Register now to get rid of these ads!

'58 Chevy truck 6 lug to 5 lug front conversion

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by a58chevy, Jun 22, 2006.

1. a58chevy

a58chevy

Anyone know how much it would be to convert the 6 lugs to five? It still has the stock brakes and straight axle.Not looking for a disc conversion or anything, just a simple lug conversion. I have looked around and no one seems to know. Help please!!!!

2. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

I'd say the disc conversion is a better bet than just trying to find the correct 5 lug drums. Though a master cylinder upgrade should accompany the discs....

3. Deuce Roadster

Deuce Roadster
    Member Emeritus

On the front ... stock 53 - 54 Chevrolet car hubs and brake drums bolt right on ... giving you 5 lug wheels. In the rear ... the easiest way is to change the entire rear end over the a Chevrolet car rear end ... with the 5 lug wheels.

:)

4. I used some 51-52 hubs & drums on my 2nd series 55. Easy fit no mods.
    Max

Last edited: Mar 13, 2011

5. Primer Gray

Primer Gray

Yeah, we did this on a '56 Cameo...ok, the truck started life as a '57 stepside, but it's a '56 Cameo now...with 53 Chevy hubs on the front.

6. DE SOTO

DE SOTO

Take The Hub & Drum Assy To A Good Machine Shop And Have Them Re~drill Any Bolt Pattern Ya Want In Them.............

7. squirrel

squirrel

get the front hubs and drums from a 51-54 car, and the rearend from a 55-57 chevy car, or a 70s Camaro, you'll have to do some spring perch work on the rearend, but it's a pretty easy swap either way.

Trying to get 5 lug front wheels to fit over the 6 lug hubs would be a challenge.

49-50 car hubs/drums are different, as they used the older Huck style brakes.

8. a58chevy

a58chevy

Thanks for the info everyone.

9. BigDave

BigDave
    from St.Louis

Hey, Hows it going guys. Im looking to do the exact opposite. I have a 1940 Ford P/U with a 57 chevy rear end, and a straight axle front. both have 5 lug. I bought a set of wheels thinking they would work. They were for a chevy. Didnt realize they were 6 lug wheels. Anybody know where I can get the parts to convert my 5 lug to a 6 lug, or where I can buy a six lug rear end? Thanks for your input in advance.

10. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

I have both sitting in the shop. come and get them cheap...

11. Lucky Strike

Lucky Strike

6 lug rear ends are not hard to come up with. I'm runnin' a 1980s blazer rear end in the back of my 58 Apache. 6 bolt, the width is correct, and I did not do any thing, other than bolt it in.

On the front, get a hold of Flat Top Bob at Owen's Salvage. (he is an alliance vendor) and I'm sure he can set you up with the correct beam axle you need with hubs and spindles, and bakes attached.

I have the stock setup in front except i converted to disk brakes with a kit from CCP and a "corvette style" dual circuit master. Stops great. When you get the front axle you will want to put in new king pins.

Laters,
    L.S.M.F.S.T.

12. BigDave

BigDave
    from St.Louis

I'd love to come on over and get it, But your in NC, and Im in St.Louis. shipping might be a little on the high side:eek:. What would you sell the rear end for, and whats the messurments? Thanks, Dave

13. BigDave

BigDave
    from St.Louis

Thanks for the info. I'll check into that rear end at the local Junkyard.

14. oldapache58

oldapache58
    from California

I have what you need . I just changed my 58 chevy over to discs and have the complete hub and drum setup that will work , for sale or ??? Hope to hear from ya oldapache58 said it .......

15. freak2180

freak2180

Anyone have a clue as to where to get new 50-54 car hubs from? Ive checked everywhere I know of and cant find them. I have located the drums and bearings but no luck with the actual 5 lug hubs.

16. a friend just used a stock unbolted unit out of a chevy van welded tabs for the uper a arms and is driving disks P/S all on stock spindels

17. squirrel

squirrel

51-54 hubs...you need to find used hubs. no need for anyone to reproduce them, they don't wear out, and most guys get rid of them when they redo their cars.