Register now to get rid of these ads!

*MrModelT and Powerwagonmaniac build a T speedster in 6 months!*

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by MrModelT, Jun 23, 2010.

1. MrModelT

MrModelT

Hello H.A.M.B.ers!

The summer driving and cruising season is upon us once again so like the rest of us, it time for me to start changin' oil, greasin' zerks, fillin' gas tanks and tires and polishing up the brass and chrome on all the cars at my buddies shop....and on my T when I get it back, but that is another story.

My good buddy Chris (powerwagonmaniac) and his family have become like family to me over the years and it was actually his dad Bill that sold me the little '26 roadster that would become my lil' black roadster that you all know and tought me everything I know about how to make a project like that work. Both he and Chris helped me put the roadster together and it wouldn't be on the road had they not been there.

Bill has unfortunately been dealing with heath issues (poor joints and leg problems from years of commercial sand blasting) and major depression over the last year or 2 and, as a result, has not had any interest in the cars at all (a total 180 from his usual manor) which has been hard on all of us. Chris also has a wife and little boy of his own now, so does not have much time to help service all the cars up for Bill as he used to do, so I volunteered to handle the maintenance on all the cars in the Becker collection.

This year we were very surprised to see him become excited about car season! I made an effort to get all cars (the 1917 Hupmobile, 1919 Model T, 1906 Holsman "Auto-Buggy") ready, repair and tuned for him to start driving again only to discover he can physically no longer drive any of them, even his 1919 T touring...a car he has put more mile on then I can fathom! His poor joints and medications prohibit him from even getting his feet on the pedals or even getting behind the wheel of them...which was a big blow for him.

Because of this, Chris and I are wanting to but together a another T for him, something simple and low to the ground that he won't have any trouble getting in or out of and be able to drive comfortably. We have a large amount of T stuff already (frame, front/ rear axles, springs, wheels, etc) so we should have a pretty good start

...Oh! and I should mention that this is also going to be a surprise for him...he has no idea we are putting this together for him! ;)

Just thought I would post an update on the Chris and I's T speedster project for his Dad, Bill.

So far we got the first batch of parts in the paint booth and got them in color Saturday afternoon (after Bill went up for a nap :D), then whisked them over to my garage for assembly (since my T roadster is still on vacation in California and so Bill won't see it).

The color Chris chose is '68 Pontiac "Verdoro Green Metallic"...such a hideously gorgeous color :D

We have managed to locate an engine from a nice Model T Club member in Renton, WA, but we do have a long way to go yet.

Here are a few shots of the painted parts in my garage awaiting assembly.

More To come, so stay tuned!

Attached Files:

2. Cool! can't wait.:D

3. cruiserbuddy

cruiserbuddy
    from Germany

Keep them pics comin'!

4. model.A.keith

model.A.keith

Looks like a cool build. how will you handle the pedals and shift ??

Keith

5. MrModelT

MrModelT

Here are a few update shots. Got one wheel pinstriped...I'm still a beginner, but I'm improving! Also have the seats and gas tank painted and started laying out the patterns for the fenders.

Attached Files:

6. chaddilac

chaddilac

Wow!! that's cool!

7. MrModelT

MrModelT

I put in a few hours last night pin striping and got the gas tank, rear wheels, seats and spare tire carrier done..don't have pictures yet, but will tonight!

Tomorrow I will be getting '26 Durrant radiator shell and the 1917-21 Packard headlights ready for refinishing and will start laying out the front fenders which are a combination of 1913 White, '14 Hupmobile and '12 Brush. All 3 designs will be "mixed" to create a unique set of fronts for the car.

More to come as we come down the wire to the big Christmas reveal...so stay tuned!

MrModelT

8. Sounds great Clayton! So, have you put together a sketch yet?

9. MrModelT

MrModelT

Why....yes! How did you know you know? :D

This is my preliminary concept sketch for the car. It is heavily based on a Mercer Raceabout but has, and will have many features and rare goodies...would you expect any less? :D

Clayton

Attached Files:

10. MrModelT

MrModelT

Here are a few more of my pin striping exploits as promised.....Not the greatest, but I'm still learning and having fun doing it!

Attached Files:

11. -Brent-

-Brent-

Wow, Clayton, it's awesome! I hadn't heard back from you after I sent the pics, but I see the car is well on its way. Nice job, fellas!

