Register now to get rid of these ads!

Coach Built & Lost

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Apr 22, 2008.

1. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

2. When I keep seeing post from way back of these and the designs that were out there it makes me wonder what Tucker would have came up with if he were to have continued and built something beside the family based car. Like maybe in the mid fifties>>>>.

3. Chaz

Chaz
    Member Emeritus

Not all of Tuckers designs were family cars. Here's one that never made it to assembly.
    These old streamlined cars are fascinating. They were designed with a heavy dose of Buck Rogers rather than wind tunnel testing. If you can only remember the times, these were truly futuristic. In hindsight they appear gawkish, but in their day.... Oh, wow

Attached Files:

4. dv8

dv8

I just met Geoff this past weekend...Nice guy, with a ton of cool, old, rare, and odd-ball cars! He seems to find the cars he is looking for as well!

5. mcload

mcload

Interesting cars, Geoff....clearly European design influenced. Wish I could help.

Chaz, are you inferring the car in the picture you posted was designed by Tucker?

Patrick McLoad

6. dv8

dv8

Chaz! Don't answer that! It's a trick! :)

7. Ryan. It seems like you have a great interest in the early road race cars. See if you can dig up anything on the two corvette chassis cars that Carroll Shelby sent to Scaglietti to be outfitted. The shit hit the fan and the project was dumped but the cars were to be finished and I never heard what happened to them>>>>.

8. autobilly

autobilly

Sorry Geoff, no leads on those 40's So. Cal. custom roadsters here.
    But, that Tucker hard top is something else, fantastic photo too. That guy (Tucker) was one way out kat!

9. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

I will show those two photos to my Dad tomorrow and see what he says about them.

10. pimpin paint

pimpin paint
    from so cal

Hey,

The two cars pictured sure have a Coachcraft coachbuilder vibe to
    them.....

Do you know who actually built them? Jimmy Summers didn't work
    in aluminum, did he?

Swankey Devils C.c.

"Meanwhile, back aboard The Tainted Pork"

11. pimpin paint

pimpin paint
    from so cal

Hey,

You're not talkin' about the Gary Laughlin Scaglietti bodied Corvettes,
    are ya? Scaglietti would build three of these before Enzo said" No
    Moe''!

Swankey devils C.C.

"Meanwhile, back aboard The Tainted pork"

12. I think those would be the ones. Shelby was at chevy trying to work a deal and the rug got yanked everything went in the toilet and here came A-C Bristol and Ford>>>>.

13. G. Hacker

G. Hacker

I'm still working out the history on the cars...they have been incorrectly identified with Coachcraft since the 1940's (confirmed this with Rudy's son, Bill last year). I'm assembling the full history for Ryan so he can publish on HAMB soon. I have articles about them as well, and now am trying to find out what happened in the 1950's and 1960's in their history. Thanks for your interest....Geoff

14. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

15. G. Hacker

G. Hacker

HotRodLadyCrsr...
    Thanks for showing the photos to your father. You're in Detroit, so he may remember something about the cars. Much appreciated..

Geoff

16. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

At the local cruz night last night I pulled up Ryan's blog to show Dad and a number of the older hot rod guys there and none of them recognized either of the cars. Dad made the comment that it would have been unusal for a car like that to be seen out and about since there were not car shows or cruz like events. The cars that they saw were the ones that were actually out racing on Woodward, Gratiot, Telegraph or Fort St. or hanging out at their local gas stations.

I'm going to print the photos and stuff and will ask both Bill Whetstone and this other older guy with the last name Bowman the next time I see them.

When I look at the ones with the awings on the houses/buildings, that reminds me of the type of "accessories" the houses and business have on the eastside of Detroit such as the Grosse Point area and that area is still one of the upscaled communities around here. The high scrubs and hint of a two story house also lead me to believe the Jefferson Ave area north of Detroit along the river.

17. G. Hacker

G. Hacker

Hi Denise..

Thanks for your follow-up and interest. I may place a picture ad in the Detroit newspapers soon with the same information. This might help too. Did you see the extra pictures I posted of the car? I think so, but not sure.

Also..thanks for taking the time to show to Bill and Bowman soon. Perhaps they will know more.

Thanks again for your help...

Geoff

18. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

I did see all the photos and so did the guys. I really love the last two AND the ones of him washing the car.

I'll tell you what, if you make up a one page "looking for info" flyer and send it to me, I will print it here at work and pass them out at the local cruz nights and car events. I hit at least a couple every week, along with lots of shows in the midwest and would be happy to help you find out more information.

I will also be attending a concourse type event at the Edsel Ford Estate (located on Jefferson Ave and the Detroit River) mid-June and while I can't pass out flyers there, I can certainly talk to people and show them the photos.

[email protected]

19. G. Hacker

G. Hacker

20. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

Got it, printed it, looks good. I'm heading to the RM Auction on Saturday, I'll start there.;)

21. G. Hacker

G. Hacker

THanks again Denise....G

22. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

Geoff, I hope your're sitting down for this, kinda too hard to believe and once again proves what a small hot rod world we live in.

Dad and I went to the RM auction this morning. Kinda Detroit's version of Barret Jackson. :D Lots of hot rod pals there. I had printed and brought with me a handful of the flyer you sent me. The THIRD pal I gave a flyer to looked at it and point to the bottom car and said I own that!:eek: I of course said "WHAT??!!?? are you serious??" He replied "yep, it's in my shop right now."

John's owned it for a number of years. He told me that in 1957 his pal in Westland (next town over from me) bought the car and had it till about 10 years ago when I think John said he bought it from him. He started talking non-stop about the car, telling me all about it blah, blah, blah. Anyway, his name is John Hall, he lives in Saginaw, owns Shadow Rods which is the company that is making those new bodies and flatheads motors. He is just as anxious to talk to you as you are to him. He's never been able to find anyone that had any info regarding the car. I wouldn't be surprised if he calls you tonight when he gets home.

Congrats Geoff! I'm thrilled for you and will continue to look for the owner of the other one.

Regards,
    Your Personal Private Eye, Denise :D

John Hall is the guy on the right
    [​IMG]

23. Scrumpy

Scrumpy
    from NH93 Exit1

This place amazes me, the knowledge and just stuff like this. Bump for Sunday morning viewers.

24. mazdaslam

mazdaslam

NO SHIT!!!:eek: Good job Denise!! How cool is this??!!

25. Harms Way

Harms Way

I left a message on Jon's phone about it this morning, but it looks like Denise beat me to it,.. I kept looking at that car every time I was over there at Jon's and as soon as I seen the post this morning it clicked,..... the car is blue now and in really nice restoreable condition. If I can find them, I will post some pictures of what it looks like now this evening.

26. G. Hacker

G. Hacker

Denise and others...

Thanks for the great news! Talk about finding information quickly...

Looking forward to talking to Jon...should be fun to help him fill in the gaps of history.

Very exciting news! I look forward to the pix..

Geoff

27. gooseta2

gooseta2

Hey all... I work for jon hall and here is the car right now....
    [​IMG]..
    I will take some more pics and get them on here a.s.a.p.
    I looked at that car 10,000 times and it never dawned on me when I first read this post.....

thanks goose

28. retarded

retarded
    BANNED

That's such a neat retro design.

29. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

I know Geoff is thrilled with the photo, but sweetie you need a new camera;):D

30. gooseta2

gooseta2

sorry that was taken with my nextel....I'll get better ones with my nikon........