Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Andy Southard's '56 Ford Victoria

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Ryan, Dec 30, 2011.

1. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

2. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

I should mention... I ran this article half hoping that Rikster would see it and post more shots of the '56. It's odd that there aren't more shots of it around as Andy was a hell of a photographer.

3. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

I am a huge fan of these type of customs. They're really clean, approachable and I'm a sucker for a slight california rake on cars like these. Lake pipes, striping, lots of shiny stock details....it's indicative of later half of the 50's. Is that Chrysler Metallic green?

Side note, I'm a big fan of the front grilles on these cars. It's just got some really sexy lines.

4. Rikster

Rikster

There are two photos of the car in Andy's Custom Cars of the 1950's book. One in black and white and one in color sitting next to a roadster pick up.

Thats all I have of it... as far as I know.

5. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Yeah, I've got those two as well... I just didn't want to cut my book up to scan them appropriately.

I'll email Andy and see if he has any.

6. gassercrazy41

gassercrazy41

its an absolute beauty...

7. henrys_way

henrys_way
    from Maine

I really have a thing for the 56 Vic's. i think they have the Chevys of the same era beat. This one is done just right!

8. axle

axle
    from Drag City

I've always loved that Vicky. "Less is more" worked in that case . Andy took 77,000 photo's back then, so the amazing book he did in the early 90's obviously shows a fraction of what he did. Always wonder why he didn't do more books.

9. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

He also made a TON of video... I would love to see that stuff.

10. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

I love this car

11. Jonnie King

Jonnie King
    from St. Louis

Ryan,

Love it ! The '56 is sometimes the "Forgotten 50's Ford" as most kustomizer's headed for the '55 & '57 Models. (Sometimes that was the same case with '56 Chev's)

I had a close family friend, when I was a kid and just really getting into cars, and he had a beautiful Turquoise & White '56 Vicky Hardtop that I dearly loved ! (He'd traded in an equally stunning '50 Olds 88 HdTp.)

Sometimes, when we'd go to visit their family on Sunday's he'd take me for a ride in that oh-so-neat machine...and I was the happiest kid in St. Louis for the next hour or so !!

Thanks for bringing back my memories of these neat 56s' !

Jonnie

12. Cincinnati Slim

Cincinnati Slim
    from Cincy, OH

I've also worn out my copies of all his books and still reference for ideas all the time.

I like his Vicky, but I really dug the '58 Impala. Since both are probably lost to time, either would make a good subject for a clone.

13. Evel

Evel
    1. 60s Show Rods

I love all that Andy has done.. I have read those books maybe a 100,000,00 times front to back.. he is a legend!!

As for Video I would love to see what he's got and if theres any way I could help produce
    somthing for him.. I would be honored..

Ryan.. maybe mention that we all want to see his video stuff.. :D

14. Rikster

Rikster

Here are the two scans of the Andy Southard book CUSTOM CARS of the 1950's

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. axle

axle
    from Drag City

I will always set up my cars - pre 1955 = Skirts . Post 1954 = no Skirts and a "California rake".

Last edited: Dec 30, 2011
  16. One56

One56
    from Sweden

As for videos, they are. I have Andy Southards car slides vol 1 and vol 2. One little mention in Rod & Custom under the guidance of Pat Ganahl made my day.
    There are over 500 slides on each video and the first cover 55-59. The second 59-60.
    I know there are moore and some of them even had pictures that move ( real video)
    Go hunt them

17. oldcarfart

oldcarfart

2X on '55 & '56, not '57 chevy. '56 crown vic is to die for, had a buddy making a 2 door crown vic wagon, nomad idea, died before on road, damn kids scrapped it for crack $$$ without anyone else getting chance to buy. Did I mention I hate kids?

18. Rot 'n Kustom

Rot 'n Kustom

The Victoria was a beauty for sure, but the car that that stuck in my mind since age 10 was his 1958 Impala. That was the car that started my custom cravings.

I bought a '58 Belair back around 1980, customized and took it to all the customs shows like the first Sled Scene East and Lead East.

By coincidence, I was reading about my favorite car just this morning.
    CAR SPEED and STYLE, March 1960.

Attached Files:

19. Definitely one of the finest looking mild customs ever! I have had the privilege of speaking with Andy over the phone for the past couple years and he is a great person.
    I had sent him a couple of my custom hand painted plates and hand made display brushes awhile back.He surprised me by sending a bunch of pictures and all of his videos including a couple that aren't on the market.One is called simply 1952-1961 and is a collection of home movies he made crossing the country in his 49 Ford and some cruising pics in California.
    Some of the stills include pics he took of Ed Roth at the 1960 Sacramento Autorama painting T shirts and clowning around.Also some pics of his new garage that he is currently decorating with pictures of stuff he's done over the years.He said it's a bit tough deciding which to display as he has about 17,000 color slides and over 50,000 b&w pictures to choose from.
    I'm still wading through the videos but they are all top shelf stuff and he does sell them.

20. richie rebel

richie rebel

love the 56 fords,always had a soft spot for them, really love this one though........

21. 50Fraud

50Fraud

I certainly agree with taking the unnecessary trinkets off of a '56 Victoria.

[​IMG]

22. Ken Carvalho

Ken Carvalho

^--- I've mentioned it before, that one is VERY nice also.

23. flamingokid

flamingokid

Another Beauty.BTW,when I was in the hospital,I was reading my Rod and Restyling when I fell asleep.I dreamt that I found that car in a barn and bought it.I woke up and realized it was a dream,but it seemed so vivid that it stuck with me.

24. BIGB0SS E.D.D.

BIGB0SS E.D.D.
    from Oklahoma

I think this is a man who is realy into green.

25. parklane

parklane

Anybody got a shot of the rear?? What taillites was it running?

26. Andy is also a really nice guy, I have talked to him at length on the telephone. Has an incredible memory.

27. He also has all of his books for sale, or did last time I checked. Don't buy them from Amazon, give Andy your money.

28. Silhouettes 57

Silhouettes 57

I've talked to Andy on the phone also and like it was said he is a very nice guy, he even sent me some autographed pictures of himself and his beautiful '40 Merc kustom.
    I have his books and videos and as every one knows are first class.

29. Raven53

Raven53
    from Irwin Pa

Sweet ride, just got to love kustoms..

30. Spooky

Spooky

Hey 50Fraud, that car is a stunner!!! Really dig the whole look. You nailed it!