Register now to get rid of these ads!

Ford's "Magic Skyway" 1964

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jive-Bomber, Apr 23, 2010.

1. Jive-Bomber

Jive-Bomber

2. Cool stuff! and so futuristic!

3. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It was an experience an 11 year old boy will never forget, sitting in a brand new Galaxie convertible (like watching color TV, a really rare occurrence). Especially remember the dinosaur part of it, very cool.

4. CADILLAC AL

CADILLAC AL
    1. oHIo

Brerhair,
    I was 12 & my family (of 4) rode in a white Mustang. My dad hated the 'mini' car.
    Funny we spent a week at the fair & I only remember the big 3 car co. displays. I'll try to find the old pics.
    Thanks for the memory jolt Ryan.
    Al:cool:

5. LAROKE

LAROKE

My parents, brother and I rode it too but I can't remember the car we were in. Shame on me (I wuz a Ford man at the time).

6. Back when they used to sell dreams...cool stuff.

7. Gahrajmahal

Gahrajmahal

Now, thats what i'm talkin about!

8. Exactly, not plastic fucking nightmares.

9. Automotive Stud

Automotive Stud

I know it's OT but one of the Mustang convertibles was vin number 3 or something and was sold after the ride was taken down. The car is still around and still has brackets welded to the bottom of it.

10. Jobe

Jobe
    from Austin, Tx

That is so cool!

Instead of a car museum, someone should do this! get a ride around the building in the cars instead of walking around looking at them!

11. Cut55

Cut55
    from WA

[​IMG]

Evidence as to why Carroll Shelby referred to the Mustang as a "secretary's car." :D

12. injunjoes

injunjoes

that is the coolest thing i have seen in a while

13. Jake H.

Jake H.

Looks more like a "poon magnet" to me. I know what I would've bought new, back then, if I was a young man.

14. retro54

retro54
    from PA

Great things to see! As was mentioned with number 3.. I wonder where these cars are now? Were the all sold afterwards? I also wonder how worn out they were after all those folks rode the ride weeks on end?

15. Slim Pickens

Slim Pickens

As a 9 year old then, I was thrilled to the MAX. Great memory. My folks bought a Mustang in 66. Wish I still had that car. Thanks. Slim

16. Harms Way

Harms Way

Yeah,... being a recent teen-ager back then (The "Jet Age") , and all the futuristic stuff that was coming along,... along with all the movies we seen in School depicting a futuristic life by the year 2000,....... was a weird time,... Manned Rockets, the "Sputnik". Advances in technology coming daily,.....

It was a exciting and scary time and world back then. I was supposes be driving a space ship by now,.... My teachers lied to me,.....

But this is coooool.

17. froghawk

froghawk

I was 12 when my mom took my younger sister, little brother and me to the Fair with a church group on a chartered bus from S.E. pa. The '65s were the featured cars by then and we rode in a Park Lane convertible. From what I remember the silver concept for the fastback Charger was on display at the Chrysler exhibit. Those two cars and the Unisphere are the things I most clearly recall about the day.

At the time my mom and dad had just split up and he'd moved out to live with his mistress. I'm sure the last thing in the world my mom wanted to do was shepherd us kids around that fair...

18. RoadWarrior13

RoadWarrior13
    from Louisiana

I wish I could see the future cars section . I'd love to see what their designs were for what they thought today would be like

19. What do you think sells more cars, something like this, or 3 - 30 second commercials during the Superbowl...

I wonder if they still make the same margins, %-wise, as they did back then... and what the CEO made back then compare to sales... be interesting to find out.

20. LAROKE

LAROKE

I remember seeing a pickup (elkie/ranchero type) version of the Chrysler turbine car on display at the Chrysler exhibit with a beautiful white pearl paint job but, I've never seen or heard of it since so, I may have been halucinating.

21. Swifster

Swifster

Everyone is aware that this ride still exists at Disney World in Florida, right? What's left of it is the Tomorrowland Transit Authority.

22. Automotive Stud

Automotive Stud

23. joebuick

joebuick

wow thats one of the coolest promotional tools I've ever heard of

24. F&J

F&J

I got to ride in the drivers seat of a 64 Galaxie....As we were standing in line waiting to get a ride, we were counting the people in front of us to see if we would get a Mustang...no such luck.

You guys that rode on this...remember the car radio was the narration for the tour of the exibit?

25. shmoozo

shmoozo
    from Media, PA

Ah ... I was a young boy when that fair was going on. We didn't go, but some friends of the family did and years later I wound up with a small stack of of beer coasters they'd snagged from the Schaefer beer pavilion. On one side is the Schaefer beer logo and on the other is a picture of the "Schaefer Center" at the fair along with the words "Don't miss it", "Schaefer Center N.Y. World's Fair!" and "1964-65".

Apparently you could drop by the Schaefer Center for a few beers and then head over to the Ford Pavilion and slip in behind the wheel of a brand new Ford convertible for a relaxing "drive" around the building.

Ah ... those were the days.

:cool:

Gee ... now that I think about it, I wonder what those coasters might be worth today to collectors.

26. AnimalAin

AnimalAin

I was there on the big family vacation. Dad was a Ford dealer, so I thought it really cool.

27. Philbilly

Philbilly

That's awesome. I bet that was a cool site to see back then.

28. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Enough steel to raise a 22 story building? Thats incredible.

29. Jimv

Jimv

i got to ride in a blue mustang( wanted a red one) .I remember walking from my house to the bronx to get the subway then taking the subway to flushing meadows for the fair!
    Anyone rememeber the "amphicar' ride that drove down the boat ramp & around the lake there?
    JimV