crankcase 1 Qt. at every oil change and every other gas fill up 4 Ozs. to 10 Gal. gas,just follow the directions on the can.
    I pulled the engine on my 62 Impala 409 bought new.Marvel oil since day one 132,000 miles and the combustion chambers in the heads,and piston tops were clean as any I have seen with 20,000 on the clock. You will also have a little increase in power when added to the gas,very helpful in cold climate areas if you park your vehicle outside and you have Marvel in the oil.

6. Model T1

Model T1

I used it for years added to the gas in my old Harley panhead when riding fast and long trips. Otherwise the engine had a small clicking sound.
    Also good for freeing up old stuck engines.
    There are a lot of things that are a mystery to me!

7. I've used it in the past but the engines were high millage and it helps keep the plugs cleaner and helps with blow by.

Basically its 3/4 percent mineral spirits and 1/4 stoddard solvent ( a clear paraffin liquid ) and many years ago when it was invented I have been told it also contained lard.:rolleyes: HRP

8. jkeesey

jkeesey

I use it occasionally for freeing stuck engines but who knows whether its really helping or just adding to the process.

9. I too use it in my air tools.
    I dumped some I'm my Buick that I inherited from my aunt. Has a noisy something when first started.
    Ran the stuff in it for 2 days then changed it out for fesh oil and a filter.
    This Buick has only 32,000 miles but it's been sitting under the trees for 9 years and rarely driven.
    Noise is still there so I guess I didn't destroy anything (yet).
    A few people tell me timing chains do that rattle noise in Buick Century's and Regals.
    Maybe I need more than Mystery Oil to fix my Buick?.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2013
  10. Swifster

Swifster

I put nothing but oil in my engines. In the gas tank I put Chevron's Techron every 5000 miles. There are no 'mysteries' in my car.

11. mashed

mashed
    from 4077th

Was riding my old knucklehead one day and lost compression in a cylinder. Pulled the head and found the exhaust valve hung open.

Pulled it out, cleaned it, reinstalled the head, and ran a little Marvel Mystery Oil in the gas from then on (on a tip from my machinist).

Never happened again.

12. hombres ruin

hombres ruin

I started a thread on MMO and its relationship to preventative maintenance with flatheads and other engines

13. Model T1

Model T1

Yep! I carried it in a plastic baby bottle and added whatever Oz I was told each tank of gas. That's also when gas was 100 octane + real fuel. Seemed to keep our old bike runnin from 1965-1992 when I sold it to move to Florida.
    Bike was a 1950 HydraGlide Harley last of the tank shift no-cop bikes. We rode double all over the midwest and Blue Ridge. Full length of Miss. both sides. Twice. Started around Burlington, Ia north then back other side. Next trip we went south to N. O. and back other side.
    That stuff may have been a mystery but it worked.

14. 57countrysedan

57countrysedan
    from NY

Use it from time to time. Best fix with it (i guess thats wat ud call it) was with a new trailblazer. Customer was horrible with oil changes and the variable cam actuators gunked up and set all sorts or trouble codes and the truck ran like dog shit. Two oil changes with marvel and all is well!

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

15. My older brother was in the used car business. They used it a lot.

16. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ
    from NJ

Balanced and complex, this marvelous mysterious red is harmonious, even elegant,
    with a clear deep rich garnet color, a pleasant delicate bouquet and a curious lingering finish on the palate when siphoned. It pairs quite well with just about any gasoline and oil.

Jack E/NJ

17. The37Kid

The37Kid

There is a HAMB member whos uncle ran the company. Don't know if he was told what the mystery was. Bob

18. Ok is this a question of faith? Like in I am believing in something that I cannot see? :D

I have never really used marvel mystery oil in anything but I did know an old guy when I was young that used it when he was breaking on a new engine. He used it religiously which is why I am asking if this is a question of faith. ;) I do know this his engines always held together and he didn't do the suggested break in that was common back then.

If you use it in your fuel it is only going to be working as a top end lubricant, it will cushion your valves a little I suppose. A lot like bardahl fuel additive.

Bob,
    The mystery was that it would cure snake bite and lumbego and no one ever could figure out how it did it.

19. dan31

dan31

Good for long term motor storage ,stuck motors.

20. Was told by a really old guy that it was a combo of kerosene and ATF. Dunno if that is true...

21. Mike51Merc

Mike51Merc

It's kinda like Epsom Salts. Cures everything and nothing.

Doesn't matter to me though, I just like the smell of it.

22. pitman

pitman

Had a 265, w/15 years of water sitting in it. Soaked the cylinders for two-three days with MMO, and all the rust scrapped out easily. Left only clean, rarely pitted walls, and the original honing marks. The motor rebuilt from there. Ran great.

23. plym_46

plym_46
    from central NY

So mineral spirits, naptha, and coloring, what does it do??? Basically light oil and mineral spirits.............

Ingredient # 01
    Ingredient Name BENZENE, 1,2-DICHLORO-
    CAS Number 95501
    Percent 0
    Ingredient # 02
    Ingredient Name MINERAL SPIRITS
    CAS Number 8052413
    Percent 0
    Ingredient # 03
    Ingredient Name NAPTHENIC HYDROCARBONS
    CAS Number 64742525
    Percent 0

24. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

I use it as instructed on the bottle. I noticed that when I remove my valve covers for polishing, the insides are spotless and my valve springs are clean as can be. I almost don't have to wipe the covers down. Of course, I also change my oil religiously.

I use the recommended amount in my gas tank at every fill up. I once ran a gallon of by gas in an emergency and my carb was stumbling even after a fill up with good gas. I used the proper amount as instructed and about 10 miles later, no stumble and a smooth idle.

So, considering how cheap it is, it seems to be worth it.

25. Barn Find

Barn Find
    from Missouri

My dad swears by the stuff.

[​IMG]

26. That's hilarious! :D HRP

27. Dane

Dane
    from Soquel, CA

The mystery is how it keeps $ flying out of peoples wallets. :D

Quality oil already has the good stuff in it. No mystery.

28. BONNEVILLE BOB 95

BONNEVILLE BOB 95

I've used MM to un-stick engines before. Not sure of the other uses. As for the Lucas for trans, my tranny guy says no! on fresh a trans, but says to use Lucas engine oil additive/treatment. Bout a cap full ( 3-4oz.) when filling a fresh trans. Helps with fluid breakdown he says.

29. McGurk

McGurk
    from Mid West

swalud,

Marvel Mystery Oil is the 20th century Snake Oil. Over the years it has been credited for everything short of curing cancer. When a product has no extra ordinary properties then it is like pseudo pills. While the pill contains no medication people have been known to have positively reaction from taking the pseudo pill.

Technology in the 21st century makes it virtually impossible to have a secret formula. Marvel Mystery Oil is comprised of mineral spirits, 30 wt oil, red dye and oil of wintergreen. It does more for the user then it could ever do for the engine, but if it makes you feel good then use it.

McGurk

30. The37Kid

The37Kid

If so Steve could make English Muffins with butter trapping Nooks & Crannies just like Thomas' Bob