Register now to get rid of these ads!

Lee Chapel / Tornado Speed Equipment ... definitive post??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Stovebolt, May 5, 2007.

1. Stovebolt

Stovebolt

Who out there in HAMB-land has info/pics on this guy, his Speed Shops, and the 3 port head he made for the Chev 4, The Wedge OHV he did for the flathead, and the dress-up stuff he did for the Stovebolt 6?

He seems to have slipped thru the cracks, and is certainly deserved of some ink.

Thanks in advance.

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  2. This is a Subject that I have a great deal of interest in due to Lee modifying (or casting?) Olds/Chev 3 ports but I have not been able to find much info, Sept '53 HRM has a 4 page article on the Tornado streamliner & the Dec '49 Mechanix Illustrated ran a article as well (though I don't have a copy).

If anyone has any info please post as I too would appreciate learning more about this forgotten Hot Rod icon, who in my opinion is up there with the likes of Vic Edelbrock, Wally Parks etc.

I think The Tornado Streamliner is the best streamliner ever built, does anyone know what happened to it?
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2014
  3. Stovebolt

Stovebolt

Looks like it only us Aussies who are into this stuff!!! ;)

4. banzaitoyota

banzaitoyota

5. kidcampbell71 likes this.
  6. 50Fraud

50Fraud

There is still a "Famous Lee's Auto Parts" in Alameda, which is next door to Oakland. I have wondered if it is the descendant of the old speed shop.

7. Stovebolt

Stovebolt

8. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

We had a Tornado OHV setup at Specialized Auto Parts in Houston during the 60s-70s. Don't recall who bought it.

9. About time this post got a bump.

I did this a while back
    [​IMG]

& was able to buy a copy of the catalogue
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I need to scan the other half when I get more time.

kadillackid and kidcampbell71 like this.
  10. Stovebolt

Stovebolt

Thnx Jamie, that was great. I can't wait to get my tornado side plate for the stovebolt 6.

11. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

I've always wondered who owns that brand now... There must be a 20 "Lee's Speed Shops" through out the country, but I've never been able to find out who owns the original.

12. No worries Mark. wait to I post the Stovebolt section!:D :D I need to scan it first though.

Hey Ryan, maybe the name doesn't have ownership? Lee Chapel's was located in Oakland so possibly the shop 50Fraud mentioned is it's ancestor. Also there is a seller on ebay that sells shirts with the Tornado logo & Lee's Speed Shop logos, so maybe free domain.

I was outbid on a pith helmet with Lee’s Speed Shop / Tornado Speed equip sign writing that was from B'ville 1953
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

kidcampbell71 and EVL401 like this.
  13. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

btt... great post...

14. hlfuzzball

hlfuzzball
    from Michigan

I seem to remember reading somewhere long in the past that the V8 Tornado Head pkg. was designed and developed by someone other than Lee Chappel. (That he bought the rights, or somehow took over the production and distribution.)

I may be wrong, but I find it hard to believe that Chappel could have carried out this project by himself. No doubt, like all major engineering projects ,there were one or more "Unknown Brains" that actually did the grunt work in the shaddows, and one guy got all the credit.

15. .....& the wait is over, today I had the chance to scan the rest of the catalogue, so here it is.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

16. Stovebolt

Stovebolt

Ah Jimmy - you've done it again.:D

The Tornado side cover that is currently available as a limited production number suits a 235, and is different to the one for the 216/early 235. I wonder if another one was developed???

Thanks mate.:)

17. No worries Mark!

The market for a 216/early 235 side plate probably isn't there these days so wasn't worth the development/casting cost.

Anyone else have any photos or info to add? or has anyone seen a set of Tornado heads on a flathead lately, got any pics?

Cheers
    Jimmy

18. cuznbrucie

cuznbrucie

Thank you for the spectacular scans of this historic catalog!! Much appreciated......

Brucie

19. Wasahawaiianrat

Wasahawaiianrat

available from who?

and bump

20. Stovebolt

Stovebolt

If I told you that - I'd have to kill you :D :D ;)

I'll save you the trouble as the guy who has the original Tornado pattern doesn't want to do any more for a while.

If and when he does - I'll post it here.

sorry to get your hopes up, I posted the info, then found out about his reluctance to feed the market later.

21. What a great thread, i missed this the first time. Thanks Stovebolt and JimmyB, those catalogs are treasures like gold.:eek:

22. PeteFromTexas

PeteFromTexas

Those old catalogs are amazing. Thanks for posting them!

23. Scrumpy

Scrumpy
    from NH93 Exit1

Out of curiosity, is anyone here on the HAMB running any speed parts from Lee’s or more specifically Tornado parts? Seems like some pretty cool parts but this is the first I have seen them.

Scrumpy

24. I bid on this pith as well. Somebody really wanted it as it went for over $300.00

25. Rand Man

Rand Man

Man, would I like to have a set of those Tornado heads. I always like to look at old catalogues, with the old type-setting and art paste-up.

26. sixinarowjoe

sixinarowjoe
    from eastcoast

there is a tornado sidecover for the 216 on ebay ,seller also has an edmunds rockercover,aand intake --- search edmunds

27. Angry Frenchman

Angry Frenchman

Best catalog I ever seen, And the prices are awsome! lol Thanks for sharing it.

28. brianf

brianf

This is the truth. I know the guy that bought the whole contents of Lee's speed shop when he died. Most everything he had has been sold off, but what led me to know this information was a cut in half aluminum flathead intake manifold with the name Tornado on it. When I saw this half intake manifold hanging up in this particularly senior hotrodder's machine shop/2 car garage, I asked him about it. This is the story that I got.
    Lee was the first guy to own a speedshop in Northern California. His first years were successful, and we all know he also made his own speed equipment. Then along came a guy name Vic Hubbard. Vic Hubbard had a habit of buying large quantities and selling at discount and half-price. Lee was not in the habit of doing this as he figured you get what you pay for, and fair is fair. With Vic selling stuff half price down in Hayward, (just south of Oakland where Lee was)Lee ended up getting customers in his shop wanting stuff for half price too. So as soon as Lee saw this half-price trend starting he knew what he needed to do. The next time any customer came in and asked for something at half price Lee would point up at the Tornado manifold that he milled in half and tell the customer that that was the half price section of the shop. That is the manifold that I saw not even a month ago, and that is how I learned who Lee Chapel is.

stanlow69 likes this.

29. Yes....l'd like to know....

oops....just finished reading and realized what has been said about the side covers....