Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical BODY, patchin panels with a mig welder (tech)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by kustombuilder, Jan 4, 2004.

1. plan9

plan9

awesome, thanks kustombuilder! a friend and i have assloads of patch work to do on his shitbox... very helpful.

2. Awesome post [​IMG]
    Thanks, kustombuilder!

3. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

I say a group HUG is in order for Kustombuilder on this one. Lets send one to his wife Kris also. She's the one who has to put up with his EGO on a daily basis. hahaha!!!

Frank

4. kustombuilder

kustombuilder
    from Novi, MI

you can keep your hug Frank. i'm secure in MY masculinity but i'm not too secure with (or should that be "convinced of") YOURS [​IMG]!!

if i had a TIG i could do a nicer job (with some practice) but i will be practicing my gas welding on the "FnA". TIG and gas are easier welds to grind plus you can hammer and dolly ON the weld while it's hot and that can help too. maybe someone with more experience with the other two types of welding can do a similar demo and show the differences. ANYONE????

5. My scanner bit the dust, so you'll have to take my word for it. Once you start gas welding sheet metal, you will NEVER mig sheet again! For an experianced metalman like yourself, hammer welding will come easy. Get yourself a Henrob, you'll love that torch.

6. kustombuilder

kustombuilder
    from Novi, MI

i plan to. it's been on my list for a couple years. maybe once i get some steady money comin in again i'll spring for it. i need everything though. my dad took his torches back after i moved out (a few years ago) and since i've had my plasma cutter i have'nt needed on as much. still, it'd be handy sometimes, plus the whole welding sheetmetal thing. Paul Beck has been teachin me a littel. well, sorta. i asked him last year if he would teach me and he said "NO. you'll teach yourself. but i'll point you in the right direction." i guess it's not something you can completely be taught. practice practice practice! pretty much how i learn anything. that and looking at pictures [​IMG]

7. zibo

zibo
    from dago ca

I agree with tinbender.
    I figured out the gaswelding thing,
    and am embarassed at the previous work
    done on almost all sheetmetal work done so far.

It's not that the end result isn't good,
    its the amount of effort to take it there is un-necessary.

plus the metal likes the gas alot more,

tp aka zibo

8. Missing Link

Missing Link

Excellent post. Excellent. Very good info here.

9. HotRodDrummer

HotRodDrummer

nice work Mike ...very good tech

10. kustombuilder

kustombuilder
    from Novi, MI

thank you thank you thank you!!! your too kind. i'll be signing autographs in the lobby, $10 each [​IMG]