Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rodding in Hawaii... Hao Wela!!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jive-Bomber, Aug 25, 2009.

1. Jive-Bomber

Jive-Bomber

2. 6t5frlane

6t5frlane
    from New York

Been there twice and even searched and found the drag strip in Kaui

3. Old-Soul

Old-Soul

How rad is that? I spent a week on Kaui over the 07/08 New Years and a further four days on Oahu. I Only saw 3 special interest vehicles the whole time haha. A '53 Chevy that was in the process of being shaved, and in the same driveway a '29 roadster and then later on a '62 Impala lowrider.

Cool to know they had their own developed hot rod scene as well!

4. Good read! What magazine was that from? I'm guessing it was 1951 or 2?

5. Evel

Evel
    1. 60s Show Rods

Man that rules... There is allot of cool hot rod history there,,

I got this at "Hot Rod Ink" in Maui... how could I not get tattooed at a place with that
    name... this is my 14th Tiki tatooed on me :D

[​IMG]

6. Jive-Bomber

Jive-Bomber

Its from "Best Hot Rods" 1952... I'll be posting more from that magazine. Great stuff in there.

7. Jive-Bomber

Jive-Bomber

Speaking of Maui-- I've seen this '28 Phaeton there for years-- Looks like an old street rod with IFS and a PS rack, but it looks like good bones. How sweet would it be to bomb around the islands in this???

[​IMG]

8. Jive-Bomber

Jive-Bomber

Speaking of Phaetons, I saw this old Taxi cab around Lahaina a few years ago:
    (notice the extra panel between the front and rear doors)

[​IMG]

9. Evel

Evel
    1. 60s Show Rods

Heres some shots from a few years ago...

From the top of Haleakala
    [​IMG]

Kula in Up Country
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. Jim-Bob

Jim-Bob

http://www.dragrace-kauai.com/

A friend of mine lives/races there. Must be tough. Very few rain-outs though, so you gotta keep your mill together...

11. Evel

Evel
    1. 60s Show Rods

The "Merc" that everyone sees in Maui
    [​IMG]

12. Jim-Bob

Jim-Bob

That '53 on Kauai?

13. Evel

Evel
    1. 60s Show Rods

14. Old-Soul

Old-Soul

yessir.

15. QuakeMonkey

QuakeMonkey

Sorry for the OT comment, but wow, that guy also has a giant Doggie Diner head. It's a fast food place on the Great Highway in San Francisco that just closed again. Those are pretty rare.

16. Jim-Bob

Jim-Bob

The first one was seen at a resort. The other two are my friends cars. He kinda likes Fords, pray for him...The last one is my other friends car (far lane) at the strip there.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 25, 2009
  17. Jim-Bob

Jim-Bob

It's been there for a WHILE. WHEN I move there, I'm gonna buy it...C'MON LOTTERY!!!

18. 64gtoguy

64gtoguy

My Daughter and Ohana (family) live on the island of Oahu,,,, Been there many times, and have seen LOTS of cool stuff, Been scrounging for old cars and parts a few times too!! the Locals are Very proud of their stuff as they should be. Surf wagons out the ying yang !!!

19. Old-Soul

Old-Soul

best of luck! haha

20. autobilly

autobilly

Thanks Jive-Bomber, interesting read.

21. Builtforsin

Builtforsin

I sold a 51 Willys wagon on Oahu in 2004, dunno what ever happened to it though. On Oahu there used to be a car cruise in Kapolei at the Kapolei shopping center off of the Ferrington Highway.

I don't remember if it was a weekly thing or not but there was some interesting stuff that'd show up. I don't know if it is even around anymore.

22. We have street rod friends who live in Hawaii and every other year ship their rod to the mainland for several months of driving and attending events. They were with us over the weekend, just left yesterday on their way to the Frog Follies. We will see them again at NSRA Kalamazoo and Good Guys Joliet before they head west to Super Run, Las Vegas and NSRA Sacramento before putting the rod back on the boat in Oakland.

This is their third trip with rod to the mainland. They won the long distance at Louisville in 2005 with their '32 Ford sedan and this year with a '39 Chev sedan.

Ron wrote an article covering the 2005 trip. If you'd like to read about an ambitious street rod adventure, check here:

http://honolulustreetsmagazine.com/homegrown_cruzinamerica_april06.htm

23. Braddah Jay (Jive-Bomber) ... Cool find!

I'm kinda digging Gordon Pao's chopped & channelled (or is it sectioned?) full fendered Deuce 3wd:

Gordon Pao's Deuce 3wd - front view.JPG Gordon Pao's Deuce 3wd - side view.JPG

... Mahalo for posting!

24. Limey Steve

Limey Steve
    Alliance Vendor
    from Whittier

Carol & I were just on the Big Island (Kona ) & saw a bunch of old cars , 7-8 Model A's mostly stock , custom chopped Merc, 46 Woodie Street Rod, 37 Ford truck & a couple of mid 30's Chevy Hot rod sedans, & we were not even looking. Big scene over there & a drag strip in Hilo !! I have done a deal with a plantation owner in Kona (Originally from Van Nuys & went to the cruises as a kid ) to bring over 100% Kona Coffee labelled "Limey Steve's Hot Rod Coffee " , look for Norwell art & some killer coffee coming soon . Hawaii rules

Aloha

25. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

I've gotta wonder if it's still on the island?
    For that matter, it doesn't seem too far fetched to think that any old Rod from the Island is still
    on the island somewhere as shipping it off the island may not have been worth the extra $$$ on top of a purchase price back in the day.

26. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

we went to Cruise Paradise in 03, with a 40 coupe, it was on the big island--the people were great and had some very nice cars. Herb Leite was the organizer on the island I believe and the local guys (Patrick, Herb's brother and all the club guys) who were hot rod guys did a great job on the cruises, etc. I also worked over there on several islands and as some very nice cars, also there was a show out toward Barber's Point by the Wendy's and the new WalMart and a drag strip there as well. Saw an outstanding 32 black higboy at the Sheraton in Kona as well--was there during the day every day I was working there (approx. 2 weeks)

27. BStoltz

BStoltz

Dam you beat me to it but i was just about to say that car definitely caught my attention. What a killer look!

28. OoltewahSpeedShop

OoltewahSpeedShop

We spent 8 days in Hawaii this year over the 4th of july. Here's the link to alot of cool pics from our trip to the Big Island for Cruise Paradise 2009 and a few shots of Oahu's North Shore. Love it over there, we've been a few times now and plan on going back next summer. There's ALOT of old iron in Hawaii. One guy told us "It's always been here, it's just hidden real well".

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=380593

Kevin
    Ooltewah Speed Shop

29. Carguy365-24-7

Carguy365-24-7

It's funny this thread should come up...I'm on Kauai right now for my honeymoon but I haven't seen any cool cars yet.Plenty of sunshine ,awesum scenery and oh yes roosters crowing.....Paul

30. Jim-Bob

Jim-Bob

Paul! You're with your new wife on the most BEAUTIFUL spot on the planet and you're on the 'net?!?!?!

BTW, get used to the chickens!!! That, and if you do a luau, make sure it's Smith's Tropical Paradise, and do the boat ride to Fern Grotto! For breakfast, I recommend Kountry Kitchen in Kapa'a. Try the Hawaiin French Toast!