Register now to get rid of these ads!

Motion Pictures Around The Corner...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, May 20, 2011.

1. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

2. the-rodster

the-rodster

Wonder who actually invented the differential?

Rich

3. pumpman

pumpman

Very cool, thanks Ryan. I reminds me of when I was in grade school and our teacher would show us those educational flicks. It was worth sitting through that long intro.

4. SledDriver

SledDriver
    from California

For all the times I have had to swap out a rear end or a differential, I have never understood exactly how a differential functioned. After seeing this 74 year old footage, now I understand it completely. That's way cool.

Is there a similar video that explains how positraction works? With the clutches? and on the rear ends I use (the 1955-1964 Chevrolets), there is this V thing that a rod sits in... I look at it and I can sort of see how it might work but I'd love to see a film/video explaining this.

Thanks, Ryan.

5. Awesome explaination! Dug that motorcycle footage.
    Can you imagine doing that "running on the tires" demo at the end of the video in todays world..... No lawyer would have it.

6. K. Thornton

K. Thornton

great explaination. Thank you

7. 33-Chevy

33-Chevy

That was excellent. Can you imagine a Police Force letting it's members do that today? The explanation of the differential was good. I have seen short segments of what I suspect is a much longer film showing the building of the 1936 Chevrolet Master, the frame, the engine, the knee action front end and probably more. Does anybody kinow if this is a full length film and where can you buy it?

8. bowtiemyk

bowtiemyk

Great Auto Shop film! I love the drill team on real murderscycles with foot clutches and hand shifters. Those would be Knuckleheads or JD's also the 37 Chevy at the end was nice. Show us more films like this when you find them.

9. stude_trucks

stude_trucks

I like the demo of the exposed driveshaft inside the car starting at around 7:50. Notice they just imply it would be inconvenient and awkward. Nothing about getting ripped to pieces if you got caught in it.

10. Ddooce

Ddooce
    from Memphis Tn

I was led to believe it was the Chinese in about 1000BC.
    They were used on steam road locos from the 1870s onwards, first auto use Karl Benz. No surprise there!

11. flamingokid

flamingokid

Always informational and inspirational.

12. Thanks Ryan... haven't seen this in a while.

I enjoyed the educational films so much that I started collecting the videos off of youtube a couple of years ago by placing them in my favorites.

Right now I have enough of them to post one a day for a year now!

13. oldcarfart

oldcarfart

14. lowongas

lowongas

THAT was WAY TOO cool..!!! Man,I remember watching those films in class back in the day....THANKS RYAN..!!!!!

15. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Love seeing footage like that. Thanks for posting

16. 1320/150

1320/150

The only thing missing was the film projector noise!!!

Ah the good ol days. Its funny how simplification really clears things up!!! cool vid!!!!!

17. 32ford5

32ford5
    from Australia

lol at 7:43..."Of course we could lower the floor and ceiling..." instant animated chop and channel. Cool.

Those small bias tyres are cool too.

18. Pharouh

Pharouh

Very educational! Thanks for posting! I never really understood that either.

19. swimeasy

swimeasy

Good to see that one again-one of my favorites!

20. This kind of stuff is so cool. Too bad they dont have auto shop in high schools any more. These kinds of films have alot more info than any static explaination in a book.
    Hey Wingnutz! Why not throw out a link/list of those youtube vids?

21. autobilly

autobilly

Interesting and entertaining old training film. As for the guys standing on the seats of them sickles, I rode a rigid HD every day for years (back when I was a real Hoodlum) but can never understand how they do that.

22. Not only was this highly entertaining, but also went along with all the talk on this morning's F-1 race about how much the diff has on car control. Brought back memories of all the films we watched in High School Auto shop. Wonder how many young technicians truly understand some of these automotive fundamentals. :confused:
    JT

23. I started a thread like that a while ago...

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?p=5532152#post5532152

I don't want to Hi-jack this one from Ryan!

Last edited: May 23, 2011
  24. RichtersRodz

RichtersRodz

Very cool video.. Had to watch it in "mute" mode at work, and I still liked it! I've
    swapped out a few gears in my 12 bolt before, but never figured out how it worked
    completely. This video makes it look like such a simple task..

25. Very interesting. I never really understood how the differential worked....now I know.

The motorcycle stunts were pretty slick too!