Register now to get rid of these ads!

small block chevy oil leak

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by mysteryman, May 5, 2012.

1. mysteryman

mysteryman
    from atlanta

i have a 350 leaking oil down the back of the motor(mainly passenger side) dripping on header.ive looked and cant see where its coming from.its loosing about 2 quarts on a 50 mile run and killing all the bugs in the air.valve covers look good.any suggestions.

2. how do you know the valve cover gasket is good? does it have a mechanical oil pressure gage? if it does, check for a leak that could be shooting over to that side.
    clean the block and use a paper towel to find the oil by slowly wiping down the back of engine till you hit the oil. i'm betting valve cover. if the covers a tin you need spreaders.

3. oil pressure switch?

4. BISHOP

BISHOP

Clean the engine, then dust it with flour, look for the yellow......you will see where the leak is originating from.

2 quarts every 50 miles is alot of oil, the leak wont be hard to find.

5. 2qts ever 50 is damn near a gussher.
    I'll bet its the rear lower corner of the valve cover. There's a huge amount of oil there that's not under pressure.

I had a set from a new crate motor that wouldn't seal - cheap Asian stamping. Grabbed a early 80s vintage set and no problems. Took me several sets of gaskets, and a lot of aggravation to stop it.

6. Lobucrod

Lobucrod
    Alliance Vendor
    from Texas

Might be coming from the back of the intake. Original rubber seals that are supplied with gasket set are bad about splitting and working out. If you do replace it clean the area real good and put a 1/4" bead of silicone across the back and front rails instead of the rubber gaskets.

7. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

If you can't tell where 2 qts in 50 miles is coming from, I'd suggest you need your eyes tested. That should be very apparent sitting in a garage. We can't see the problem source so you have to use your own eyes. Good luck It can't be hard to find.

8. BigDrag

BigDrag
    from Milwaukee

This may sound really dumb but have you checked the oil filter?

9. TxRat

TxRat

I was going to suggest this. Damn good advice...

10. That almost sounds like a fat chick joke I heard way back.:eek:

11. BISHOP

BISHOP

I guess flour would work on a fat chick too.

12. Dirty2

Dirty2

Have you changed the intake ? Could be out of the rear of the intake . I don't think it would be the oil filter , oil filter is on the drivers side .

13. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'd run it down to the car wash and wash the whole engine compartment and all of the chassis around the engine you can reach real good and by the time you get back home you should easily be able to tell where the oil is leaking.

Two quarts in 50 miles should be leaving a trail of oil down the street.

Valve cover gaskets, end rail gasket on the manifold, Oil filter (including extra gasket stuck on block) Oil pressure switch, rear main seal, front main seal. One or more, take your pick.

14. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

If you say the valve covers don't look like the culprit, my first thought is the end seal on the intake. You should be able to put a clean hand back there and feel and see where it starts. 2 quarts in 50 miles is a serious leak. Also, an inspection mirror might help.

Don

15. mashed

mashed
    from 4077th

Replace your valve cover gaskets. Stop this insect carnage .

16. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

Uhh guys , a sbc oil filter is on the driver's side...
    dave

17. BigDrag

BigDrag
    from Milwaukee

I did warn you, this may sound dumb..........but I would still check the filter before taking off the manifold.

18. 19blockhead72

19blockhead72

Hot rods are supposed to leak oil aren't they? I guess that much could be a problem. Looks like everybody has the main problem areas covered, good luck.

19. That much oil I would check the oil pressure fitting at the back of the block. That much has to be coming out under pressure. Just my opinion.

20. greaseyknight

greaseyknight
    from Burley WA

Also check to make sure the valve cover isn't warped

21. davidbistolas

davidbistolas

And be sure the oil pressure switch is properly seated.

22. junk yard kid

junk yard kid

The back corner of the head can leak out oil where the drain is at the block. But i dont know how it would get on the header, mine covered the starter.

23. mysteryman

mysteryman
    from atlanta

sorry it took so long to respond findings but with work and home projects i got side tracked.it was the intake gasket,when the builder put it together he used what appeared to be a hardening sealer and also didnt put enough to seal corners

24. barcode

barcode
    from fort knox

are you talking about the intake as in intake manifold? that can leak oil?

25. racer67x

racer67x

lol..

< shakes head >

26. barcode

barcode
    from fort knox

well im new to cars so thanks for the help jackass.

27. barcode

barcode
    from fort knox

ok so if the distributor is too close to the firewall to pull out, can i use an engine hoist and move the engine forward a little? is there neough play on the drive shaft etc?

28. barcode

barcode
    from fort knox