12. MrModelT

MrModelT

Thanks Brent! When did you send pictures? :confused: I haven't received anything from you in awhile. I will PM you with my email to confirm I gave the right address.

13. 117harv

117harv

WOW! Outstanding colors, dig those seats.

14. MrModelT

MrModelT

The color combo is actually based on a 1911 Pope-Hartford in the Harrah Collection in Reno. It's almost "appliance green" color with O.D. green ribbing and orange pin striping is a seemingly atroshious combination...but looks great on a car from this era! Chris's Dad loved this color combo so much that he decided to do his 1913 White GAF in the same scheme....and since he worked for Harrah's at the time, Bill Harrah and Ralph Dunwoodie mixed him a quart of each correct color.

When Chris and I began this T project, we decided this was the only logical color choice....but decided to add a twist to it: make it metallic. As it turned out, '68 GTO Verdoro Green is almost a dead ringer and had it tweaked a bit to match the original Pope-Hartford color.

15. ironandsteele

ironandsteele

this will surely rule. can't wait to see it.

16. super cool! keep the pic's coming.

17. MrModelT

MrModelT

Thanks guys! It will hopefully turn out awesome! Can't wait to give it to Bill on Christmas Morn! :D

18. MrModelT

MrModelT

Hello All!

Here are a few new pictures from last night. Got the rear tires mounted on the split rims and bolted up on the wheels /axles. The engine also came over to the garage and will be getting a fresh coat of "Ford Blue" and some detailing work. I should be dropping it in the frame tonight as well!

Stay tuned for more!

MrModelT

Attached Files:

19. MrModelT

MrModelT

Hello Fellow H.A.M.B.ers!

Thought I would post an update on the Speedster. So far I have all the suspension hung, tires mounted, engine installed and have her sitting on the ground for the first time. I used a similar lowering style up front to the way I did my roadster which actually made it considerably lower.

Attached Files:

20. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Dude you build some of the coolest fucking things around. A real respect for history.

21. MrModelT

MrModelT

Thanks man!...just hope I can get her done by Christmas :eek:

22. 40WILLYSCRAZY

40WILLYSCRAZY
    from fresno

Very cool !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

23. panheadguy

panheadguy
    from S.E. WI

More about the "Chicago Mark E " trans? Adapter, etc.
    Gonna be a real cool job.
    Thanks

24. MrModelT

MrModelT

The Chicago Mark "E" overdrive is actually the transmission that is in my T roadster. The transmission slated for this speedster is a Rocky-Mountain "6-Speed", which is a sequential shift aux. O.D. (under: lever forward, direct: lever in the middle, over: lever all the way back) that mounts to the rear axle (like a early Stutz) making it essentially a trans-axle. The R-M units were intended for TT trucks, but they still have a decent overdrive ratio. "Universal" also made one specifically for T passenger cars, but they are quite rare. Some of the bearings are tired and need some work and the drive shaft end link is missing and will need to me made up. A friend of mine on the Model T Club forum was nice enough to send me a drive assembly he found in a box of parts that might just work. If I can't get the Rocky-Mountain done in time, I have a 3-Speed "Warford" O.D. that will take it's place.

25. wow, this is going to be awesome. great colour, cool stripping and amazing concept.
    keep up the great work.

26. MrModelT

MrModelT

Thanks Kiwi! This project means allot to both me and Chris..and we know it will mean allot to his Dad :)....can't wait to give it to him :D

I will take some pics of the R-M overdrive/ adapter and get them up tonight or tomorrow.

27. thats a great thing. it would be awesome to see the look on Chris,s dads face. what a great christmas gift.
    you guys rule.

28. MrModelT

MrModelT

I will certainly have my camera there :D

29. Brad54

Brad54
    from Atl Ga

That is exactly the car I want to build when I'm an old man... we're all gonna get to the point where we shouldn't be driving anymore--we'll be off in our own little world, wrapped in a steel cocoon driving 25 in a 50, with the world stacked up behind us and cursing.

An old codger wearing a leather jacket and Bi-Plane goggles driving down the road in that thing would be legendary, and nobody would do anything but smile while they passed him.

No roof means I won't be driving in the rain.
    No headlights means I won't be driving after dark.

T-Speedster means I'll still have my freedom and a hot rod.

I can't WAIT to see your car finished!

Brad

30. MrModelT

MrModelT

Neither can I, just hope we get it done on time!

We hope he will get many miles of enjoyment out of this car.