Register now to get rid of these ads!

Swingin' Needles

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by COOP666, Jul 18, 2007.

1. COOP666

COOP666
    from Austin TX

2. hot-rod roadster

hot-rod roadster
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Omaha Ne.

Whew, nice stuff, can't compete with your collection but here's the gauges in my roadster set in one of Knecht Equip. Company's re-pop Auburn dash inserts. Gary

Attached Files:

3. Lil' Billy

Lil' Billy
    from Georgia

That's pretty nifty.

4. Jive-Bomber

Jive-Bomber

Coop- I like your shots of the guages in context w/ the dash--

Here's my Model A w/ 30 Buick dash with crap guages:

Attached Files:

5. COOP666

COOP666
    from Austin TX

I like the looks of that '30 Buick dash. Cool!

I'll find some more dashboard photos to put up.

6. COOP666

COOP666
    from Austin TX

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2014
  7. LUCIFR

LUCIFR
    from Seattle

Man that second to last shot of the elliot brothers setup is sweet let me wipe off my drool real kwik...thanks for posting

8. Trashed & Hammered

Trashed & Hammered
    from HR,Oregon

Too bad that third one was made upside-down,
    makes it hard to read.;)

9. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2014
  10. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Shit... I just totally fucked this thread up with my blog script... Hey Coop, can you add your photos back?

11. Good job MR. WEBMASTER BOY. :D

JH

12. mcload

mcload

Here is a pic of the instr. panel on the Venus, circa 1953. I have scrutinized this photo very closely and have found that there are two separate styles of gages that my Dad used. Problem is, I can't tell the manufacturer on any of them. I always assumed Stewart Warner, but their experts can't identify them either (or could have cared less). I could be wrong, but I don't think SW had logos on some of their gauges back then.

I plan to have Classic Instruments (?) build me a complete matching set based on the style of the speedometer in this pic. I would like to add a second large RPM gauge, but that will throw off the "authenticity" that I'm trying to achieve with this restoration. I may also have them design a temp gauge with dual needles for right and left side of flathead. I was initially thinking about using the SW "Wings" series, but have since decided against it. I also personally like the RPM gauges that ramp up/down in steps rather than a smooth linear motion...those are way cool! We'll see; I'm at least a year away from having to worry about gauges!

PS: Anyone recognize that rear-view mirror?

[​IMG]

13. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Graphics...I think 1940's commercial, military SW's are the acme of graphic design for actual useability, and have the beauty of pure, perfect function.
    The last half of the 1930's in cars was the acme of decorative graphics...faces, lenses, panels, shapes all went deco nuts, producing effects from "Chrysler Building" to "Salvador Dali"...particularly independents, Hudson, etc. After that, the age of the little rectangular electric gauges brought in boring gauges (Though oft in neat panels) too small in size and sweep for real functional beauty...

14. SinisterCustom

SinisterCustom

I dig old gauges.....a club member recently gave me a US Gauge Co. water temp gauge for my truck. It's larger than the others I've seen, @ 2 1/2", slightly curved glass, 0-212* range, has a patina'd brass bezel and the cover over the capillary is woven copper......

It's pretty neat.......just installed it two nights ago........

15. converseandbowlingshirts

converseandbowlingshirts
    from Eugene, OR

16. That mirror looks identical to the original mirror in my MG TD.

17. justanotherguy

justanotherguy

Great stuff. Being a designer myself, I completely understand the the draw. You all know about the book titled "Dashboards" right? ... by David Holland ISBN 0-7148-3863-2

18. steelratrod47

steelratrod47
    from Florida

theses are some pics of the gauges in my little lakester rod english smith speedo and petrol and temp gauges in harley bullet light houseings

Attached Files:

19. RoyalCrown32

RoyalCrown32

This is my collection. A vintage boat dashpanel and Studebaker Golden Hawk gauges. All of them will end up in the dash of my 33 Ford coupe.

Attached Files:

20. mcload

mcload

Just goes to show what a nice wooden display case can do to dress up car parts that would otherwise look junky anywhere else! Works well with old fishing reels and lures too!

21. mcload

mcload

Gary...what in the heck is that black and white thing sticking up in your photo? A stickshift? Inquiring minds want to know! :)

22. COOP666

COOP666
    from Austin TX

I replaced the linked photos in the first post. Carry on.

23. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

I don't actually collect much of anything anymore, though I do have an ever evolving gauge collection rolling through my shop. heres something I picked up a while back, it has since been sold. the gauges were mostly just to fill the holes though there was a couple of good ones in there... see the SW greenline oil PSI in the center.

[​IMG]

24. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

here's my vintage reverse rotation SW mechanical tach. this came from an old truck yard that closed down recently. they had been in business since the 50's. the 80+ year old owner told me exactly what truck it came from and what drove it and why it was reversed, but I forgot. I think it was run off the generator or something??? I also picked up a 50's kenworth (?) dash full of SW's.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

25. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

anybody know what year they made this one?

[​IMG]

26. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

I always liked these green ones. I have had several... never a tach or speedo though.

[​IMG]

look at this ratty pair.... 2 5/8" greenlines. what do you expect for a buck?

[​IMG]

these seem to be very popular with the muscle car crowd

[​IMG]

27. Flat Ernie

Flat Ernie
    Tech Editor

I've got a few gauges - nothing as cool as what's been posted. I do like the '40s Buick gauges for style though - copper & red looks great.

Probably my nicest gauges are these NOS SW gauges - I'd love to find a matching speedo (believe to be used in Stude trucks - I think Bluto IDed them for me earlier) & the speedos I've found so far are in horrible shape (and only go to 70mph - certainly unsuitable for a hot rod! ;) )

I like the mid '30s Stude Dictator stuff - very art deco. I also really like early Caddy stuff - the lettering style is funky-cool & the cream color really is nice.

Attached Files:

28. 50Fraud

50Fraud

My selection of automotive gauges is pretty ordinary, but I really like this for out-of-the-ordinary:

Attached Files:

29. SinisterCustom

SinisterCustom

I love these type.....never seen the top ones before though....Are they somewhat rare????
    I was going to use the greenline ones in my next project.....but that first one may be the ticket.....

30. SinisterCustom

SinisterCustom

Went out and took a quick pic of my 'revised' gauge panel with the "new" water gauge:) .......

Attached Files: