Register now to get rid of these ads!

History More WWII planes still flying

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Deuce Daddy Don, Jul 4, 2013.

1. Deuce Daddy Don

Deuce Daddy Don
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

"Keep 'em flying":D

Attached Files:

crashfarmer and Ric Dean like this.
  2. Just saw a large plane and four smaller ones pass over the DVW area of Texas. They sure sound good. Sorta like a 6 cyl Chevy with a split manifold.

3. bcowanwheels

bcowanwheels

Imo nothing sounds better than 4 engines running in sync. Sounds better than a f/c fuel engine.

4. IronFord

IronFord
    from NoDak

I live in Kindred, Nd Odegaard Wings operates out of here. When Bob Odegaard was alive it was very common to see P-51's flying in and out of town. Unfortunately Bob was killed last summer flying his Super Corsair (Racer 74). Hell of a nice guy and gravely missed in the war bird community. I still see some P-51's but not nearly as often.

Link to Odegaard Wings and some of their projects.
    http://www.odegaardwings.com/past-projects-2/

The history of Racer 74
    http://www.airrace.com/corsair74.htm

Last edited: Feb 28, 2015

5. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

We're in the flight path for the small planes going in and out of Paine Field/Snohomish County Airport, Everett, Washington State. There are a couple of museums and restoration flight centers out of there; Heritage, Future of Flight, and Paul Allen's venture. On nice weekends the old planes are up making the too-rich-for-their-own-good cry babies complain about the noise they make. The air field has been then since the early 1900's, first as Army Air Corp, then that became the USAF, reservists, and now the big "B" (Boeing). These people knew full well there was an airport there when they bought their homes with views of Puget Sound. Now, the FAA has ruled there may now be commercial flights. I've lived on or around airports all my life; my Father retired from the USAF out of Paine Field in 66 or 67, and instead of my getting drafted in 70, I was a Medic in the USAF, My Father used to say of the noise the planes made, "that's the sound of freedom". Keep em' flyin'. Butch/56sedandelivery.

Atwater Mike likes this.
  6. something about those old radials - just sounds right...when you hear them hummming....

7. barstowpo

barstowpo

I just got to take a flight on a B17 called Nine O Nine. It was awesome. There was a P51 and a B24 also giving rides. I was in Bozeman, MT and happened to hear about the planes on the local news.

8. kyvetteman

kyvetteman

I love that quote! Thanks to you and your Father for your service.

9. rpkiwi

rpkiwi
    from Truckee CA

Just got my sedan running this weekend and was able to get this shot with a T6.

Attached Files:

10. EnglishBob

EnglishBob

Here's a couple of videos from last weekend of a Lancaster and Hercules running.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. hotrod--willys

hotrod--willys

I'm sorry to ruin this photo on my 1951 Chevy and the beautiful P51 Mustang with my fat ass. Only photo that came out. I think the two 51s look great together:D

Attached Files:

steinauge likes this.
  12. AZbent

AZbent

This is a picture from the "Sentimental Journey" B 17 flight deck. the car show was at the CAF in Mesa, AZ.

Attached Files:

13. glad to see so many warbirds still in action. i recently heard of a brand new b-17 being built somewhere, does anybody know anything more about this?

14. snapper

snapper
    from PNW

On my wall....

Attached Files:

15. monkeyspunk79

monkeyspunk79

I used to live in Evansville, Indiana where they made the Republic P-47 Thunderbolt. My grandparents neighbor was a ferry pilot and used to fly them to bases once they were finished being assembled and quickly tested.

One year, during the annual "Evansville Freedom Festival" air show, a WWII P-47 pilot in his late 80's was recognized at the show. He didn't fly in the plane that year, but later asked to climb into the cockpit of the Thunderbolt after it did a flyby for the crowd. This guy had several photos taken by the press and the plane's owners were really cool with him...he didn't leave the cockpit for a long time and asked to be alone. I'm sure that 4 or 5 minutes contained a flood of emotions for him. People were crying just watching him sit up there.

I can't imagine what it was like to fly those old beasts in battle.

16. arielucrz

arielucrz
    from london

Just saw a large plane and four smaller ones pass over the DVW area of Texas.[​IMG]

17. Fedcospeed

Fedcospeed

Vintage war plane show this weekend in Geneseo NY.I plan on going.Old cars get in free and get perfered parking!!.This is a good one.Grass landing field like the old days.Will post pictures Monday.

18. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I work at the Yakima, Wa airport and get to see warbirds stop by on a regular basis. It seems to be just the right distance from Paine field for many of the planes based there to make a stop and The Mcallister Museum of Aviation which is Charlie Mcallister's old flight center is at the East end of the airport and draws a lot of warbirds and interesting planes.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

LOU WELLS likes this.
  19. daliant

daliant

So the car show is free with an old car, but is the air show still 20 bucks? or is that included

20. Ramblur

Ramblur

I'm next door to warbird heaven in central Fla,so this week its a Sopwith Snipe with the 150hp Bentley rotary and a total loss castor oil system.
    Stopped by last weekend to check out the latest acquisition, Howard Hughes 1937 Sikorsky S-43. Howard crashed this one in Lake Mead in 1943 killing 2 crew members and nearly himself. He paid to have it recovered from the lake bottom and totally rebuilt into this executive version. It is on a fast track for full restoration to flying status.

View attachment 1978089

View attachment 1978095

View attachment 1978098

View attachment 1978101

View attachment 1978104

View attachment 1978107

View attachment 1978108

21. ironfly28

ironfly28
    from Orange, CA

If anybody went to Ink-N-Iron you would have seen us fly over twice each day with 2 SNJ-5s 'Wardog" and "Daisy Pearl" turning circles and layin' smoke trails at minmum altitude...

22. Ramblur

Ramblur

http://www.fantasyofflight.com/ is home to nearly 100 Warbirds,racers,and historic aircraft,so you never know whats gonna be airborne tomorrow. Here's a few more...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

LOU WELLS likes this.
  23. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Just after daybreak in early July 1981 we were headed to Texas and driving the 48 through eastern New Mexico and a group of P-38'a flew across in front of us at low level and were gone. I thought it was my imagination until a mile or so further down the road my wife asks "were those P-38's that flew by in front of us back there"? We both thought we had imagined them.

24. 40 Olds

40 Olds

25. Beef Stew

Beef Stew
    from So Cal

a couple months ago i was walking out of an athletics store and heard the rumble of some vintage aircraft. i looked up and nearly jizzed myself. it was a p-38 and 3 p-51's. no shit.

then a couple weeks ago i was at the beach and there was a p-51 buzzing up and down the coast.

26. raderschwein

raderschwein
    from merca

That B-26 is bitchin'! I got to see the CAF's fly at Harlingen in '87. Also FIFI their B-29. Unfortunately I also got to witness the only flyable P-82 Twin Mustang wrecked that year too.:eek::( Haven't missed the Reno Air Races since '82 except for 911 and the crash of The Galloping Ghost. Every gear head needs to witness the spectacle of hot-rodded piston engine fighter planes duking it out. Nothing like it.
    Another Zero find? Where's this one from? I sure wish someone would pull the wreckage of a J2M3 Raiden out of the jungle and make it flyable. Only one in existence right now. It's at the Planes of Fame museum in Chino.
    I had the opportunity to take some pics of the Galaxie with a friends friends P-51 a couple months ago. Great guy. Lets us wee folk climb around and in his collection of planes.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 11, 2013
  27. The sound off these was pure music !! JW
    [​IMG]

28. raderschwein

raderschwein
    from merca

That Mosquito is one I want to watch flying. :cool: