Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1932 desoto sc roadster

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 72mgb, Sep 12, 2013.

1. 72mgb

72mgb
    from Texas

I just bought a 32 Desoto sc roadster. This is a whole new ride for me. It runs good and has a flat six in it. I need some door latches and hinge assemblies. Can anybody help me out with a lead where to find them.

2. F&J

F&J

Very rare car. The body is shared with 32 Plymouth roadster, as far as doors and rear part.

I doubt anyone is repro'ing the hinges and latches, as they are unique to roadster/phaetons.

i would not be shocked if the hinges/latches from 28 up Ply or 29 up DeSoto roadsters/phaetons would be different, but good used parts would be tough to find.

Both can be rebuilt by handwork. Latch springs are available in NOS NORS, as they came in assortments, color coded.

3. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

I think you mean flathead six. Calling it a flat six stamps you as a newbie.

These guys should be able to help. They are the DeSoto experts.

http://forums.aaca.org/f153/

4. 4woody

4woody

Post some pics. I'd like to see lots of details- never seen one in person.
    I know it is cool though!

5. Before you get raked over the coals, it has a flat HEAD six, not a flat six. Subarus and Corvairs have flat sixes

6. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

Ha ha ha Carl now I've got you doing it.

What do you hear from Mahatma Kane Jeeves?

7. plym_46

plym_46
    from central NY

Technically it's a sidevalve inline 6 cylinder. There were 2 6's available in 32 a 205 ci with a
    4 1/8 inch stroke, and a 217 ci with a 4 3/8 in stroke. 72 and 75 HP respectively. Your engine number located on the block above the generator should start with an S if its a
    De Soto engine, the cylinder head should measure 25 inches long. You can measure the stroke of the engine by pulling the pipe plug in the head over #6 cylinder, inserting a stiff piece of wire, about 8 inches long, and rotating the engine by hand. the wire will ride the top of the piston through its stroke and allow you to get a measurement. Post your engine number when you find it.

Your engine has a very low compression ratio, less than 6 to 1. You can pick up a lot of grut through milling the head.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2013
  8. Lately, he's been seen in the company of Sneed Hearn. Two reprobates that I avoid like a hard days work. Scoundrels !

9. ezdusit

ezdusit

Your hinges should look like these in my 1932 Plymouth Model PB roadster. I don't think there are any repros available. If you don't have yours available to make patterns, please PM me. Good luck -- nice car.

Attached Files:

10. paul55

paul55
    from michigan

the EMI (Experimental) 32 chevy roadsters used a very similar hinge. Check Bow Tie reproduction in OH. These look very close to '31 chevy as well.

11. F&J

F&J

...and you might have a missing piece to that hinge in the pic.

There was a sheetmetal tab, held by the top small screw, that covered up the notch so that the door could not be lifted up off the hinge pin.

One thing I don't recall, is if both hinges on one side had that safety clip, or if just one per side?

12. Stevie Nash

Stevie Nash

1 post stamps him as a newb....

13. 32Auburn

32Auburn
    from Oregon

I assume this is the car that was on the Austin TX CL for 25k, if so you're on the wrong site, get thee to the AACA forum, it's too nice to rod anyway.

14. would be nice to see a photo of the car .... =)

does not sound like a car that you see everyday nor hear about tho ....

15. Weasel

Weasel

There's one for sale on fleabay right now....

cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Other-Makes-32-DESOTO-SC-ROADSTER-1932-desoto-sc-rumble-seat-roadster-rare-/130999453383?pt=US_Cars_Trucks&hash=item1e802d06c7&vxp=mtr

16. ezdusit

ezdusit

I've seen that car on ePay before and it never sold. I suspect the reserve is way too high for the condition. It looks like a very complete car, but the new owner better have lots of metalworking skill or very deep pockets.

17. 72mgb

72mgb
    from Texas

Yes the ones I have removed are exactly the same as yours.

18. 72mgb

72mgb
    from Texas

The plugs are in the top of the head pointing strait up.