Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical SOURCE, Early Cad OHV V8 Info

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Cadillacin Marcus, Jan 12, 2004.

1. I know alot you know this info already,but I have received a few emails about Caddys and thought I would write a post on what I know and remember about Cads regarding what interchanges through the years and different engines.I'm by no means an expert,I built mine in 96-98 and did as much homework as possible during that time,I was virtually clueless.I wish I knew alot of this info myself before I started into it.i learned alot from guys like Squeak Bell and other ex racers who swore by the old Cads. So here i go...
    First year was 1949 the CID was 331 OHV V8 same year the Olds 303 came out.From 1949-1962 this design engine was used (49-55 331CID) (56-58 365CID) (59-62 390CID)All intake manifolds,Camshafts,Water Pumps(diff outlet locations vary through the years),valve covers,heads,valley covers will fit on all models(Studebaker rocker arms will fit also)(valley covers will fit up til 1967)(6x2 intakes will fit until 67).The first 1949 models had valve covers like the Olds and are pretty rare now.1949-51 had some real small exh ports and small valves,all 331's didn't breathe too well.Also compression was low on these like 7.5:1 and only had a two bbl carb until 52. 6 volt until 53.1949-1954 Cads were offered in manual also.And used the same trannys from 37-54 including La Salle,Olds,Buick..they all will bolt up the tailshafts are different etc.Oldsmobile shared the same set up until 1956.The 331's could be bored out alot up to a 1/4" but 1/8" or 3/16" is more practical.Basically a 390 is a bored out 331 and 390's can't be bored out that far.All Cads use non-adjustable rockers which limits you on any type of performance cam,adj rockers are a must in a performance motor and still can be had,just let me know(stock valve covers will not clear,either shim them up or use Edelborck or Hildebrandt covers,Moons and Offys wont clear as well).All Cads 1949-1958 use a partial flow oil filtration system,the 1959 390 were the first to go full flow something to consider when choosing a Cad to build.Distributors are the same 1949-1954.All in all the 390 is the best for performance choice of them all, they look the same as the early models and will give you the cubes and compression tons of torque and horsepower!
    Cadillac cool stuff-Early valve covers have the cursive script and were used I believe until 1955.Edelbrock and Hildebrandts are what you need for perfromance and clearnce.
    Distributors-everyone made them but are really hard to find now Du Coil,Grant,Spaulding,Rotofaze are the shit but good luck getting parts.Mallory Magspark was a great unit and the parts are still being made ie points,cap and rotor!Also Mallory will build you a new custom unit as will Vertex or Joe hunt.
    Pistons-I know Jahns and JE will build you pistons of any bore and compression,Jahns will only do cast though,but for the later mill ie 390's, stockers from TRW,Egge etc will work fine and give you 10.25:1, more since you will surface the heads.

Cams-Back in the 50's and 60's Isky made some cool rollers,and I believe there is someone making them again.My cam grinder wouldnt tell me who though! Cads dont like much more than .475" lift and 280 adv dur remember adj rockers will be a must at this lift.Can use Chevy lifters but need to have pushrods made,also can be done for like $8.00 a rod.The aftermarket Cad lifters are junk and made overseas.

Heads- 59-62 390 headsare the best and will bolt onto the earlier models no problem.Must use the rocker shafts from the 390.so make your mind up first about using adj rockers before you order them because the 331's are different than the 390's.as well as headers at this point eraly cads are small and rectangle the 390's are large and sq.the 390 can be fitted with Chevy 2.02 or 1.94 intake valves and 1.60 exh.to balance the flow properly leave the stock exh valves in the center two,because they are siamesed and share one large port.

Intakes-Cadillac made a cast iron 2x4 used 55-57 models as well as a 3x2 set up used on the 58-60.the 3x2 works ok but none of them really give you the performance you can get from a good aftermarket unit.The intake that flowed the best was the Weiand model 2x4's in the 60's that featured the large AFB carb pads the earlier versions were made for the WCFB small base and didnt flow worth a shit.The first aftermarket intakes were made by Detroit Racing, they featured a dual intake that really worked well as did Edmunds and Eddie Meyers,Offy, later a 2x4 was made this is more for a 331.3x2 intakes by Edelbrock or Weiand are the shit,sorry Offy! 3x2's seem to work well on Cads also.4x2's Horne made the first they later became Cragar, pretty cool set up, but Edelbrock shook things up with a staggered design that delivered!6x2's by Weiand and Edelbrock again rule especially the Dragstar by Weiand and the Edelbrock CA-6 they are high rise look bitchin,thats for all out balls to the walls throttle,one purpose only Fuel and more fuel.The Offy is ok but they are low rise only,Cragar made a cool low rise to.The 6x2 will fit the 63-67 390/429's as well, the deck width on these engines are narrower just cut the 5/8" fuel hose to fit and voila!2x4's by Weiand in the 60's were the absolute best all round intake,Nicson,Detroit Racing and Maybe Edmunds made a 2x4 as well.Blower intakes were made by Cragar I dont know if the rest made one or not,alot were just fabbed up
    Fuel inj by Mr Algon and Mr Hilborn were made good luck on that search.
    Well thats all I got to say about that... Hope this helped some [​IMG]

