Register now to get rid of these ads!

60's FED enters the shop!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by kisam, Jan 26, 2012.

1. kisam

kisam

Did you boys really think I was going to let you have all the fun???:)

Well I have had the fever for a while now (thanks Skotz!) and have been looking for a good frame. I was just about to order one when I stumbled onto this 150". I thought it was just the frame but most of the goodies were still with it. This thing was pulled from the rafter's 20 years ago and has sat in a garage since. It ran a 413 Max Wedge - I'm pretty sure it was fuel injected by the Moon Tank set up.

[​IMG]

I think it is chrome molly but I'm not sure how to tell - but it is very light. The frame construction is very similar to what Garlits was doing in 63-64.

[​IMG]

Original hand brake and Fenton adapter (in/out box)? I think the steering column is a Ross and is missing the box but I have one that I think will work.
    [​IMG]

Early? Olds with 3.64 gears - now wait - that will be perfect for what I am going to do!

[​IMG]

Home made reversed rims - just like Tuffy's. Anglia spindles

[​IMG]

Ya gotta love that 60's paint job. I can tell that at one time the frame was blue.

[​IMG]

I'll post more pic's tomorrow of the rest of the parts. This owner thought it ran around Houston/Austin area - does anyone recognize it?

And as The King Of Texas - Norm said "Oh brother, congratulations you are the now the caretaker of another survivor". Somehow, I don't feel the pressure on this one.

2. Very cool, congrats!!!

3. metalman

metalman

Cool find, good stuff there. Gotta say even by 60's/ early 70's standards that paint job was ugly, least IMHO!

4. dragsled

dragsled
    from Panama IA

That's a great find , Cool looking car , Let me know what your looking for and I'll keep an eye out [email protected] Tim jones

5. Where the hell do you come up with this stuff?
    I would love to have that ;)

6. afaulk

afaulk

That looks like a well engineered chassis. I'd bet my false teeth its moly. It looks like a really good start. These cars are so simple! If you had all the parts in one pile, 2 guys could put that thing together in a few hrs. YOU DONE BIG!!

7. pecker head

pecker head

I DIG ! Whats the history ?

8. HOT ROD BILL

HOT ROD BILL

What about 2 girls? Nice find, DOTD only a few months away.

9. could have come from Ed's shop in Arlington....

10. Noland

Noland

wow that looks like an awesome project. I know it will turn out good

11. jfrolka

jfrolka

Great find!!!! Are you gonna put a wedge motor back in or re do the mounts for something else?

I dont know about that blue upholstered steel tho, is there a aluminum can holding the upholstery or is it a glass bucket?

Theres a couple cool cacklefest restos going on with riceman and syndicate right now... may want to follow their threads for ideas and questions.

12. senior fried

senior fried

I was thinking the same thing, way cool !!!

13. GaryB

GaryB
    from Reno,nv

cool start Kisam,what engine you putting in it?

14. Looks like its gonna be fun!

15. kisam

kisam

Thanks Kerry - big fan of your FED

Thinks they were smoking when they painted it??;)

Thanks Tim, I've been watching your build

Gary, You have to ask the fat man in the red suit and you have to be on the "Good List" - naughty boy!

Slicks came in yesterday. As soon as I get a day off "it's on"!

If I understand it right - I am the fourth owner. Third owner said second owner is still in touch with the man that raced it, so I am working on it.

Funny Bill. Skotz built one in 6 months.:rolleyes:

Ed Mabry? Now that would be cool!

Thanks!

No wedge at this point - in the spirit of Collin Casey it will be a flathead. Of course it will have a blower. The bucket is glass. I've been following Ricemans thread - he is a ruler.

Someone has to play with Skotz!

Flathead Gary!

Fun is what I am looking for at this point. Plus I want to see how fast I can make a flathead go.:)

I'll try to get pictures before work this evening.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2012
  16. lrs30

lrs30
    from Kentucky

Try eastcoast57 (TYLER HILTON, Hilton Family Racing)on here, the guy has a vast knowledge of FED's He might be able to help

17. Very cool find! Looks pretty complete too. Good luck and post more pix as it goes together.

18. RAY With

RAY With

Wow that's one great project you have there.

