Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical SUSPENSION, Dropping axles

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by titus, Dec 13, 2003.

1. titus

titus

hackerbill and mart you are both correct, ther is a gap at the opposite end that allows the exact same amount of travel as the end being dropped, i said it earlier but mybe i had trouble explaing it. thanks for clarifying it with everybody. the peice that goes in the perch bolt hole is the deal that helps stretch the axle. I will try to get another pic of the jig on the cold end. thanks everybody for the positive feedback, i just coulnt believe how easy it was also!!

2. SwitchBlade327

SwitchBlade327

yeah more pics of the jig would be the shit. That'll make it easier for others to build their own. I know I'm dying to make one now, that'll be one of the things to do when the next semester of school starts.

3. titus

titus

Hey thanks again fo the positive feed back on this tech post, i also wanted to mention my buddy brian, hes the one who made this all possible, it all started when another buddy was talking about doing it and i told a few people about the idea and brian was one of them and went ahead a built the jig tried one and then called me to come over and check it out. I came over and we refined the jig added some stops and messed with it and got it all working. he wasnt all that happy about me putting it on here but i told him that its not about keeping things to yourself, your supose to share the good ideas. so i owe a thanks to brian for makeing it all possible. Thanks again TITUS

Last edited: Nov 27, 2017
    bct likes this.
  4. Any idea how much drop would be possible with a '40 axle?

I hope your going to let Brian wear your new T-shirt. [​IMG]

5. titus

titus

the one we dropped we dropped about 2 inches, the problem is that there so short frm the kingpin to the perch.

I offerd him it but he said no!

6. manyolcars

manyolcars

[ QUOTE ]
    the one we dropped we dropped about 2 inches, the problem is that there so short frm the kingpin to the perch.

[/ QUOTE ]Too short?? It sounds as if the jig needs to hold both ends, then use two jacks, heat both ends at the same time and get camber, drop and stretch all at one time.

7. manyolcars

manyolcars

Put yer friend Brian on here so we can talk to him

8. Great tech tip!! How about a picture of the whole jig and not just the ends?

9. Have you guys looked at a brand new forged axle ? I think Competition Engineering has them.

They come "dropped" 4",but sice it's a brand new forging,it hasn't been dropped at all.Yet.
    Hmmmmm................?

10. burndup

burndup
    from Norco, CA

[​IMG] we need someone to make one of those animations showing how it all works! (for all of us with "visual" minds and not t"theoretical" ones) [​IMG]

11. TREDold

TREDold
    from Minnesota

[ QUOTE ]
    Put yer friend Brian on here so we can talk to him

[/ QUOTE ] Brian aka Kelso reads the hamb but isn't registered. Brian is a good friend of mine, and is a STAR hotrodder in the making. He has built a 49 GMC pick-up, a 50 chev pick-up with 455 olds power, a 31 model with a 6 packed sbc and is presently building a model a couple on duce rails with a 371 rocket. Yea he built his own adapter to put the T350 onto the rocket motor. No pictures of that but it is a sweet set up. Did I mention he is only 25 years old, and I have to thank him for all the work he put into my tube chassised Triumph TR6. By the way Titus has built a number of sweet old school cars also. I have some pictures of Brians Model A How do I post them?

12. TREDold

TREDold
    from Minnesota

Picture of Brian's Model A, if it works??

13. TRED:Go here:Questions
    If you go back far enough,you should find what you need to know.

14. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Very old post, but bump worthy.

RICH B and 117harv like this.