2. Thanks Mr.Edell.

3. Southfork

Southfork

Hey, thanks a bunch for the info. Been wanting to get smarter about the early Caddys. Got a early Caddy with Crager adapter to Ford 4-speed.

4. Really cool. Thanks for posting.

My dream rod includes a hot old Caddy mill w/ a bunch o' carbs. I get giddy just thinking about all that torque in a chopped down T or A [​IMG]

5. Marcus,
    Thanks for all the info., a copy's going into the file for when I build the "killer" motor for the roadster. Have to wear out the 331 first, though.

6. Thanks for the kind words! I'm glad you like it.Talk about racking my brain!I had no reference material to go off of here at my folks house! [​IMG] [​IMG]

7. Brock49Ford

Brock49Ford

Man that is good info, thanks Marcus!!! I must be doing pretty good by your descriptions, I have a 1960 390, Cragar bellhousing, Schiefer flywheel, Hidlebrandt valve covers, and the ever elusive Horne 4 x 2bbl intake with 4 Stromberg 48s, which is staggared just like the Edelbrock CD-694, although not as much. On the Horne the carbs sit right over the intake ports and it is a relitivily low intake. It has blocked off exhaust, all but one of the Edelbrocks I have seen have the heat chamber. Now all I need is the ignition, and Peddro has it!!!!!! Keep your eyes open for me, see my vintage ignition post.Thanks again Marcus!
    Brock

8. Dirk

Dirk

Great post. I have a 390 and will some speed equip. soon like a intake for example.

Thanks for the info.

9. Skip Hollywood

Skip Hollywood
    from Vernon, CT

You sound like my kind of guy. I'm doing a '57 bored and stroked, Isky roller with rocker arms and 3 94's . It has early Edelbrock covers and valley cover. Mallory Magspark and neat old Moon fuel block. Generator is chromed as well as regulator. The only repop is a Hildebrandt oil filter from Dennis O'brian. T-5 5 speed and 8" rear all in a '37 Cabriolet. Well maybe in about 3 years it will be in a '37 Cabriolet. Nice to know there are some more cad lovers out there.

10. fishtank

fishtank

wow, great info. I've got a couple of 390's (62) that info will come in very handy.

11. Skip who did your tranny adapter? I know a guy back East that had an adapter made like that in his Merc.

BTW My Cad Mill is a 53 331 bored 1/8" over to 354 Jahns pistons 10.25:1,62 390 heads Chevy valves,Hyd cam 280 .465" lift,Adj rockers,Scheifer Aluminum Flywheel,Weiand 2x4,All chromed and polished alum.I run a 41 La Salle box Ansen stick!

Attached Files:

12. Scrapyard

Scrapyard

Awsome post. I've been looking for this stuff for a while. Quick question? Who makes shaft mount Chevy rockers? I'll Ive seen are the conversions for stud mount deals. As for the cams. I'm not sure if these are the guys your were talking about but they make repros for 390's. They may be able to make them in different grinds too. Cam Craft

13. I'm not sure i get the question..Chevys are stud mounted and Cads are shaft..I can get adjustable arms.Actually I get the whole deal arms and shafts they are rebuilt units.better than new!

14. Jive-Bomber

Jive-Bomber

Marcus-

I sure learned a lot about Cad's when I started with a 55 Cad 331 for my roadster. (Thanks for the finned valley pan I got from you!)
    A few things to add here:
    55's did indeed come with block letter (not script) valve covers
    There is a 49 - 51 distributor, 52-54, and I believe my 55 is different yet again. Also, there is still one US lifter manufacuter left for the early Cad, and a place in Texas distributes them... The name eludes me.
    If you need a cam made, DELTA cams in Washington Rules!!!!
    Someone on the HAMB turned me onto them and they made a performance cam to my specs out of fresh billet on the shelf.
    The price was around $120 with exchange of my roached core. Pretty killer deal.

