Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical FRAME, '28-'31A Hiboy Roadster on 32 Rails

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Cruisin', Jan 18, 2004.

1. <font color="green"> Now here is something that really interests me.
    It would be great to see 'details' and 'how-to' via you creative lot.
    I do have a penchant for a steel A roadster on '32 rails (as many of you out there do also) as a Steel '32 is almost a pipedream , so would love to see the variations that are out there, Traditional Style of course but also open to updated braking, e.g. Discs on the front.
    My view is of a basic body, chassis running gear combo (man. or auto, Flatty, Nailhead, Caddy, Olds, SBC, SBF, GMC, HEMI? what have you..) with imagination and not necessarily busting the bank.
    Split wishbones, hairpin radius rods, dropped (and drilled) I-beams.
    Solids or Wires? WWW or Blackwall, Primer or Gloss the list goes on.
    Take us on a time warp, show us what you have, links to creative constructors and historic cars as per the book <font color="red"> HOT ROD </font> <font color="black"> Milestones </font> by Dain Gingerelli.
    Exerpts from early HOT ROD, Hop Up, Rod &amp; Custom, Car Craft and more.
    I look forward to seeing what transpires.
    Cheers,
    C [​IMG]
    </font>

2. David,

Traditional styling opens the gates to a time frame from the late thirties to late sixties. Fortunately - disc brakes will not fit the criteria. Personally a four banger one would be neat as well as an A-V8 with a flathead ala Keith Golder style.

Greg

P.S. I saw you chatting with John Key about his bodies he is doing.

3. <font color="brown"> Yup, fair comment, Trad is drum, but dependant on what and where, what can be procured, I am open.
    Some choose to be fully authentic and have drums, others prefer discs. I have a friend currently building a steel '29 on '32 rails, it will run dropped I-beam with discs and hairpins.
    Can't reveal too much as its SUPERTOPSECRET(tm)
    John's bodies look great. Brookville rear with his various inclusions. I have known John for over 20 years (He bought my '56 Chevy for his wife "then fiance" Mary-Anne back in '82)
    Squeak's chassis look the part Kiwi Konnection and are available with many options, as you know.
    Perhaps one day I will have the coin (there is a place in the garage..) to make it all happen.
    At present it can only be a dream but hopefully a reality as time progresses.
    I want to keep that dream alive and never lose sight.
    O- [​IMG]-o
    Keep the fire burnin'
    C </font>

4. There are excellent articles in "Shop Rag" by Jason..., he shows the process of modifying the body to conform to the Deuce Frame to the hanging of the suspension and so on. [​IMG]

I believe that someone on the HAMB put together a comprehensive thread regaurding this subject as well. I can't remember who wrote it or when...? But maybe someone can find it for you! [​IMG]

Mark

5. 201

The Tardel/Bishop book,How to build traditional Ford hot rod has alot of info. Great book. Also Westcot catalog I beleave has frame diagram for A on Duce frame.

6. <font color="red"> Thanx for the info so far...
    Any chance of posting a few piccy's or links to them??
    I will look into those books.
    Cheers,
    C [​IMG]
    </font>

7. metalshapes

metalshapes

Discs can be OK on a Trad car...
    But only if they are period pieces, like a set off an old XK140 Jag, or something like that.
    Even though that is not really updated braking.
    Slapping on a couple of Camaro discs would not be staying true to the theme, IMO...

8. whodaky

whodaky
    from Aust

follow that dream Cruisin, when I first got interested in hot rods way back when, my ultimate was a'32 roadster. Took a long time but I eventually ended up with a steel one , lots of twists and turns along the way to end up with one, but now I have 3 steel dueces, just got to be patient and have that dream

9. Zodoff

Zodoff

here are some details on the frame\body stuff,C..
    it has been posted here before..

Attached Files:

10. Found this in my archives...
    Nealinca posted awhile back on here.
    Timeless [​IMG]

Attached Files:

11. I clicked on this thinking I'd see some tech... instead I get a guys opinion on what "interests him". [​IMG]

Sam!

12. <font color="red"> [ QUOTE ]
    I clicked on this thinking I'd see some tech... instead I get a guys opinion on what "interests him". [​IMG]

Sam!

[/ QUOTE ]
    Hey Sam, what interests me is also what interests other people on this board too.
    I have many interests in the automotive field and others for that matter, "which do not belong on this board".
    Being <font color="blue"> TECH WEEK </font> I figured there may be one or two out there who have some details or thoughts or perhaps projects looming that they wish to share...?? [​IMG]
    It is with pleasure I accept comments, good, bad and indifferent but also figured a "to the point subject title"
    was easier to write than something "long-winded...."
    Should you have any data that you have specifically found pertinent or even downright mind-blowing it would be welcomed and greatly appreciated.
    Especially for someone like me who does not have lots of knowledge on all that is trad and specific to this subject
    Cheers,
    C [​IMG] </font>