Register now to get rid of these ads!

Motion Pictures Detroit Will Rise

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Apr 11, 2012.

1. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

2. Rpmrex

Rpmrex
    from Indiana

That is an interesting story. It seems he has electric, but no running water would be tough.

I some times think solitude would be fine with me.

3. I'm happy for him if he likes it but I couldn't live that way. Although I would love to have the property I would like to see it much more organized.

4. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

He mentioned something about being the on site caretaker for the owner-no doubt in exchange for "free rent".
    Not a bad deal, but man what a cluttered shop!

Desolate for sure, but it seems to suit him. I can only imagine how scary that place could be during the night hours. Rats, dogs start barking. Is someone trying to break in?

5. diamonddrew

diamonddrew

Great attitude. There are a few in the city that are like that. We need more and Detroit will rise again!
    Thanks for sharing Ryan.

6. BISHOP

BISHOP

Nothing sounded very happy in his voice, depressing. Seems like he is just there till something bad happens.

7. BigNick1959

BigNick1959

Strange, he doesn't seem to have much but he does have a computer, is he on the HAMB?

To tell you the truth, after the ass beating life has given me over the last 4 years retiring to a large building and dropping off the gride doesen't sound half bad!

8. pumpman

pumpman

I couldn't live in a place like that, but that's me. It is so sad to see what was a beautiful complex just left to crumble, that really bothers me. But what is cool amongst all that despair a human being has found peace. Good for him.

9. farmergal

farmergal
    from somewhere

great video. As sad as his story is; he's right. The majority of people in America (especially the younger generations) don't really understand Detroit and what the problem is. to see a city; the was such a major contributer to this nation, in such shambles is an absolute shame. I work in manufacturing and we do a lot of medical business because it's the only type of business that cant be shipped to china for safety reasons. We attened a lot of plastics shows and conventions and the chinese come to these things in droves with cameras in hand trying to get pictures of everything the American's bring to put on display. We had very large injection molds on display and these people were trying to get as many pictures as they could and they didnt care if they got yelled at. Why were they doing this? to go back to china and hopefully build such things to compete with the business the Americans are trying to drum up back home. I understand the convenience of chinese-made products and the overall money saving reasons for doing it....but investors and corporate America is ruining this country for the sake of greed. I sure do hope Detroit can rise again from the ashes because, right now, this country needs a lot of help.

10. bluthndr

bluthndr

Dude! That building is like an automotive cathedral! Awesome place. All the junk can be cleaned up, but that building... wow.

11. I completely understand this guy.

I lived in a warehouse for a time... It had A/C, electricity and running water, it had a toilet and a small bathroom sink only, not water heater, no bath or shower. The no shower thing was the worst part and the best part... I never knew where I'd be taking a shower... it was a conversation starter. :D

Low rent... Had a waterbed in an office, I left the heater off in the summer, heater on in the winter... Microwave... Mini-fridge... Pulled my motorcycle in the front door at night... During the week the neighboring warehouses were MC shops, car shops... one was even a donut bakery... They were there if I needed something.

At night, NOBODY was there, no noise, no cable TV, nobody bothered me, nobody wanted to come over... No distractions... no windows... Had my drawing table, tools and a (pre-internet 386DX) computer... It was relaxing, like a cocoon.

Granted, mine was not in a city where the murder rate is 2200% over the national average (I was born North of Detroit... 13 mile road, I left with my parents at age 13)... I felt safe in my warehouse down here in FL, just because it was so isolated at night... His might be the same... But 3 Rotties and a pit bull would certainly help make me feel safe there.

Is that one next door to his open?

12. Chaz

Chaz
    Member Emeritus

I remember when a guy could work at an auto plant, own a home, have a wife that didn"t work, send the kids to college. Driving through Detroit and Chicago you are constantly reminded of a time when an actual PRODUCT was what America was about. I"m glad I grew up when I did.

13. Torchie

Torchie

I grew up in the Detroit area and used to pass the Packard plant all the time. This video points out the problem that we seem to have in many cities in this country. We just let things sit and rot until they are nothing more than scrap. And then we piss and moan about the way things used to be.
    This complex should of and could of been rehab'd for many uses. How many new plants have been put up since 1956. One day those will all look like the Packard Plant. But as always newer is better.

14. 1320/150

1320/150

I wish I grew up when you did!!

15. okiedokie

okiedokie
    from Ok

Believe I will clean the shop today.

16. rdemilt

rdemilt
    from so florida

Very sad to see what has become of the Packard plant,
    I dont know... but I hope the guy has a few friends.

17. dodored

dodored
    from Concord NC

I totally get what he is saying. I live in a 100,000 square foot old mill warehouse myself, and it was kind of spooky to begin with. Those old buildings talk at night. But after 4 months living here I feel very much at home. I have an office converted into an apartment, and I walk three steps to work on my projects. Definitely not for everyone, but as a single guy I find it very peaceful. Everything is organized and neat, as clutter makes my anxious.

18. GARY?

GARY?

well put.

