Register now to get rid of these ads!

37' Chevy sedan or pickup frame?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Sunnfjordingen, Aug 11, 2012.

1. Sunnfjordingen

Sunnfjordingen
    from Norway

Is there a difference between them, and how can I see it from a (not to good) photo?

Ronny :)

2. Rogueman

Rogueman

I'd like to know too. I'm building a 37 chevy coupe. The frame came with a straight axle. I was told years ago that it was a truck because of that.

3. JEM

JEM

The Master Deluxe was the only '37 that got the Dubonnet IFS, and due to reliability problems with the Dubonnet pods (rope-seal leakage and needle-bearing failure on the trailing-arm shaft) GM offered a conversion kit to put a solid axle in them.

4. Penetrator

Penetrator
    from SK CAN

Truck frames are open "C channel".

[​IMG]

Car frames are closed "hat channel" like this '39.

[​IMG]

5. Normbc9

Normbc9

Penetrator,
    Good information and there are a lot of differences in the sedan, coupe, and pickups for Chevrolet in 1937. There was even a Canopy Express that was different too.
    Normbc9

6. why not both, can't believe someone would hook a coupe rear to a pickup cab. it's a beaut huh?

Attached Files:

7. Sunnfjordingen

Sunnfjordingen
    from Norway

So I bought the car :D

Last edited: Dec 29, 2013
  8. raymay

raymay

The Australian Ute made by Holden in 1937 was a utility car/truck combination. Not sure what frame they used but I do know some Ute's have turned up in other countries. Would be nice to see a picture of your 37.

Attached Files:

9. Joe H

Joe H

This may help, http://chevy.oldcarmanualproject.com/chevyresto/37index.htm , I went through the '37 '38 and 39' packets and saw no body numbers XBGB. Recheck the ID plate and make sure the numbers are correct. It could be a import. Chevrolet never used a car body on a truck frame here in the US. My '37 Chevrolet Engineering Manual makes no mention of a combination car/truck. The frames are clearly different. The 2 seat closed body just means it was four passenger or more with a hard top, could be a number of body types.

Someone just changed out a truck cab with a car body all on the original truck frame. The frames were not marked with VIN numbers, the title should have a engine serial number for the VIN number. The body number or ID number XBGB was never used on the titles. Since truck and cars never share any sheet metal or frames, I bet it was cobbled together. Master car frames used the straight axle, deluxe was the upgrade option when looking at car types.

Joe

10. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

They used passenger car frames and from the doors forward, passenger car sheet metal. Rear body was unique to Australia. Some earlier panel vans (Sedan deliveries) used a commercial body on a passenger car frame.

Might be a special order, cab / chassis combination with delivery / panel body option.

Not an Ozzie frame or engine number sequence. Any photos?

11. Joe H

Joe H

12. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

Not an Ozzie body as the side pressings on Holden bodies end at cowl and don't extend into front door. Looks to be a open 'C' section commercial chassis with 1930's 6 stud Chevy wheels? Coach built back?

13. raymay

raymay

Hard to see the body line on the back fabrication in the pictures. If it was built that way, it should have the same lines as the ones on the doors and hood. From the doors forward it is definitely a 37 Chevy 4dr sedan body. They used this part of the car for building the Sedan Delivery which was a coach kit from the doors back. The 2dr and coupe bodies have doors that are about 10" longer.
    Frame does look like a truck frame. Overall wheelbase looks a little short in the pictures which could suggest it might not be the same frame this body was on.
    Looks like it will make a cool one of a kind project. You could go pickup style with a separate bed or find the back half of a donor car and create your own design. I usually start with pictures and build diecast or plastic models. It helps me with design ideas and how the finished build might look. Plus when I sell a car I still have a nice little memory sitting on the shelf to enjoy.
    Good luck and have some creative fun with your build.

Attached Files:

14. Neat. It seems as thought someone must have been converting them at some point now that a second one has been found. It is definitely a '37 Chev truck frame. Those frame horns on the front that the spring hanger and front bumper irons attach to are a dead give away.

15. Sunnfjordingen

Sunnfjordingen
    from Norway

Does anyone know a good site on the internet where I might identify the ID-plate numbers?

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

16. Leakie

Leakie

17. Sunnfjordingen

Sunnfjordingen
    from Norway

No luck, still searching for the "XBGB"- id...

18. 24riverview

24riverview

19. 24riverview

24riverview

20. heres a 37 truck frame for comparison;

Attached Files:

21. I can tell it's a Chevy by the Cat foot prints:eek:

22. see any evidence of mice?

23. Good Point!:cool:

24. Sunnfjordingen

Sunnfjordingen
    from Norway