Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects which one should I use, edelbrock C4B or GM winters intake???

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by clockwork31, Feb 27, 2012.

?
  1. Edelbrock C4B

30 vote(s)
    48.4%
  2. GM winter flake 3972116

32 vote(s)
    51.6%
  1. clockwork31

clockwork31

I have two intake manifolds, a 1960s Edelbrock C4B and a GM winters "snowflake" 3972116 (service replacement for the 3972110 1970 LT1 aluminium intake)

I'm gonna use a 1406 Edelbrock 600 carb and the engine is a 1962 327 sbc 300hp.

This is for my 31 model A so what do you think? C4B or GM winters???

...I know, tri-power :p:p:p

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 28, 2012
    1Nimrod likes this.
  2. Shaggy

Shaggy
    from Sultan, WA

I'd run either, but i'd junk the edelbrock and go with something traditional, but thats me, the holley 4bbl came out in '57

3. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The Carter AFB came out in 1957, too.

4. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

I'd use the original GM unit. There will be a few of us old farts that will recognize it. They may talk to you about it. I don't know anybody that gets nostalgic over an Edelbrock 4 bbl intake.:D

5. nowaxn5

nowaxn5

Good question! I'm in a similar situation but it will be under a hood out of sight. Which is more reliable?

1Nimrod likes this.
  6. The GM looks a little taller, assuming it works OK with the Edelbrock carb, I'd use the Edelbrock carb. Your model A is really alright!

7. I'd use the Winters just because it's not common

8. clockwork31

clockwork31

You are right about that cause nobody around knows what i'm talking about when I mention Edelbrock C4B but in fact the C4B is from the middle of the 60s and the GM winters is 1970.

thanks for your help!

1Nimrod likes this.
  9. Snowflake all the way. Not nearly as many of those running around anymore.

10. clockwork31

clockwork31

it is a little taller, appearently this Gm intake was design to use with Holley carb only. I still try to find why, if someone know the answer let me know.

thanks for your help!

1Nimrod likes this.
  11. HEATHEN

HEATHEN
    from SIDNEY, NY

The C4B's got some hot rod history behind it; it was released in '62, and was the first aftermarket performance intake for the sbc for a single 4 bbl. It's not like you're running a Performer intake on it.

48fordnut, 1Nimrod and Moriarity like this.
  12. i vote c4b i for some reason have a strange addiction to them i am actually gone run an n.o.s. c3b on my car.

48fordnut and 1Nimrod like this.
  13. percifab

percifab
    from Dixon,CA

14. It's one thing to stick with traditional and another for a reliable ride, sometimes!

15. slammed

slammed

The Winters will give that pulled from a stocker back when look. The C4B was dynoed recently and put up great numbers against the new stuff.

48fordnut and 1Nimrod like this.
  16. Whichever you pick, I'll take the other one......seriously!

PM me!

1Nimrod likes this.
  17. clockwork31

clockwork31

haha! I have a 2 engines so the one I won't use for the 327 will end up on the 350, I'll let you know if I change my mind.

1Nimrod likes this.
  18. 48fordnut

48fordnut
    Member Emeritus

The edelbrock may have to have the runner next to the dist ground down if you are using a hei dist.

1Nimrod likes this.
  19. HEI? Holy Shit Man, they stand out like a turd in the pudding! Only a non HAMB build would incorporate a 1975 and newer tech! Are they good, heck yeah! Reliable and cheap, but for the love of PRE 1965 Builds, they make a vintage build look like some cheap ass tight bastards answer to ignition systems! Most folks will hurl thier lunch on your car when spotted, so if you are running one, please keep your hood shut to advoid this! :D Or keep your Easy Go in front of the car as tp space thier vile away from the engine bay...... HEI, you guys are funny!

Saxman and Moriarity like this.
  20. pat the car looks good. I like the GM intake it looks cleaner, use a carb adapter and your carb.

21. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

Uh, did you notice this thread is almost two years old ? I think he has probably made up his mind by now.

Don

22. 66tintop

66tintop
    from Canada

I'd sell the winters intake and use the edelbrock intake , the edelbrock carb , I'd sell it to, buy a new holley type carb (quick fuel ) and I would never ever use a carb adapter ! You can get good money for the winters intake and buy the good carb ! Just my opinion

23. Larry T

Larry T

You need a carb adaptor to go from Holley to AFB style?

BTW, I've seen people grind through to the port trying to get enough clearance to run HEI, not that the OP was planning on running one.

24. M224SPEED

M224SPEED
    from Missouri

G.M. with the Winters foundry mark for sure............Edelbrocks are everywhere !!

25. wingman9

wingman9
    from left coast

Looks like nobody is reading the salient points of this thread except you, Don.

26. 39 Ford

39 Ford

If you have to run an Edelbrock carb take 30 seconds and remove the RED tag.

27. I have ran both Intakes and in my opinion the Edelbrock is more period correct for the early build but I think the Winters builds better power, they may be built very similar but I always feel the Winters intake pulled better. Which ever one you choose the other is well worth keeping just because if you want one again they are both getting hard to find. Just my 2 Cents.

1Nimrod likes this.
  28. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

both good but I would prefer the winters-getting harder to find now

29. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Three year old thread, I wonder which one he chose?

30. pdq67

pdq67

Slammed posted back in 2012 that the old C4B was dyno'd against newer intakes and did well.

Slammed or anybody else know where this information can be found?

I have been looking for information on Holley's 300-36, Weiand's 8016 Stealth, and E-Brock's C4B and haven't turned much up.

"Grumpyvette" over on Chevy Talk has a great big bunch of info, but not really what I am looking for unless I just haven't looked through it close enough.

Thanks,

pdq67

1Nimrod likes this.