I just did the drive from Reno to Wichita on Ol' route 50. Alot of once great old towns, buildings and houses crumbling. Kind of sad.

19. 1929rats

1929rats

Excellent Post ---- exactly the right thing for me to see today.....

20. I will always remember Detroit as it was in the fifties. I would be curious as to who owns the Packard building and how they acquired it.

21. Wow, he's truely living free. That's wonderful.

22. notrod13

notrod13
    from long beach

if the wife and dog left me tomorrow that would be me .... no problem.

23. nvr2lo

nvr2lo

I totally get, our wants in life are different from person to person. Sometimes simplicity, and peace are worth more then the "life". Halfpipe on one end of the shop, and my shop on the other. I would have to organize some thought,that would drive me nuts...

24. Duration

Duration
    from Wayne, MI

from across the country and around the world, people make their minds up about what detroit is. or isnt. I grew up there and still live and work there. i raised one child there. its a good place filled with good people. pick the "worst" neighborhood and you can still drive through, talk to people and be treated with respect if you do the same. i have gone to pick up cars from areas with burned out buildings and gang tags every where and had total strangers apear out of the buildings to help load up. they like to see the hope of something old being saved. they have not given up. true detroiters never do. and never will.

25. Lucky77

Lucky77

Here's a few recent pics of the Packard plant. It's a really spooky place. I love automotive history and Detroit, but this place is gone. If you drive down Mt. Elliot you can see a multi story collapse. It's gutted, and usually on fire about 3-4 times per
    month. Its sad for sure but I don't know how the Packard could ever be rehabbed?

Attached Files:

26. I'm not understanding the logic of this "Profit is Greed" type thinking. Without profits, Detroit would have never been great - no jobs - no innovation, no growth. Profit is what has allowed us to enjoy the standard of living and abundance we have enjoyed for the last 100 years. Profit benefits everyone. We would all like to buy better quality American products over some of the inferior products produced in China for the same price, but face it - the reason it's not possible is high labor costs, one of the world's highest tax corporate tax rates, and government over-regulation. We've killed the goose that layed the golden egg and it has nothing to do with investors or "corporate greed".

I would love to see Detroit rise again...but it ain't never going to happen in the current climate or with this type of thinking.

27. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

I'd be packing 2 glocks and a supply of 15 round clips if I lived there. got to be all sorts of low life thievin bastards coming around there at night.

28. BStoltz

BStoltz

29. dustdevil

dustdevil
    from illinois

Great video! I actually had the luxury of getting a tour of the plant last summer by a friend some may know "Kevin Carter". He did a wonderful job explaining where things used to be and how much it has decayed and been torn apart over the years. Mr. Wells was with us and video taped a lot of the tour. It would definitely not be something to go see unless your were with someone who knew what was going on. People were scavenging metal and I-beams while we were there. Lots of strange stuff in there. Like I said though, I'm glad I had the chance to see it and do a little adventuring. Someday it will be gone forever as a pile of rubble and no one will be able to appreciate what it was. Well done video.

30. farmergal

farmergal
    from somewhere

i think your misunderstanding me. Corporate america/individual investors are all about making as much money as they can by sending products to be made in China when they could very well be made here. Sure it would be a tad more expensive but you'd be employing Americans and feeding American families right here at home. Instead; they're sending their companies to China to be manufactured in factories with child labor and poor working conditions. On top of that; their workers who keep these products on the market are paid dirt cheap, live in the slums, and have virtually nothing to their name. Why? for the sake of you and I having cheaper products and for the sake of Corporate America filling their pockets at the expense of someone else's turmoil...they have no job elsewhere and its all theyve got.

You need to realize that this country started going down the shitter the minute jobs and businesses started going overseas and Detroit, MI is the finest example of that. If things were still made here; people would have jobs, we wouldnt have a high unemployment rate, and welfare would be much lower. Once jobs left, the American people became lazy; started living off the systems and the government holds their hand on everyone's asses now. The blue collar job to support your family isnt what the younger generations are taught to strive for, nope, everyone needs to go to college and get high paying jobs off of rediculous college degrees. You're taught to strive for as much money as possible and a lot of them are involved in corporate america who get their wealth from sending jobs to China. No one is willing to work with their hands anymore and its an entire cycle feeding itself.

When America starts taking pride in their products....whats MADE IN AMERICA; then maybe everyone will wake up. The foundation of a great country, a successful country, and happy people....is great products that are made here at home. When it's made here; the money stays here. You invest in your company, your employees, their families, your town, your state, your customers, other local vendors, and your country. when products are made here; the economy strengthens and the workforce is strong and proud. I am so jelous of perhaps the greatest generations that ever lived... from the 30's, 40's, 50's, and even into the 60's. When a blue collar job could get you a decent house, a nice family, a nice car, and money to enjoy life. I have friends straight out of college with over 70K in college tuition loans and they are JOBLESS after 2 years! I'm confident American AND detroit can live again; it just depends on where this country goes in the next few years