19. dragsled

dragsled
    from Panama IA

Glad to hear its another flathead car, There's a few other flattie dragsters on here and a shitload of flathead knowhow, Talk to you later Tim Jones

20. 1968FED

1968FED
    from Goddard KS

Very cool! Now you have to bring this one to San Antonio, we will be there in May and October. Hope to see you there!

21. Church Key

Church Key

That definetly looks like a Garlits Chassis. Contact Big Daddy, he made chassis for many different people, maybe he kept records.

22. das858

das858

Looks like you hit the jackpot, that is my idea of living the dream.

23. Nitro crew chief

Nitro crew chief
    from Illinois

I'm not to sure it's Garlits car, the front hoop on the roll cage would have gone all the way to the bottom frame rail on a Garlits car (someone can correct me if I'm wrong). I do agree though, Big Daddy will tell you exactly what to look for, or you could send pics and he could tell you. Great find regardless of who built the car, maybe I should take it off you hands. :rolleyes: I hope you don't plan on changing the roll cage to be legal, that is too nice of a chassis to do that to, restore it to original and cackle it.

24. kisam

kisam

Thanks Ray!

The OT at work should stop in April = so hoping I can make some more events!

I agree with you - the hoop being broken was different and top to bottom rail bracing on mine all go the same way. Garlits alternated. No, I'm not going to change anything to be legal. Nostalgic events are my focus.

Ok so here's some more pics for you guys.

Smoke Em If You Got'm

[​IMG]

Cleaned some of the dirt off the skins - my friend Luis said "That's so ugly" and it didn't even hurt my feelings! LOL I kinda like it.

[​IMG]

Old Simpson drag shut is still there

[​IMG]

Original blue seat with old military seat belt still all there (Seat belt matches Tuffy's - kinda weird)

[​IMG]

Got the rear end in - that's a pain to do by yourself. You can see some of the original blue on the frame. Forgot to get close up of wheels but they were painted silver

[​IMG]

I have seen someone's thread with the same steering column. I think it's Ross but can someone id it?

[​IMG]

Someone mentioned engine mounts earlier. Wow, is this the way it was?? It scares the crap out of me. On an up note, it is adjustable:).

[​IMG]

Passenger side has no mount = guess you just let the engine torque over!

[​IMG]

Moon tank - looks like fuel injection

[​IMG]

Still trying to hold air

[​IMG]

Keep it simple - tried to get a pic of the little fulcrum that was built for throttle

[​IMG]

Fenton part for in/out? Anybody
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Forgot pic of coolest part - I got the Simpson mask and gloves!

25. If you are interested in vintage Airheart rear disc brakes.I may be able to help you out

26. Church Key

Church Key

[​IMG] Here are a couple of pictures of Swamp Rat 6. Notice the use of a bucket seat, most other builders of this time were using formed aluminum seats. The frame does not taper very much either just like your photos. SR6 was built in 1964, and Art Malones car was built the same year. The building style are the same yet there are a few differences.

27. kisam

kisam

Wow Church Key that made me start thinking and I started digging. Garlits built at least one frame without the front hoop extending to bottom rail -Bobby Langley's '63 Scorpion - Here is a pic I found of his frame. And see those aluminum straps below the seat area - mine has them too. Did everyone do that or was it just Garlits? That would mean = Connie Swingle
    Here's a link to the rebuild of Scorpion
    http://cacklefest.com/Scorpion.shtml

<CENTER>[SIZE=-1][​IMG][/SIZE]</CENTER>
    [SIZE=-1]The very used Scorpion V, a Garlits 1963 chassis, after it was stripped. The chassis had many badly welded additions and about one thousand pop rivet holes.[/SIZE]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 28, 2012
  28. afaulk

afaulk

Re. the engine mounts. I used to have a Dodge Charger funny, with engine mounts consisting of tabs and saddles like that. They're good for at least 6.20 and 230 mph LOL. Nowadays i have tabs welded on the frame.

29. afaulk

afaulk

:eek:Re. the engine mounts. I used to have a Dodge Charger funny, with engine mounts consisting of tabs and saddles like that. They're good for at least 6.20 and 230 mph LOL. Nowadays i have tabs welded on the frame.

30. afaulk

afaulk

Duhhh,,,,, sorry about that dunno what happened