Register now to get rid of these ads!

700r4 lock up kit suggestions

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 1959apache, Mar 31, 2010.

1. 1959apache

1959apache

I have been doing some research and was wondering if anyone had suggestions on lock up kits for 700r4's? I have seen several... some that run off of the brake switch, others that run off of a relay, others a solenoid, so on and so forth. I was wondering if anyone would be able to give me some direction in regards to which to purchase. I really would like to save some money, but want to ensure that whatever I end up getting will last and not cause something catastrophic to happen because of chinese built parts. If there is a HAMBer or local business that has worked with a HAMBer with this kind of kit please let me know.

2. Want to save money? Put in a non locking converter. Same price as a lock up converter. You'll run 200rpm higher on the freeway (depending on your gearing)

3. Steves32

Steves32
    from So Cal

Buy a 80 Corvette brake pedal switch. It also has provisions for cruise (NC) as well as brake (NO) Run 12v to NC, and then down to trans 4th gear lock up solonoid. If you have more than one solonoid (some lock up in other gears too) just leave those disconnected or remove them & install 1/8" plug.
    Cost about 20 bux.

4. I did mine for the price of a $4.99 Radio Shack switch.

I put one of the oil pressure switches in the oil pan into the 4th gear pressure port, ran the lockup solenoid wire to it, then to the $4.99 switch on the dash.

Over a dozen years of riding it hard, and it still works fine.

No frilly fancy stuff. No extra options I don't need or want.

A price I like.

If you run "normal" gears like 3.5 or 3.73 or so, you don't even need the lockup.

If you run something stupid, like the factory 3.08's or 3.00's then you had better lock the converter or the excessive converter heat will overheat the trans with huge slippage from all that unneeded lugging.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2010
    Wayne C Pickhardt likes this.
  5. Mostly what Steves32 said but it also helps to run a vacuum switch in series with the brake pedal switch. That way when you get hard on the gas it will unlock also. I think the B&M kit has everything you need for both. Lots of info on the iternet on 700R4 swaps.

6. Old Skool Rodder

Old Skool Rodder

The kits are nothing more than a stoplight switch as mentioned above like around a 80s model vette. Southern Rods has a kit that uses the B/L switch, but you get the molded plug needed to plug into the trans

7. Steves32

Steves32
    from So Cal

On some cars- converter will hunt w/ a vacuum switch. That's why I don't run one. When you get on gas, it will shift out of OD & converter unlocks, since you are only running 4th gear solonoid.

8. Is it worth saving $20 or so now versus the savings of a little better fuel economy in the long run?

9. 1959apache

1959apache

I am running a 3.90 gear ratio in my pickup

10. Jims35

Jims35

I use the TCI on my 200 4R . I had trouble with the vacuum switch trying to shuttle in and out of lockup when I would step on it. There is a way to adjust it, but I disconected to vacuum line and capped of the port . Now I just use the manual switch which I like better as I have more control over the trany.

11. I bought the B&M kit and it works fine but wish I had the vacumn switch for heavy throttle. The kit I got has a speed sender that is adjustable from the drivers seat for MPH lockup and a on/off switch, great for the times I want to play. This is in my daily driver with a 388 CID/700r4/4.11 gear. Gas mileage? It sucks! 10 in town and 12 on the road at 75mph! Does not change a bit with the single axle trailer either, I think the gear and the .500 lift are my downsides..... :)

12. I JUST asked the same thing about a 200-4R (86 Monte Carlo SS transmission), a few weeks ago that's in my 32. I want my transmission to operate just like it's designed to do, so I settled for a wireing kit from Bowtie Overdrives. http://www.bowtieoverdrives.com/catalog/catalog_inc/viewitem.php?ITEMID=343
    This is the one you'll need. http://www.bowtieoverdrives.com/catalog/catalog_inc/viewitem.php?ITEMID=336
    Almost everything else I saw was partial kits and/or more expensive. Or, you may go with a Toggle Switch or vacuum set-up, as suggested. I have the vacuum switch on a 700-R4 in my Jaguar, and it does, in fact, "hunt" at certain speeds. I have dealt with Bowtie a few times before, their Tech is the best and their prices are reasonable. Their Web Site also has a WEALTH of info on.

13. 1959apache

1959apache

Well I just thought of something that I should have mentioned before... I have not rebuilt this tranny, the previous owner had... and I trust him as far as I can throw him. I dont know if he somehow used or converted to an older 700r4 internally. What I do not see on the side of the tranny is any kind of vacuum ports or anything, unlike my 350T that I have on my plymouth which has a vacuum port. Is it correct to assume that if I dont see any kind of vacuum setup on the outside of the tranny or any other open ports that he already did the work for me? Does anyone have any pictures that they can share? I have tranny experience, but have mainly worked with manuals in foreign vehicles.

14. glenn33

glenn33
    from Browns, IL

Check out our kits at http://www.rebel-wire.com/acckits.shtml
    Also, not all 700R4 transmissions have a 4th gear test port, some have an inspection plate where you mount the pressure switch.

[​IMG] [FONT=verdana,arial,helvetica,times new roman,palatino]<small>700R4/2004R Lockup Kit</small>[/FONT]
    [FONT=verdana,arial,helvetica,times new roman,palatino]<small>This wire and switch kit allows the use of these computer controlled transmissions without the need to install a computer control unit.</small>[/FONT]

[FONT=verdana,arial,helvetica,times new roman,palatino]<small>Price $59.95</small>[/FONT]

15. Old Skool Rodder

Old Skool Rodder

Rebel has the pressure operated kit, worth the money, they do work!

No I dont work for them!

16. outlaw56

outlaw56
    from Hines, MN

130-70244 OR 130-70248 out jegs depending on electric or mech speedo. has on off switch and variable set speed for lockup

17. Canuck

Canuck

The first of seven pages posted by Sumner on the 700R4 Trans.

http://www.purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/techinfo/700R4p1.html

A excellent read. Read all seven. Used the info provided to set up the 700R4 in my 64 Malibu. Has worked great behind the 406 for over 5 years. My only regret was installing a B&M kit, has resulted in harsh shifts under light throttle.

Vacumn switch was a Pic-a-Part part, cruise type brake switch was from my junk and the internal pressure switch was new GM.

Canuck

18. I did away with the controller completely and locked up with an old school dimmer switch on the floor. I only used it for long highway runs. The only drawback is that I have to remember to unlock it when exiting the highway.