Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Searching for 1948 Tucker photos

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Tucker Fan 48, Nov 26, 2010.

1. Tucker Fan 48

Tucker Fan 48
    from Maui

Searching for vintage Tucker photos and articles. (the older the better)

I’m presently researching the 1948 Tucker automobile and I’m attempting to fill in the last few gaps in early ownership on some of the cars as well as verify some of the stories about a few of the cars from over the years. Before I get a bunch of responses that say try the Tucker Club website, I’d like to say I am hoping to uncover new information that either myself or the Tucker Club does not already have. Current locations are not necessary as information since 1980 has been pretty well documented. Looking for any Family photos that include a Tucker. Any used car lot photos that include a Tucker.

Particularly interested in old photos of Tuckers in Tulsa, OK, Boise, ID, Richfield, MN and Denver CO. (front and drivers side photos are always preferred)

Photos of Tuckers at dealerships and other venues in 1948. Photos of a Tucker at the Ala Moana Hotel in Honolulu.

Any photos of the Tucker Plant auction actually taking place. Any newspaper articles from October, November, and December of 1950 about people that actually bought Tuckers at the Plant Auction.

Tuckers being raffled in Missouri and Texas in 1949 and 1950. Magazine and newspaper ads listing Tuckers for sale during the 50s.

Any pictures of a Tucker at the Museum on Lookout Mountain Colorado (circa 1960). Tucker at the Sutro Baths in San Francisco (1955-1966). Any pictures of Tuckers in Museums from the 1950s through 1980.

Pictures of the Amazing Tuckers traveling show.

Tucker at race track in Ohio, New York, Pennsylvania (circa 1950)

Tuckers used in advertising for Beccues Driving Range in Chicago and Dairy Rich Ice Cream in Gary, IN.

Tucker motors (and motor serial numbers if possible).

If it’s a Tucker, I’d love to see it!

Here are a few photos to get this thread started.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 26, 2010
  2. IMG_0546.JPG Tucker at the Lemay museum in Spanaway, Washington.

3. misigis

misigis
    from NY

There is one on display at the Coppola Winery. Napa, Ca.

4. Probably same car as the Lemay museum one but this was owned by the Gast Museum in Pa when this was taken.

Attached Files:

5. Tucker Fan 48

Tucker Fan 48
    from Maui

Probably same car as the Lemay museum one but this was owned by the Gast Museum in Pa when this was taken.

Thanks for the photo.

That is Tucker #1024 which was at the Gast Museum in Strasburg, PA.

#1024 is now owned by The Smith Collection Museum of Automotive and Racing Memorabilia, 300 Speedway Circle, Lincoln, Nebraska.

The LeMay Tucker is #1007.

6. RustyRedRam

RustyRedRam

Tucker's personal Tucker is at the Petersen; it's (rumored to be) the only one with polished stainless or chrome window trim. There's also one in San Diego at a museum that I remember seeing about ten years ago; it's hooked up to a small trailer. I'll see what photos I can find.

7. Tucker Fan 48

Tucker Fan 48
    from Maui

Thanks for posting. Glad that you mentioned the Tucker at the Petersen. It is Tucker #1030. Although the Petersen has a sign about this car it is not, and never was, Preston Tucker's personal car. There are absolutely no documents to support this claim. That is an "Urban Legend" started many years ago after a former owner of the car had some extra embellishments added to the car back in the 60s. Sometime during the 70s "someone" noticed that the car had makings that other Tuckers did not have and made an assumption that the car must have been Preston's. The "story" has stuck.

Tucker #1029 is documented as Preston's car and Tucker #1031 is documented as his wife Vera's car. Both are currently owned by private collectors in the Los Angeles area.

The Tucker in San Diego is Tucker #1019. It's always great to see more pictures of Deb Hull's car. Looking forward to seeing them.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 27, 2010
  8. Tucker Fan 48, it appears you have knowledge of these cars, and their whereabouts. How many have you been able to locate, of the 51, or is it 50?

9. Dadstoy 2

Dadstoy 2

Did they ever finish the convertible?

10. Tucker Fan 48

Tucker Fan 48
    from Maui

All the cars and all the bodies have been accounted for. There is still some question as to where Tucker #1042 was destroyed, but the car is gone and some parts have been found. Parts from the other three damaged cars, #1018, #1023, and #1027 have all been located.

There was one hand built prototype. It is often referred to as the Tin Goose.

There were 50 cars built at the Tucker plant. These really could all be considered prototypes as these cars were all being constantly tested and improvements were made as problems were discovered. The final product was getting quite close to production and had the money not all died up there would have been Tuckers rolling off the line within a few months.

There were 8 completely unfinished bodies and many other parts left when the plant closed. They along with 29 cars were auctioned off in October 1950.

One of those unfinished bodies was completed into a car around 1980. Another is being completed at this time using parts of Body #52 and two of the damaged cars.

I won't comment here on a convertible. There are many threads on the internet about what that car is. I'd like to keep this thread positive and on track. Hopefully some new information on Tuckers can be discovered that way.

11. Gelinotte

Gelinotte

Seem like it has...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Rejean :cool:

12. Harms Way

Harms Way

You mean like this ?
    [​IMG]

13. Gelinotte

Gelinotte

:)

At least one made it to Nascar...

[​IMG]

Rejean :cool:

14. Harms Way

Harms Way

Or are these old news ?,.....
    [​IMG]

15. Harms Way

Harms Way

16. Harms Way

Harms Way

17. Harms Way

Harms Way

18. Harms Way

Harms Way

19. Harms Way

Harms Way

20. Rikster

Rikster

21. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

Wow, even though this car came to rest in that place decades ago, it is kind of hard to think that a pretty grand car could be held in low esteem. Fascinating stuff. GOOD LUCK on the research!!!

[​IMG]

22. scrubba

scrubba

Had those cars ever gone into production, I would have bought one ! scrubba

23. "I’m presently researching the 1948 Tucker automobile and I’m attempting to fill in the last few gaps in early ownership on some of the cars as well as verify some of the stories about a few of the cars from over the years. Before I get a bunch of responses that say try the Tucker Club website, I’d like to say I am hoping to uncover new information that either myself or the Tucker Club does not already have."

Here is something new I'm sure the Tucker collectors haven't seen before. My friend's dad owned Tucker #1 back in the day and here is a copy of his original registration. He passed away a couple years recent and was absolutely sick over what its worth became being he had sold it for only a few thousand back then. I'll have to stop over the son's house here in town and see if I can make copies of the photos when they owned it.

Attached Files:

24. super-six

super-six

How were the 21 that were not auctioned off in October of 1950 sold and approximately when were they sold?

25. Wasn't there a photo unearthed recently of a "Big Back Window" Tucker body in the Tucker plant when the LIFE magazine archives were released on Google images?

I'll have to look for that.

Edit: Here's a link to Kustomrama with 3 of the photos of the body.
    Kustomrama link

26. Toner283

Toner283

Interesting pictures. looking forward to more.

27. twochops

twochops

I love stories about Tuckers. But we're snowbirds in Florida and my
    photos are in Michigan so cant add any photos.
    TwoChops

28. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

That's keen to see IsettaJohn's copy of the registration for #1
    and interesting that it was registered as a '50 model. But at the
    same time, it makes sense, since the OLD way was the year in
    which the car is first presented for registration, not the year it
    was planned or even assembled. As I say, interesting, but really
    a minor side note.

I don't know if "background" on Preston's early auto efforts might
    be of use, but HAMBer "Narlee" posted these pix from a 1960 TRUE
    magazine on another thread. The top one is the racer Tucker