Register now to get rid of these ads!

'57 Olds Rocket Motor - Manual Box?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by panhead_pete, Sep 5, 2007.

1. panhead_pete

panhead_pete
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hi guys managed to pick up a rocket motor today which has an auto behind it, which I presume is some sot of hydrmatic??? Whats the best way to go to a manual box?

Apparently its a sweet runner out of a one owner car. Any suggestions for bolt on speed parts greatly appreciated too.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Paul

Paul
    Editor

been a rash of these same threads lately
    try using the search function both on the main board here and in the Tech Archive, lots of good information.

answers usually boil down to intended use, available time and budget

3. Scotch

Scotch

4. This has probably been covered before but the two biggest hassles are:finding a manual bell housing and the the BIGGEST problem:the crankshaft may not be drilled to accept a pilot bearing.In mid-56 Oldsmobile changed over from the Dual-Range style Hydra-Matic to the Jetaway which does not require a hole in the crankshaft.Standard shift Oldsmobiles were still available in 1957(in fact I believe up to 1959)but I'm not sure what was done for the pilot bearing.I assume only the necessary cranks were drilled.

5. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

I'm pretty sure the cranks are not drilled for a pilot bearing (though I could be wrong).

An acquaintance's father told me a story about him and his '57 Holiday 98 2dr Hardtop back in the late 50's/early 60s. He said he had to drill the crank for a pilot bearing, and he put a 4 speed behind the J2 371. The car had 4:11s and a torched out X member. He used to sit at the local car hops on RT 22 with the floor shifter up his pant leg, negotiate races for money, then demolish dudes after the deal was made. Pretty cool

6. panhead_pete

panhead_pete
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks guys.

I had done a search but hadnt tried the tech section so best go look there too :) . The adaptors look cool, just have to think about $1500 be viable.
    Cheers
    Pete