Thanks for the post, Marcus!!

jay

Attached Files:

15. Awesome Thanks Jay ..The distributor I figured were all the same 49-54 or at least all would interchange.I just thought that 49-51 different because they were 6 volt.I'm glad the valley pan got there ok.And I had no idea Delta was in business still,Awesome! Mill looks great! "You're never lackin when you're Cadillacin!"

16. Brock49Ford

Brock49Ford

Delta Cams is the place to go that is for sure! They are about 5-10 minutes from my job in Fife. The thing with them is not only can they grind or resurface just about anything, they are like next day service if not faster. I have heard of guys dropping stuff off on the way to work and picking it up that same evening on the way home. Awesome service.

17. Scrapyard

Scrapyard

[ QUOTE ]
    I'm not sure i get the question..Chevys are stud mounted and Cads are shaft..I can get adjustable arms.Actually I get the whole deal arms and shafts they are rebuilt units.better than new!

[/ QUOTE ]

That's why I was confused too. In you first post you said you could use Chevy lifters.

Quote from Marcus- "Can use Chevy lifters but need to have pushrods made,also can be done for like $8.00 a rod."

Anyway, were do you get the adjustable rockers from? I've been thinking of beef'n up the engine in my 60. Thanks Marcus. This has become an awsome post.

18. yorgatron

yorgatron
    Member Emeritus

i learned from DON-WOW (rocketeer#1) that studebaker adjustable rocker arms @1.8:1 ratio will work for oldsmobiles,the rocker shaft diameter for stude is exactly the same as cadillac,at least '61-'62-george

19. Scrapyard

Scrapyard

Good deal. Thanks

20. Thanks Yorg..If you cant get the Studes I can get rebuilt shafts with custom made arms for $375 pair.

21. A couple of things about old Cads that came to mind after I first read Marcus' post. '49 through '54 blocks have a partial bellhousing cast on the block, ala early Ford flathead. In '55 they changed to a more conventional setup, so the year block you're using may affect which tranny or adapter you end up using. Also, there's a Mopar rear main seal you can substitute (with some work) if you want to get rid of that hokey piece of rope. And if you tear the rockers apart, be sure you put them back together correctly. The Bozo that went through mine years ago didn't and it screwed up the shafts and rockers.

My 331 has a stock cam reground to RV specs by Delta. Works good with the stock rockers but idles way too smoothly for me. Makes a good street cam with lots of low end torque.

22. Jive-Bomber

Jive-Bomber

Warbird is right-
    The 55 uses a different Hydramatic too. Its a easier to find bellhousing adapters for the 49 - 54 Cad motors.

Side note- Cad starter is on the right, Olds 303 is on the left, possibly causing steering box interference. A swap over adapter is made though.

Attached Files:

23. Warbird good note..I should have mentioned that when I was mentioning the 49-54's using the manual tansmissions.

24. Also if any of you come across a Edelbrock 4x2 let me know..Pleeeeease! I had two of them on my shelf at one time...Jim Gove from Magneto magazine bought my polished baby..It was pretty [​IMG]

25. Brock49Ford

Brock49Ford

Marcus,
    I think that I know of one. I was going to buy it but I have the Horne 4x2bbl and was saving my extra $$$ for the freakin' distributor that I can't find anywhere!!!! What are you willing to pay???? I'll see if it is still around.
    I am kind of partial to this one. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

26. Nice Horne..I had a Cragar..I sold to Moriarity who is building the Roth Mysterion...The Hornes are cool..That intake was on the Growbawski Kookie T also!-My favorite T of All! I'm broke at the moment but I really dont want to pay a bundle..maybe$225 or so depends on the cond-Thanks! Let me know of anyother speed stuff I had a NOS Mallory Magspark for A Cad but its long gone went to Europe!

27. Brock49Ford

Brock49Ford

Marcus,
    I'll try and get a hold of him this week. I think that is about the range he was asking, I think it was $250. About the only Cad stuff that I have right now (that I am not saving for myself [​IMG]) is a 49-54 Cad to 32-48 Ford trans adapter made by McBar Machine Shop. I probably won't ever run an early tranny, but you can double adapter it to a modern tranny. The price was right, call it "garage art" That and you don't see too much McBar stuff around.

28. Brock49Ford

Brock49Ford

Marcus - that CD-694 is still availible, but I was off on the price by $100, it is $350 w/o shipping. That is about where the last one I saw on Ebay, about 6-8 months ago sold for. There was one on not too long ago with core carbs and air cleaners that went for over $800. So that intake price might not be too far off. Hell... I should just buy the damn thing, because I can't find a Mallory ZC303!!!!
    Brock