Register now to get rid of these ads!

Vintage shots from days gone by!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Dog427435, Dec 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

This picture is beautiful.

2. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

Yo, Mazooma! Didn't your mom warn you that yer face cud FREEZE like that? Nyuk, nyuk.

3. Flatheadguy

Flatheadguy

A photo of Earl and Paula Cherry. Paula, a very gutsy girl. While touring the airshow circuit back in the 80s, there was a TV reporter who claimed, on his evening TV show, that what what she didn't seem terribly dangerous. After all, she was belted onto a pylon on top of the wing.
    So, Earl offered to have him come out to the airport and go for a flight.
    He agreed.
    Next day, the crew assembled, the reporter climbed up on top of the wing and was strapped in. He had two cables with rings attached. These were hand holds for him. Earl told the reporter that if he wanted to stop the flight, he should let go of one of the rings and give him a "thumbs down" and the flight would terminate as soon as possible.
    Off they went.
    With no negative signal from above Earl did a few steep turns....2 Gs, No signal. So he enhanced the acrobatics a bit. Still no signal. He upped the game with rolls and loops. A few more Gs.
    After a fifteen or so minute flight, they landed.
    That was when everyone noticed that there was no movement from the reporter. The crew climbed up and the guy was totally frozen in place. They had to literally pry his fingers from the rings and then carry him down from the wing. He couldn't walk, coundn't talk. Paramedics had to revive him. He was a total basketcase.
    Upon reviewing the video of him up there one could see that as soon as the take off started, his little finger was straight out from his fist and that was as much as he could do to indicate...STOP!!
    I do not know if he ever apologized to Paula, especially on TV, but I think he had a particularly intense moment of revelation.

View attachment 1156819

4. 40 & 61 Fords

40 & 61 Fords

It was actually Ricardo Venezula that got the seat.....AKA Ritchie Valens!

5. noboD

noboD

Wasn't he Walter Brennan's son in The Real Mccoys too?

6. rogmoseley

rogmoseley

Looks like a BSA, limey by any name, they were great.

7. twin6

twin6
    from Vermont

Tell these guys (and they didn't live in California)!

8. twin6

twin6
    from Vermont

Air Force Academy, 1969.

9. T-Head

T-Head
    from Paradise.

Twin6......... They must be hearty Yankees like us.......

10. Finn Jensen

Finn Jensen
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If I recall correctly, it was 1988. I think Henry Haigh was in his mid-60s at the time. A remarkable accomplishment.

11. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

found another "playing Army" photo from 1959, I was 8. The neighbors tree fell down so we were marching on the trunk and using the downed carob tree as a fort. I'm the dork on the right. The open garage across the street shows Mr. Laderly's late 40's Ford coupe. You can see my sister's camera on the curb. We both had Kodaks that took 127 film.

[​IMG]

Your memory is a marvelous gift. For some reason, I remember earlier this same day, dad took us kids and the neighborhood kids to a matinee at the theater in Monrovia to see the 1940 classic, "Northwest Passage" with Spencer Tracy and Robert Young.
    You guys need to rent this movie. It's really terrific.

[​IMG]

12. 29AVEE8

29AVEE8

13. Beach Bum

Beach Bum

Parry Thomas' "Babs" land speed record car. Thomas was killed during a record attempt at Pendine Sands in Wales when the drive chain broke and the end whipped around and hit him in the head. The car was buried near the site of the accident. That looks like a hole next to it in the photo. The car was dug up in the late '60s and eventually restored.

Kurt O.

14. Hey I was also 8 in '59 and we had a company of dorky troops too! Looks like we could've been a 'band of brothers', had we been in the same neighborhood. Lucky you, you got pictures of you expeditions. Unfortunately we have no pics of our occupations, only good memories. Thanks for sharing.

15. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

Hey now, Zoom's face might have frozen for a little while, but at least three
    of the young fellas in this pic SEEM to be trying to keep "the boys" warm. LOL

[​IMG]

16. 1957Custom

1957Custom
    from Tulsa Ok

That looks like the Onion Roll Deli in Detroit

17. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

Man, I only saw the movie once, but it made quite an impression on me -- especially about "rangers" needing to depend on eachother. I can still remember feeling hungry when the were all starving during their mission. Funny how a movie can positively affect youngsters moreso than adults, IMHO.

[​IMG]

18. twin6

twin6
    from Vermont

Mazooma, your photos and memories, shared with all on the HAMB, are great gifts. This summer, I took my son to Ft. Ticonderoga along with a friend of mine who is a living history book on the military history related to the fort. That's when I learned that Robert Rogers was a brilliant military figure, and to this day his tactics are the foundation for the modern tactics used by the US Army rangers. Talk about living history - sorry a bit OT, but I think worth pointing out given the number of veterans who frequent this thread.

19. twin6

twin6
    from Vermont

Mercury in the midday sun, with NJ plate. Year?

20. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

We did this too, only starting with the civil-war centennial runup in '59. A load of precious memories, and even life lessons about the value of discipline and planning!

The G-D bite TODAY is, if kids carried toy guns in this way, someone would call the cops and haul their Red Ball Jets in until their parents got there. Straight up!

[​IMG]

21. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

Twin, with the nature of this keen thread, I don't think #14,679 is OT at all. I am surprised that this movie isn't better celebrated today. But then, wasn't it set in the French & Indian War?

I'll bet if you did the "Jay Walking" bit and asked people on the street, nine out of 10 wouldn't know Teddy Roosevelt from Franklin Roosevelt -- much less ever even HEARD of such a thing as the French and Indian War!!!

[I hate to say this, but I can remember a promo for "The HISTORY Channel" (got that?) wherein they hautily stated that the Alamo was beseiged during (aarrgh!) THE MEXICAN WAR. I rest my case.]

22. Great picture, wish I had some when we were that age. We were more into "Cowboys and Indians" tho, mainly so we could tie up my little sister and her friends to a tree after they were caught. That would last about a minute until they started screaming and Mom came running out. I can hear her now, "You just wait 'til your father gets home". :eek::eek:

Thanks for bring back some good memories.

23. Rudebaker

Rudebaker
    from Illinois

Ahhh, playing war. Playstation ruined that forever.:(

True story...

Best friend's Dad was the local undertaker and they lived in the funeral home. Whenever we played "WW2" he always wanted to be the Germans as Rommel was a cousin of his Grandmother's. One day we're getting ready to begin the battle and he says he has a "surprise" for us and to go ahead and start so we head out to find a suitable ambush spot. We hear the garage door opening and their riding mower start. Around the back of the funeral home comes the mower with a cardboard casket box over it with iron crosses and Wehrmacht insignia drawn on it and it has slits cut in the sides with a BB gun sticking out of one of them. We're thinking "cool" a TANK and frantically start looking for something to make a Bazooka out of...........:rolleyes: Then we hear his dad yelling his FULL name and see him coming down the front steps 3 at a time! Seems there was a visitation just beginning and the family had just arrived. Anytime his Dad used his full name it meant serious, serious trouble so we all hopped on our bikes and did a hasty tactical withdrawal until the mandatory 2 week grounding he always got had passed.

It must really suck to be a kid today, somehow I couldn't imagine sitting around as an old fart like me and telling funny stories about playing Playstation or XBox as a kid being quite the same........

24. Novadude55

Novadude55
    from CA

We played soldiers too, our inspiration was the tv show Combat, I always imitated Seargent Saunders played by Vic Morrow

25. 62catalina

62catalina

Mom & Dad with his 40 standard coupe just before his second trip to Korea

26. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.